Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 4,463

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett just watched Joss’ latest show The Nevers... interesting (particularly the last ep, in a Dollhouse kinda way). Not Buffy, Angel or Firefly though... nowhere near.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I watched the pilot. It’s a flaming pile of sh*t. And clearly manufactured to distract from the fact he’s an abuser. Everything about it just felt incredibly forced. And this is coming from the guy who made Buffy so he clearly knows how to write about kick-ass women. I mean, the Victorian London setting has been done so, so many times now but The Nevers is right up there with the worst pilots I’ve ever seen.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett yeah the pilot and the next couple of eps even, we’re awful... it did improve a bit for the last 3 but not enough to suggest people watch it.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@nessisonett @colonelkilgore Thanks for the precaution about The Nevers. I thought it looked decent in the promos. Looks like I need to steer clear of it.

@Arugula I need to try the Castlevania series then. I never got on with the games, but everyone keeps praising the show; good to see you don’t have to be a fan of the series to like the show

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Arugula @Th3solution I’m almost at the end of season 3 of Castlevania and although I’ve never even played a Castlevania game I’ve enjoyed it a lot. My missus has caught snippets here and there and although she normally has no interest in anime at all, she is actually quite interested, so we’re gonna start it over so she can get the full experience.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@Th3solution I just watched all 6 episodes of The Nevers. Have to admit I didn’t realize it was Whedon until like episode 4 (wasn’t paying attention to the credits).
I thought it was good. The 1st episode wasn’t the best of the bunch for sure but the story picks up later and has a pretty predictable twist followed by a pretty unexpected twist - only to end on a massive cliffhanger of course 😉

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan I didn’t hate it as much as @nessisonett... I mean I watched the whole thing through and episode 6 was actually quite good but overall it just didn’t click with me the way Whedon-stuff used to.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula @colonelkilgore @Th3solution Similar history as you with the games (only played a few hours of one in 360 and hated it), but really dig the series. Sometimes I haven't a clue what is going on (season 3 I did struggle to keep up) but I still finding it enjoyable nonetheless. The latest 4th season is the last apparently, so will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

Somehow I missed the fact that Netflix is airing a Resident Evil show this summer. Looks like it’s starting Claire and Leon and it’s produced in the same CG style as RE2 Remake. From the promo, it appears the show will essentially look like the CG cutscenes from the game. Seems very compelling to me, as a fan of the game.

It actually looks like Netflix has a few decent projects going finally. Most of their output hasn’t interested me the last couple years.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

InvaderJim

Tried the what to watch shuffle button in Netflix and got a German Sci Fi show called Dark, I wouldn't normally watch things that are dubbed but decided to give it a try and glad I did. For me this is one best shows on Netflix. While complex it is very well thought out and clear they carefully planned and mapped out the show from beginning to end. Set in a German village it starts following the disappearance of teenager it what seems a straightforward mystery but it turns out to be a very ambitious and complex time travel plot.

InvaderJim

colonelkilgore

Been looking for something ‘good’ for a bit and just stumbled upon Snowfall. Four seasons late to the party but that’s fine, I have a load to catch up on... halfway through season 1 and really enjoying it.

Also, Mare of Easttown was very good.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@InvaderJim I've heard Dark was great but I'm yet to watch it myself. Usually a show not being in English (or being dubbed) is a bit of a turn off for me too but if it's really good, it becomes a non-issue quickly.
I actually watched that team's newer show, "Tribes of Europa" and thought it was fine, a decent piece of post-apocalyptic sci-fi, but nothing spectacular.

Voltan

zupertramp

@InvaderJim I started this show but the dubbing didn't fit the characters imo and there were so many of them, often practically talking over each other, that reading the dialogue was kinda difficult. It was super interesting but ultimately too much work for me. Just left me wishing I spoke German so I could enjoy it as intended. Oh well.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Could you not watch with subtitles? Babylon Berlin, the Deutschland trilogy and Das Boot all work well with subtitles imo.

zupertramp

@nessisonett yeah that's what I meant by reading. Subtitles. Idk maybe wpm in German is just too high for this slow talking southerner but I just found it hard to follow. And it seemed like a show where you need to be paying attention.

Weird because I've watched a ton of subtitled films. I'm not a total dullard.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Ahh see, us lot speak English at a pretty breakneck speed so I’ve not really had the same issues when it comes to following dialogue in Japanese or German which are pretty fast languages. Although watching any Masaaki Yuasa movie or show is an ordeal. The dialogue is the fastest I’ve ever heard.

ralphdibny

I started watching scrubs again from the beginning on Disney+ last night. Such a funny and also sad show. Also good to see Crewman Daniels from Star Trek Enterprise in a few episodes!

See ya!

zupertramp

@ralphdibny Funny I actually started watching those from the beginning a month or so back. Didn't realize they were on Disney+. I have the DVDs but only up to season 7. Somehow never got 8, which I consider to be the last season.

Pretty much my favorite sitcom but man is some of the humor dated. My (now basically adult age) kids were watching it with me and I'm pretty sure they were like "wtf did they just say" most of the time. Lol.

Don't know who crewman Daniels is but I had forgotten how much of the Spin City cast shows up over the course of the series.

ralphdibny

@zupertramp haha well I don't think any of the humour is mean spirited, not so far anyway.

It might be one of those UK only Disney+ things. We don't get Hulu so a lot of the Hulu stuff is on Disney plus over here instead. Don't even know if scrubs would be a Hulu thing or not anyway

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic