Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,299

colonelkilgore

@ralphdibny yeah I know one or two actually... it does seem to be the least favourite of the ‘general’ audience though. Most people I know preferred Voyager, I’ve disowned a lot of friends for that reason 😜.

This DS9 chat has kinda made me wanna watch it through again... there is no way I could find the time though as the missus would not wanna watch it and when I ain’t watching stuff with her I’m gaming .

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

ralphdibny

@colonelkilgore haha. Voyager is my least favourite as a whole but generally I do love the later seasons after Seven of Nine joined the show.

I started rewatching the whole series in chronological order with my partner last year. We got through Enterprise, the first 2 seasons of Discovery and half way through TOS before she had to go back to work (we live in different towns). Luckily, watching Enterprise first sold her on the overall marathon - as it did me when it first came out. Enterprise was my intro to the universe and it is a good one.

ralphdibny

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny That's a fair point, that early Deep Space Nine might've appealed more to me out of a sense of traditionalism. Although I'm only human, so the massive space battles between gorgeous starships in later seasons definitely push my buttons, too! They still look spectacular, even today!

And thanks but... uh-oh, somebody mentioned Voyager. I'm gonna shut up now!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha well don't shut up on my account! You know I'm always up for a bit of Trek chat even if it is a Janeway Vs Sisko discussion (as opposed to a Kirk Vs Picard 😅)

ralphdibny

Arugula

Caught some of Clarice while my wife was watching it and I found myself paying more attention to it than the usual nonsense that's on the box. Actually looks pretty decent.

Arugula

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I think my views on Janeway are well-documented in the dedicated topic, but thanks for the offer all the same! Especially since I'm not a big fan of the whole "Character Vs. Character" debates when I love both involved, just for different reasons. Sisko and Janeway both have questionable episodes, but they're also unquestionable badasses, and both have my respect as a result...

[whispers] ...it's just that Janeway has more of it.

Speaking of old science fiction shows from the 1990s, my partner and I watched the first couple episodes of The X-Files yesterday and today. It's had some fantastic HD conversion work done, and retains a structure and pacing we both found very engaging. We had nothing more than a vague, pop-culture passing awareness of it in its heyday, but we also share an interest in its overall atmosphere emulating its primary influences, specifically Twin Peaks. Some of it crossed genre lines and landed squarely in horror, which I could just about handle, but I can see any more pushing of that particular envelope becoming a problem for me down the line (as I believe has been discussed around these parts before). Otherwise? Strong stuff, and we're both keen to continue.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha yeah me too, the Vs. discussions are always a bit dumb. I think like you, it's hard to pick a winner out of a team of winners!

Glad you got started on the X files! I hope you manage to stick with it, there are a lot of lulls and it's easy to get burned out but it can be a rewarding experience if you manage to get through it (and the spin offs/games - shame these aren't on Disney+). If you do decide to go all in and track down the spin offs then I might be able to help you with a list of episodes that they fit between/before/after! I could do it anyway, just for fun....

ralphdibny

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Hooray at you finally watching The X-Files @RogerRoger!

Glad to hear you enjoyed watching the first few episodes too! Yeah like @ralphdibny says there can be a few lulls/bad episodes here and there but it's pretty strong most of the time! It'll be interesting to see how far you end up going with it and your thoughts on various episodes/storylines... Be sure to fill us in on how you two do with it!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

Th3solution

Obligatory post of praise for WandaVision. Although I had basically put everything together on my own, this week’s episode was a nice exposition to wrap up what the heck has been going on the whole time. Fantastic production quality and they really have set a high bar on these Disney+ shows.

And, as could be predicted, after watching this week’s episode I got a notification that the monthly charge for the D+ service is going up next month. 😅 Glad that I just paid for a whole year!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the X-Files enthusiasm! I'm really keen to see more, especially after I enjoyed the opening so much. Gillian Anderson is consistently wonderful, but I can't decide whether David Duchovny is a terrible actor or a genius; he seems to swing wildly between the two extremes, from scene to scene... heck, sometimes from line to line. But their chemistry is undeniable, and really helps sell the concept, so whatever he's doing seems to be working.

It'll be a slow watch, a small handful of episodes every couple weeks, given that I'm only watching it whenever I visit my partner. He's also somebody who can easily just drop a show but, since we have our own separate Disney+ accounts, I'll probably continue on my own should that happen.

Although, as that well-timed post from @Th3solution just reminded me, there are plenty of other shows I'm supposed to be watching on Disney+ and elsewhere, WandaVision being one of them. I don't tend to encounter many Marvel spoilers, so I think I'll be okay waiting to binge completed seasons of the MCU shows (unlike Star Wars, which I'll try and make the effort to watch weekly) and do so with strong endorsements ringing in my ears. Can't wait to check it out! Need to finish Space Precinct first, and I want to watch The Americans before it disappears from Amazon Prime.

Oh, and specific thanks to Ralph for the offer of an X-Files episode guide. I had no idea it was a full-on franchise! I did look up some information about the PSone FMV game, the research of which revealed the existence of the spin-off shows. I reckon we'll stick to the core show and its movies for now, but will definitely give you a tag if we decide to venture any further!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m usually a patient man, and I rather wait and binge my media, but for some reason I can’t wait for each week’s episode of WV to drop. I got that way in the second season of Mando too, where it was just a weekend tradition to cozy up to the TV, soda and snack in hand, and watch the latest episode.
WV is much more fitting for weekly viewings, especially early on, but I’m sure watching the whole season in one big session will be even more impactful. It’s just I can’t seem to wait! 😄

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

mookysam

@RogerRoger Yay! The X Files is one of my all-time favourite programmes. Me and my sister were/remain obsessed with it! Like Foxy says there are some naff episodes here and there, and I'm not a big fan of the comedy episodes. It gets really exciting from season two onwards, although there are a couple of rather scary episodes in season one. Mulder and Scully have such good chemistry. And the main villain is so sinister. Even though David Duchovny isn't the best actor, he fits the role so well.

#BlackLivesMatter

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger the FMV game is so good! It doesn't really feature much of Duchovny and Anderson but I completely fell in love with the new characters in it when I played it last year. I'm not sure the best way to play it really, it was quite glitchy on PS1, luckily the story and acting were good enough to weather both the glitches and the sometimes obtuse puzzles/hidden objects (use a guide for some of it I think, particularly one bit set in a warehouse!).

I've read that it's even glitchier to play it on a backwards compatible PS2 or ps3 so the PC version may be the way to go! God knows how you'd get it to run on a modern PC though

ralphdibny

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

RogerRoger wrote:

I can't decide whether David Duchovny is a terrible actor or a genius

... Can't he be both @RogerRoger?

Gillian is wonderful as the ever skeptical Dana Scully and they play off of one another quite well.

I take it the horror elements you were discussing in the original post might have been the episode "Squeeze" with Eugene Tooms? There shouldn't be anything you'll watch anytime soon that'll be too horror focused Rog... Though I'm sure any one of us will happy to point out some episodes you may want to skip over.

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You pick your battles, I guess. Given that you're such a huge MCU fan, I'm not surprised that your patience caved for WandaVision, same as ours both did for The Mandalorian. Once it's managed to hook me (which it undoubtedly will) I'll be there weekly for its second season!

@mookysam @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the horror heads-up with regards The X-Files, folks, and yes, I did find that "Squeeze" episode... well, it wasn't horror in the sense of running, screaming and slashing. It was just disturbing. Proof that, if you're working within a TV budget, there's a fine art to telling your story instead of showing it. The goofy effects shot in the chimney made me laugh, but the rest of it had me cowering behind a cushion. Ick.

And yes, Foxy, I guess David Duchovny can be both! He's certainly proving it possible thusfar!

@ralphdibny I'm real grateful for the heads-up regarding the PSone game's problems on PS2 and PS3, because that's how I likely would've tried to play it. That being said, FMV games aren't really my preferred mug of hot liquid (particularly ones with semi-impossible puzzles) so I reckon I'll be okay just watching a playthrough of it on YouTube someday. Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger fair enough! I haven't tried it on the PS2 and PS3, I've just read that it is glitchy.

I just wish someone would adapt it as like a browser game or interactive video or something so people can enjoy it now. The choices are the best part of it, your relationships with the characters can end up significantly different depending on how you treat them!

ralphdibny

mookysam

@RogerRoger Just to warn you Eugene Tooms is in another episode in season one, and I actually heaved at the end! There are certainly "disturbing" episodes rather than outright horror, but being a total wuss I did find it quite scary at times. It's funny rewatching it, because it's been cleaned up in HD beautifully (especially on Blu Ray) but obviously has a bit of that '90s naffness to it.

David Duchovny is a terrible actor, but he also fits Mulder perfectly. I find it hard to imagine the role being portrayed by a more talented actor. 😂 Gillian Anderson is fab though.

#BlackLivesMatter

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny After the recent resurgence of Night Trap and other retro FMV games, I'm sure somebody somewhere is trying to get a proper remaster off the ground. Give it time!

@mookysam I shall tread with caution, thank you. First I've got to overcome an episode of Space Precinct which I know features a tarantula. Definitely won't be watching that one right before bed, I can tell you! Will save it for midday. And still turn on all the lights.

Duchovny's performance is kinda like Kyle MacLachlan's from Twin Peaks, only not deliberate.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Ted Lasso is frikkin great. I'd heard that it was but not being a fan of sit-coms, I wasn't overly keen on the idea but the missus just got a years free Apple TV so we thought it would tide us over until Saturday when we binge WandaVision.

Well, I love it... and WandaVision will have to go some to entertain me half as much as this. Ted himself is an absolute gift to the human race!

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I have liked Jason Sudeikis in most of the things I've seen him in, and haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about the show. Once I have a gap I'm the shows I'm watching, I might sign up for Apple TV, as there are a few shows and films which have piqued my interest on the service.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic