Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 4,462

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett that (episode 4) was where we called it a night actually. There are a few things which definitely could’ve stirred some anger on both sides of the political spectrum (Y being a bit of a selfish idiot on one hand and society collapsing into chaos under female rule surprisingly quickly on the other)… they’re not affecting our enjoyment too much though.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

At the suggestion of several users, I have been watching Netflix Castlevania. I’m 4 episodes in and I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would. In fact, I had tried the series in the past and didn’t really understand or feel interest in the show the first time around, but this second attempt seemed to click better. I have been really busy so I like how the episodes are really short, at like 20-25 minutes so far. (Although each episode is hardly self contained and they seems to just pick immediately back up where the former one left off)

Overall, what I’m most impressed with is the voice acting. The animation is decent, the storyline is okay, but the way the actors perform their parts has really kept me engaged this go-around.

Similarly, in my brief moments of free time I have also been watching a few more episodes of the refreshingly short What If?… but I’ll put thoughts in the Marvel thread.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Finally got around to finishing Star Wars: Visions recently, and here's how I'd rank 'em.

1) "The Elder" by Trigger
2) "Tatooine Rhapsody" by Studio Colorido
3) "The Village Bride" by Kinema Citrus
4) "The Ninth Jedi" by Production IG
5) "T0-B1" by Science SARU
6) "Lop and Ochō" by Geno Studio
7) "The Twins" by Trigger
8) "Akakiri" by Science SARU
9) "The Duel" by Kamikaze Douga

I'm also halfway through Marvel's What If...? and whilst I'm personally not a fan of the Telltale Game animation style (not to discredit the work of the talented artists involved, of course) I have really enjoyed the episodes I've watched thusfar. Need to get back to the rest soon.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh man, I had no idea Science SARU did a couple of those. I’m much more likely to watch them now, I love Masaaki Yuasa’s work and his protégés are promising too. Disney+ must have a connection with them since they’ve licensed a sequel to The Tatami Galaxy, one of my best anime I’ve ever seen!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, I was surprised to see a couple of studios pulling double duty, as each segment is at least visually distinctive, if not narratively. I figured that Disney had contacted nine studios, not seven. My only advice would be to avoid binge-watching them, as some (particularly the Science SARU ones, given where they're placed in the running order) can easily get lost in the crowd, so to speak.

I'd love Disney+ to feature and promote more anime, and I really hope leveraging the Star Wars brand has helped them justify the cost of doing so to their American shareholders.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

I started watching Arcane on Netflix. It’s an animated series set in the world of League of Legends.
I don’t know the first thing about LoL characters and lore but I gotta say this is worth checking out for the animation alone, because it looks absolutely amazing.
It’s 9 episodes with 6 available now and the final 3 releasing this weekend.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan I posted one of trailers on here a few days go, as I really liked to art style. Good to know it holds up.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Oh boy, Doctor Who was actually good tonight. Like really really good. Glad to see actual love for it from the fandom as well, think everyone’s over Chibnall but that episode has been pretty universally praised!

colonelkilgore

The missus and I binged the whole of The Foundation today. I’ve been looking forward to it since it was first announced and it didn’t disappoint. Probably the best show I’ve watched all year… and maybe my favourite sci-fi show ever (which is a very a tough one to call as I love Battlestar Galactica so… maybe if the subsequent seasons live up to season 1)!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

First two episodes of Hawkeye were pretty good I thought. Worryingly light for what’s essentially 1/3 of the whole show but hopefully there’s more meat in the next couple of episodes. Fraction and Aja’s Hawkeye run is probably my generation’s Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns so it’s an incredibly high bar and this show doesn’t quite have the zip or spark that Fraction’s writing has but it’s a decent attempt. Kate Bishop’s going to be great moving forwards though, the casting’s brilliant and she really captures the spirit of the character. Thinking about it, there’s no way they won’t do Young Avengers now as out of the original lineup they have Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Patriot, Wiccan and Speed already in the MCU. Technically Kang was a member too and they’re fair game. It’s only really Hulkling that hasn’t been introduced and he could easily be written into Secret Invasion. Kamala Khan could realistically be a part of the team too!

LtSarge

So I just started using Disney+ today after having not used it since January this year and holy crap have they added tons of stuff since then! I'm genuinely amazed by all the new content, especially the Marvel TV shows. I feel like I really need to get through all the necessary MCU movies now so that I can watch the TV shows that take place after Avengers Endgame. People have told me that I need to watch the Iron Man, Captain America and Thor movies as well as others before I watch Endgame, which means I need to do all of that before watching the shows.

Gonna have a lot of stuff to watch from here on out, which is good because I'm honestly starting to lose interest in HBO. Everything I start to watch just isn't interesting. I've been watching Doom Patrol and that show is an absolute snoozefest. Then I started watching Walking Dead and because I'm rewatching the last season I watched before stopping, it's also making me lose interest. Finally, I decided to watch True Detective and while that show is very good so far, it just doesn't do anything to stand out. I really have to watch all these shows when I'm in a better mood because apparently I'm in a Disney/Marvel mood right now, lol.

Also, you know what's interesting? A lot of Marvel content that's been removed from Netflix is now on Disney+, such as Marvel's Agent Carter. On top of this, I mentioned a while back that a Marvel show on HBO called Inhumans was removed and now I find it on Disney+, lol. Anyway, there's a lot of other good stuff besides Disney/Marvel content that they've added this year and one show that stood out to me was Burn Notice. I used to watch the first few seasons when I was younger together with my brother! I'm definitely interested in watching the rest now as I absolutely loved that show as a kid.

Like holy crap, Disney+ is genuinely a very appealing service to me now. I think if I ever get my interest back in HBO that I'll be primarily using those two services from here on out.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RogerRoger

Watched the first five episodes of Star Trek: Prodigy and found them to be delightful. A show for kids, but written with enough intelligence and potential to grow with its audience, and a cast of characters who are almost universally likeable, which is quite a feat. Looks utterly gorgeous, as well.

Also watched the first two episodes of Hawkeye and largely agree with @nessisonett (although I have very little knowledge of the source material, so my guesses as to where it's all leading aren't gonna be as educated). I do feel that the show has been slightly misrepresented by its marketing, as it feels more like The Kate Bishop Origin Show, Featuring Hawkeye, but I suppose it's nowhere near finished yet, so I shouldn't judge too early. Will tune in weekly, where possible.

Also also watched the first episode of Foundation on Apple TV. Proof that you can throw all the money you like at a project, but it can still turn out to be as boring as watching paint dry.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Started DopeSick and my god is it good! The missus and I weren’t even that keen on it going in as we have seen a lot of OxyContin season long-arcs recently in other shows (Bosch, Goliath etc.) and while we enjoyed those storylines, we just wondered what else could be added to the subject? Well… a lot as it turns out. It is as addictive a show as is its subject-matter and I’m left feeling a bit devastated that D+ doesn’t hold all of the episodes right now… phenomenal show!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

Midnight Mass - the best TV show I've seen this year. And that is even when my sister spoiled that it had vampires in it. Thanks sis!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I've subscribed to Disney+ for one month. I just wanted to watch the new Beatles documentary.

First impression is that the app is very good.

Second impression is that the service has a terrible offering for me. Predictable stuff, too Hollywood American, not very diverse. I'll finish Get Back, then watch The Mandalorian over Christmas and then probably never return to the service again.

Am I missing some very brilliant stuff that's on there and I just haven't found yet?

Get Back so far is amazing. It is a lot, and I might have preferred something shorter myself, but on the other hand they just happened to film so many good content. A lot of real moments you'd never see filmed ever, and not just of any band, but the greatest band no less.

You know how there are these biopics of artists like Queen and Elton John, where they try to show you a scene about how a song was made, how the singer got into an argument? Well, they're attempts at showing you what went down. But Get Back shows you those actual moments, unfiltered.

Just in the first two hours I've seen how the song Get Back was written, how tension is building up between the band's members, even the disbandment of the group is discussed.

I used to be watch fragments of these sessions on YouTube when I was young. But to now see it all in one big edit, with so much never seen before content. It's hard to overstate how special this is, and it gets you closer to a music artist then in my opinion any other pop documentary has done before.

Disclaimers of course, I'm only 2 hours in yet and The Beatles have been my most listened to artist of all time.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Glad you’re enjoying Get Back and it does sound interesting. I like the documentary style films that give rare footage of things have interest in. I’m not the biggest Beatles fan in the world but I might get in a mood to watch it one day.

As for Disney+, if you’re not a fan of the animated classics, Pixar films, Marvel, or Star Wars, then there not much else on offer. The extraneous content originals don’t interest me much either. Stuff like Bake-offs, The Jonas Brothers, and That’s So Raven just don’t do it for me.
However, you have a lifetime of The Simpsons, which never gets old. Same goes for Phineas and Ferb. For a music aficionado like you, some old classics are sprinkled throughout like The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins for when you’re in the mood for that. But for you… I’m guessing you might enjoy Hamilton (although very American, I admit), and a couple of the newer fantastic music themed Pixar movies like Coco and Soul — both very enjoyable and although they have the Disney sheen, feel less cookie-cutter than some of their output.

If none of that seems interesting, then at least you’ll get to experience The Mandalorian which is fantastic, and worth the month’s subscription fee by itself.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Kidfried @Th3solution See, this is where things get complicated. At least here in the UK, Star on Disney+ adds probably more content I’m interested in than the Disney stuff. Like they just added The Last Duel in 4K which I’ll definitely watch, same with Summer of Soul. A lot of good TV shows as well like The Americans, Fosse/Verdon, Atlanta and even stuff like The Golden Girls. I think a lot of the stuff is Hulu content that we get as part of Disney+ cause we don’t have Hulu over here.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Yeah, we don’t get those unless you buy the Hulu package (which I haven’t). That’s awesome that you get all that too. I want to watch The Handmaid’s Tale, but refuse to get Hulu just for that.

nessisonett

@Th3solution Hahaha, I have a whole rant about The Handmaid’s Tale but it’s too laden with spoilers 😂

Edited on by nessisonett

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic