Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,141 to 2,160 of 4,462

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m usually a patient man, and I rather wait and binge my media, but for some reason I can’t wait for each week’s episode of WV to drop. I got that way in the second season of Mando too, where it was just a weekend tradition to cozy up to the TV, soda and snack in hand, and watch the latest episode.
WV is much more fitting for weekly viewings, especially early on, but I’m sure watching the whole season in one big session will be even more impactful. It’s just I can’t seem to wait! 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam

@RogerRoger Yay! The X Files is one of my all-time favourite programmes. Me and my sister were/remain obsessed with it! Like Foxy says there are some naff episodes here and there, and I'm not a big fan of the comedy episodes. It gets really exciting from season two onwards, although there are a couple of rather scary episodes in season one. Mulder and Scully have such good chemistry. And the main villain is so sinister. Even though David Duchovny isn't the best actor, he fits the role so well.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger the FMV game is so good! It doesn't really feature much of Duchovny and Anderson but I completely fell in love with the new characters in it when I played it last year. I'm not sure the best way to play it really, it was quite glitchy on PS1, luckily the story and acting were good enough to weather both the glitches and the sometimes obtuse puzzles/hidden objects (use a guide for some of it I think, particularly one bit set in a warehouse!).

I've read that it's even glitchier to play it on a backwards compatible PS2 or ps3 so the PC version may be the way to go! God knows how you'd get it to run on a modern PC though

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

I can't decide whether David Duchovny is a terrible actor or a genius

... Can't he be both @RogerRoger?

Gillian is wonderful as the ever skeptical Dana Scully and they play off of one another quite well.

I take it the horror elements you were discussing in the original post might have been the episode "Squeeze" with Eugene Tooms? There shouldn't be anything you'll watch anytime soon that'll be too horror focused Rog... Though I'm sure any one of us will happy to point out some episodes you may want to skip over.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You pick your battles, I guess. Given that you're such a huge MCU fan, I'm not surprised that your patience caved for WandaVision, same as ours both did for The Mandalorian. Once it's managed to hook me (which it undoubtedly will) I'll be there weekly for its second season!

@mookysam @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the horror heads-up with regards The X-Files, folks, and yes, I did find that "Squeeze" episode... well, it wasn't horror in the sense of running, screaming and slashing. It was just disturbing. Proof that, if you're working within a TV budget, there's a fine art to telling your story instead of showing it. The goofy effects shot in the chimney made me laugh, but the rest of it had me cowering behind a cushion. Ick.

And yes, Foxy, I guess David Duchovny can be both! He's certainly proving it possible thusfar!

@ralphdibny I'm real grateful for the heads-up regarding the PSone game's problems on PS2 and PS3, because that's how I likely would've tried to play it. That being said, FMV games aren't really my preferred mug of hot liquid (particularly ones with semi-impossible puzzles) so I reckon I'll be okay just watching a playthrough of it on YouTube someday. Thanks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger fair enough! I haven't tried it on the PS2 and PS3, I've just read that it is glitchy.

I just wish someone would adapt it as like a browser game or interactive video or something so people can enjoy it now. The choices are the best part of it, your relationships with the characters can end up significantly different depending on how you treat them!

See ya!

mookysam

@RogerRoger Just to warn you Eugene Tooms is in another episode in season one, and I actually heaved at the end! There are certainly "disturbing" episodes rather than outright horror, but being a total wuss I did find it quite scary at times. It's funny rewatching it, because it's been cleaned up in HD beautifully (especially on Blu Ray) but obviously has a bit of that '90s naffness to it.

David Duchovny is a terrible actor, but he also fits Mulder perfectly. I find it hard to imagine the role being portrayed by a more talented actor. 😂 Gillian Anderson is fab though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny After the recent resurgence of Night Trap and other retro FMV games, I'm sure somebody somewhere is trying to get a proper remaster off the ground. Give it time!

@mookysam I shall tread with caution, thank you. First I've got to overcome an episode of Space Precinct which I know features a tarantula. Definitely won't be watching that one right before bed, I can tell you! Will save it for midday. And still turn on all the lights.

Duchovny's performance is kinda like Kyle MacLachlan's from Twin Peaks, only not deliberate.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Ted Lasso is frikkin great. I'd heard that it was but not being a fan of sit-coms, I wasn't overly keen on the idea but the missus just got a years free Apple TV so we thought it would tide us over until Saturday when we binge WandaVision.

Well, I love it... and WandaVision will have to go some to entertain me half as much as this. Ted himself is an absolute gift to the human race!

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I have liked Jason Sudeikis in most of the things I've seen him in, and haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about the show. Once I have a gap I'm the shows I'm watching, I might sign up for Apple TV, as there are a few shows and films which have piqued my interest on the service.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder not being a fan of comedy (I like funny stuff... but the stuff I generally find funny isn't comedy I guess) so I don't think I've seen him in anything before. As far as this goes though, I think he's great. Hopefully, I havent over-sold it too much for you.

On the apple tv subject, season 1 of Servant blew the missus and I away... we really can't wait for season 2 to finish so we can binge it all in one weekend. We also thoroughly enjoyed Defending Jacob, there is the occasional leap of logic (which usually really grates on me) but it's just so well made and we'll acted that it was an enjoyable show.

Also, being a huge fan of the almighty edge Lord himself Ronald D. Moore (this one's for you @RogerRoger 😉) I'm excited to watch For All Mankind... that looks right up my street.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

zupertramp

@colonelkilgore finally someone else watching Servant. We binged season 1 and then just went straight into 2. I still have no idea where this is all going. Show's amusing though, in a dark way obviously.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

colonelkilgore

@zupertramp it’s so good isn’t it. I’m actually considering rewatching season 1 again (we watched it originally Jan 2020) just so I’m clear on exactly where we are at the start of season 2. It’s so dark, twisted and disturbing... 3 things which always tickle my pickle but also so well written and well acted. It’s a true hidden (from the masses) gem.

**** DLC!

zupertramp

@colonelkilgore yeah that's a fairly big gap. I don't think it's too terribly necessary though. Especially since they have those recaps, like most shows, at the beginning of the episodes. Don't let me stop you though either.

As far as the acting, it's funny, Can't Hardly Wait is one of my all time favorite "teen" movies and it still took me several episodes of Servant to recognize one of the actors. Some of it is she's just older but also she plays her part so well. Like a different person entirely.

Also is it just me or am I the only one convinced that Toby Kebbell is a long list Jonas Brother?

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore Thanks for the namecheck up there. Here's some obligatory condemnation.

Untitled

In all seriousness, however, I hope you enjoy his new show!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I’m going to reserve my WandaVision finale thoughts until other people finish it/binge the whole thing. Interesting how many fan theories were wrong though 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett Re: WandaVision ep 9 - brilliant ending! Bittersweet in all the right ways with hope for a family reunion down the way. Sounds like Talos is going to make a reappearance down the road too, he was one of my favourite characters from Captain Marvel! Also Ralph Bohner - "hehe, Bohner" 😂. Hopefully he makes a reappearance some day too!

It's weird, I didn't really enjoy the Agatha Harkness late game reveal. It reminded me too much of John Harrison - Khan Noonien Singh reveal in Star Trek into Darkness. I think it's a bit dumb to keep something a secret in the narrative when the implications up to that point are so blaringly obvious. May have been handled better if her character lost the annoying interfering smugness of her Agnes iteration up to that point but she didn't. She's probably up there with Ultron as my least favourite MCU villains, there's probably a handful of villains of the week from Agents of Shield in there too but I'd struggle to remember any.

On the other hand, I very much enjoyed the Ralph Bohner reveal. It's probably up there with the Mandarin/Trevor Slattery reveal from Iron Man 3. I know I'm weird because I love Iron Man 3 but it is awesome. Maybe these kinds of reveal work better for me when the expectation is subverted in the case of Ralph and Trevor as opposed to confirmed in the case of Agatha/Khan.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Lmao, having some issues with the spoiler tags which is irritating me as it usually works.

@ralphdibny I honestly didn’t like the ending. At all. See, I hated the Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3 and it was mostly due to that terrible fake-out (and other glaring problems) that make it my least favourite MCU movie. The Pietro reveal reminded me of that in a bad way, with the bonus issue of not being contained within the narrative. If somebody wasn’t aware of Evan Peters previously playing Quicksilver then the entire crux of the character in this portrayal makes zero sense. He appears, doesn’t act like MCU Pietro at all and then is revealed to be a random person controlled by Agatha. Why would Wanda believe him without the knowledge that the audience has about the X-verse? Why does the random person chosen by Agatha act like X-verse Pietro despite that universe not existing within the MCU and him not being Pietro at all? He’s not even similar enough to MCU Pietro for it to be written off as Agatha not entirely being aware of that version’s personality.

Plus, the twins were an exciting prospect going forward given that Cassie Lang, Kate Bishop and Kamala Khan exist within the MCU. And Hulkling could realistically be introduced in Secret Invasion. It’s such a missed opportunity to just reset everything to pre-WandaVision. Especially considering Monica has powers due to the Hex’s influence yet they haven’t been taken away when she left the Hex. There was too much built up to be all crammed into that last episode, they could have easily done another two and given the characters more time. I just feel they’ve kinda squandered what was a very good set-up by rushing towards the end. Agatha honestly didn’t even do anything as the ‘big bad’. She was a threat for about 5 seconds until the extremely signposted runes appeared, which was even teased in the ‘previously on WandaVision’ bit at the start. There was no grand plan, no real reason for her manipulation, no exposition about the wider witch community. She just wanted Wanda’s power for herself which is a bit clichéd and could have surely been achieved without the entire situation getting out of hand. Too many questions and plot holes, not enough actual answers. Considering there will be no second season and these characters won’t be seen again for years, it’s a bit annoying.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett interesting to read your thoughts on it! I do wonder if like Trevor Slattery, there will be some follow up to Peter/Ralph. Slattery obviously had the short film Hail to the King (I think it was called) and I believe the "true" Mandarin will be featured in the Shang-Chi movie, maybe Slattery will make an appearance there as well. There does seem to be some opportunity for follow up on the Peter/Ralph mystery with the upcoming Dr. Strange and Spider-Man films even if it is just an indirect explanation rather than a follow up on the character himself.

Assuming you are up to date (as far as Crisis on Infinite Earths at least) with the Arrowverse, I wonder if any multiverse hijinks (assuming the promotional mentions of the multiverse haven't been similar red herrings) will be handled similarly in the MCU as they were in the Arrowverse. They have multiple actors playing the same character across universes as well as one character being played by multiple actors. This is a long with a healthy dose of cross universe character-swap shenanigans like The Atom's cousin "looking a lot" like Supergirl which may make sense as Brandon Routh played both the Atom and Returns-Earth's Superman. This will probably get a bit confusing with the MCU as they like to keep things simple for the casual audience so we may not see anything like this at all. Having said that, if a viewer has stuck with it for twentysomething movies then maybe they are ready for it. It does seem like the gates are open now that the so called "Infinity Saga" is over so maybe the multiverse concept is the only way to top that.

Back to WandaVision, I do agree to some extent about the narrative reset, I wonder if this will be a trend going forward with these limited series. Like with the pre-Disney+ TV shows, they never liked to do anything that would have to be referenced in the films with more than a passing comment or quick cameo. I wonder if it will be the same with the Disney+ shows. Having said that, this show couldn't have had a happy ending without there being a disastrous follow up. Wanda did too much bad stuff to have her cake and eat it. Maybe the resets won't happen in every show but perhaps the stakes will never be high enough for a casual movie goer to get confused when they walk into a cinema one day having never subscribed to Disney+.

I really don't think this will be the last we see of Tommy and Billy. There is at least a Vision out there, even if he is suffering an identity crisis. A quick bit of scarlet witch chaos magic will restore all of that, I am sure! It may be a year or years away before we get any follow up but the MCU does have a habit of following up in surprising ways - Incredible Hulk's Thunderbolt Ross is evidence of this. Honestly though, you've probably got many years of life ahead of you, I think what you want to see in these films and shows will definitely make it onto the screen some day! In the first wave of Marvel films, I remember being frustrated by certain story choices - the Galactus cloud, Weapon XI/Barakapool, Gwen Stacey being the follow up girlfriend to Mary Jane etc. But having seen 3 Spider-Man reboots, a soft reboot of the X-Men Universe and the MCU turn up since, I almost feel silly for being frustrated at the time but who could have known that superhero films and TV shows would take off the way they did and here we are 10-15 years later with new adaptations that diverge in some ways and are more faithful in others! At the time, I guess I thought these would be the "definitive" and only adaptations so I wanted them to be perfect but time has proved me wrong in that regard. In retrospect, I have massively enjoyed the last 20 years of super hero films and TV, faults and all!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

zupertramp

@nessisonett @ralphdibny after last week's wandavision, which I really enjoyed, I had higher hopes going into the finale than I'd had for much of the series prior. But honestly I agree with much of what @nessisonett said.

I'd also add there was an awful lot of other characters just standing around while others fight which is always awkward to me plus the passage of time just seemed off what with darcy still apparently driving around in an ice cream truck hours or days later or the bit where Wanda puts the kids to bed just to walk back out and it's still day and soldiers are still there. Also I could have sworn they drove like 10 military vehicles into the hex only for there to be a small handful of soldiers to contend with. Guess they don't carpool. And the big bad bureaucrat legitimately attempting to gun down two children? Lol okay. Also really, really dislike Monica's whole evolution in this but eh, what's another superhero with undefined powers that can be tailored to the writers' needs.

Just overall kind of a dud for me. There are end scenes though, in case anyone missed those.

Edited on by zupertramp

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic