Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 4,437

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I'm surprised you have only just felt the show is like watching the original films, as that is what drew me into the first series.

@RogerRoger I have no idea! Most of of what you guys have said has gone straight over my head though. I've not watched my usual recap on YouTube which usually spells things out for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder No worries! They could be taking it in any number of directions, and I've got three solid possibilities in my head, so I'm just happy to wait and see!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ah, I must have missed that statement while I was watching it. Can’t believe I didn’t catch on there! 😄

As for theories, my first inclination was super-soldier type troopers that are being created. But I don’t know. Maybe some kind of enhanced Sith clone? What do you think? Not having watched all the animated shows that they appear to be drawing from, perhaps there’s more tie-in’s to those that I don’t know about.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, the show’s vibe has always been like the original trilogy, but it just never quite reached a cinematic feel as far as having a larger plot. The way Mando in the Razor Crest swoops in the save the party who are about to succumb to the tailing tie-fighters just felt so much like what was done with Han saving Luke in A New Hope. Then when the blue creature guy is going out on the platform over the lava I just saw Obi-Wan at the Death Star in my head. 😄 I don’t know.. For whatever reason it seemed to click with me this week.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Me? I've got no idea... well, I've got three ideas, but none of them are a lock. In all honesty, as a fan of the wider franchise, I quite like not knowing (because yeah, I became a bit of a gibbering fanboy last week; don't worry, I won't be that guy after every episode).

Like you, I reckon they could be some form of Force-sensitive Clone Trooper, bred by Gideon and the Imperial remnants in an effort to retake the galaxy. My other two theories are tied to the sequel trilogy, which Mando is leading towards; either these are early attempts at creating Snoke, or they're some of the clone bodies used by Palpatine to cheat death. There's nothing immediately clear from the animated shows which gives anything away, not off the top of my head, anyway. There was a key bit of music played during their reveal which might reinforce that third and final name-drop, but it's no guarantee; they just might've picked "ominous" from the sample archives!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Those are some interesting theories! I quite like them.

RogerRoger

[watches this week's episode of The Mandalorian]

[watches this week's episode of The Mandalorian again]

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

I've just renewed my Disney + so I'll be looking to catch up with Mando over the next few days.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

So that’s Hailee Steinfeld definitely playing Kate Bishop on Disney+ then. They also have Lucky the dog so it’s looking very similar to Fraction and Aja’s award winning run on the comics!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I think hailee steinfeld would be a good Kate bishop, she was good enough in bumblebee I thought!

I missed your thoughts on arrowverse a week or so ago, should've tagged me! Have you progressed much since then? I think you hit the nail on the head with the doom and gloom in the flash and Malfoy was a real treat. I'm guessing you've seen his adorable Christmas episode where he wears a bowtie if youve already moved onto the Dibmeister seasons. Dibny was lame at first, especially as a follow up to Tom Felton but he really grew on me just because he is such a goof!

@JohnnyShoulder also just saw your post about a new Toby Kebbel series, he's an awesome actor but he doesn't seem to get hugely lucky with his roles. My favourite film of his is Dead Man's shoes which also has the equally awesome Paddy Considine. I like a lot of Shyamalan films but I haven't seen the last airbender and I didnt rate after earth

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah, I’m past the brilliant Crisis on Earth X, approaching the back end of this year of Arrowverse. Also started Black Lightning which has been really great so far, love his outfit and the more adult approach towards superheroics.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett black lightning is brilliant in its opening season. I used to have conversations with a colleague who just thought it was cheesy trash but fun to watch whereas I took it really seriously and really got into all the characters storylines 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Honestly, it’s the least cheesy by a long run. It deals with some heavy issues which resonate so much more after this summer. Legends is definitely the goofiest but I do love it!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Yeah Dead Man's Shoes is pretty great. I really liked Split but was a bit disappointed my Glass.

There is an interview with Tony in this month's issue of Empire about the TV show. I didn't realise Rupert Grint from the Harry Potter films was in it also.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@nessisonett of course it is, I completely agree! I think we have the perspective of watching every other (mega cheesy) show in the Arrowverse though. Whereas he just watched black lightning on Netflix by itself.

I think BL does become a bit more cheese in later seasons though, the message gets diluted somewhat by the need to continue making episodes

See ya!

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder oh nice, Grint has done some low key stuff since Harry potter and his work always looks quite good but I never get around to watching any of it. He definitely seems the most down to earth out of him, Watson and Radders

See ya!

RogerRoger

Blimey, this week's episode of The Mandalorian was a rush! Most certainly the live-action equivalent of taking all your childhood toys and mashing them together whilst making "Pew pew!" noises for thirty minutes. Arguably, that's Star Wars at its best. I personally preferred last week's episode, but the overall direction and quality of this season has been remarkable.

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

I only just recently caught up on The Mandalorion (excluding today's episode) and I was thinking, I wonder if Jon Favreau will be getting as much flack for his mystery box approach to Star Wars as JJ Abrams. It's true Favreau isn't known for his over-reliance on mystery-oriented storytelling (though it's my view they're always toying with it in the MCU) but I did get the sense, as a Star Wars outsider, that Abrams' decision to take this approach within the SW universe was something like sacrilege.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp A valid question, the answer for which we'll have to wait and see. There's no problem with setting up a mystery box, so long as there's eventually something good inside; no disrespect to Abrams, but his tend to be empty, which annoys those who invest in them.

I think that there's a lot more faith in Favreau and Filoni, which helps. That was demonstrated in last week's chapter (which, among other things, continued a thread left hanging in 2018).

If they leave something hanging, it's usually for a good reason. Fans are learning patience.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic