Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 4,440

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Yeah man, next week will be episode 4 of 8.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

There was a lot packed into the latest, shorter episode of Mando. As much as I enjoyed the last two Monster Hunt style episodes, it was good to get the story back on track.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

Regarding Mando, does every article I see have to display the newest person to show up in the thumbnail and have their name in the headline? I mean, I'm not even that big a fan but geez, can I watch it first?!

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I watched it last night and thought it was nice to see the story progress, even if it seems a little bit fan-fictiony. The other Mandalorian crew were really cool and if there’s one thing this show has done right it’s the costuming and art design. All the different Mandalorian helmets and unique get-ups are going to make for great looking toys in the eventual Hasbro action figure line up 😅. The story is a little bit of a wild goose chase - find this person or group so that they can tell you where to go next...Hopefully we get a little more depth to the narrative soon. I have a feeling that the entirety of Season 2 will end up being the quest to find the Jedi and then we’ll finally get there it will end. But I’m enjoying it nonetheless.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@zupertramp That's the problem I've found with new episodes of streaming shows being released by algorithm at midnight; the hardcore fans and the journalists will stay up late, watch it and rush to be "first" with their opinion pieces and spoiler posts. It's one thing when you have to drive out to a cinema and queue at a certain time, but putting it in everybody's homes has made it much more of an instant thing.

Looking at the writers and directors for the upcoming episodes, I'd advise you avoid searching Star Wars news for the next fortnight. Chapters 4 and 5 could be big deals.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp I had to tell Google I'm not interested in certain shows and films to stop spoilery articles showing up in my news feed and YouTube.

zupertramp

@RogerRoger The funny thing is I feel like I don't even seek it out. But I use aggregate news apps like Google and I always end up seeing something. And true, like @JohnnyShoulder says I could set things to make it seem like I'm not interested but that requires signing in and having them track my interests which I just won't do. That's a little on me I know but I still submit, your headline doesn't have to have a spoiler.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Th3solution

@zupertramp Yeah, I have a love-hate relationship with Google. Like you, I’m suspicious of the tracking they do. But when I’ve tried to use other search engines and other services they just don’t quite give me as good of an experience. But DuckDuckGo and Qwant are apparently some good options as far as being less nefarious in their data mining.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Th3solution DuckDuckGo is good. They even have a browser app for Android that I use instead of Firefox. But the app is far from great and is probably too simple for most people. The search engine though, I have learned to prefer for most things but every now and then I have to resort to Google for certain searches.

What's really my Jack Twist though is Google News. Nothing else is as good. Not even close. I just can't quit it. And I've tried.

nessisonett

@Th3solution My only problem with DuckDuckGo is that the sort of people who insist on using it in Uni are the same sort of people who openly talk about ‘the Zionist agenda’ and ‘feminazis’. So I wouldn’t use it more out of an unfair death by association because they really haven’t done much wrong and I do support things like net neutrality. The way I see it, someone’s getting my data some way or another, I have plenty apps and loads of electronic appliances. Just makes me think of that kid from the Polar Express.

S-so uh, you use DuckDuckGo? Unlike Google it doesn’t silence conservative voices

Untitled

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett I wasn't aware it had that reputation. Unfortunate.

On to the TV talk...
Been on the fence about whether to invest the time in Small Axe but I guess I should just do it.

As for what I am watching, Two episodes into Good Lord Bird and I was convinced it was gonna be the most brilliant thing I've seen on television all year... then I watched the third episode. Not sure how I feel about that depiction. I'm conflicted. But we'll see where it goes. It's still probably worth it for Ethan Hawke's John Brown, who I'd never have pegged as someone who could play John Brown but hey.

nessisonett

@zupertramp You should totally watch Small Axe, Mangrove was absolutely brilliant. I do wonder how it would translate to an American audience as it’s very much rooted in the whole Enoch Powell and Windrush stuff. Obviously race is a universal subject but in terms of media coverage, it does tend to be usually American in nature.

JohnnyShoulder

Toby Kebbel is in the new M Night Shyamalan series on Apple TV+ 'Servant'. Fingers crossed the stars are aligned on this one.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Of course he’s doing a Shyamalan. Let’s be honest, other than The Sixth Sense, he’s the Toby Kebbell of directors.

Th3solution

Wow, Mandalorian episode 4 was fabulous, I thought. Best one so far this season, imo.

nessisonett

That’s me finished yet another season in the Arrowverse, seasons 5, 4, 2 and 2 of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow respectively. It was an interesting one, Legends has definitely continued to bring it, with some great episodes and a sort of ‘second chance’ for old villains that worked really well. Supergirl was a whole lot better with the move to Canadian production, with it feeling more cohesive despite the unfortunate loss of 3 cast members. Mon-El was a great addition to the cast especially. The Flash kinda went for the doom and gloom angle that Arrow’s known for and it didn’t quite stick the landing but the cast are a joy to watch and always have been, especially Tom Felton/Malfoy who was a fantastic guest star over the course of the season. Arrow struggled at the beginning as there’s a whole new team around him so they had to work in a new dynamic but it really outdid itself with possibly the best season finale since Season 2. The baddie was really great to watch as well. My overall impressions of the next seasons of each show are pretty mixed but I’m only a couple of episodes in so it will probably change. All I’ll say is that I hope Elongated Man changes for the better because he’s an absolute d**k-wad so far and I’m not a huge fan of his weird Jim Carrey impression style of acting 😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution It was good, wasn't it? Another shorter action packed ep. Did you see who directed it? Not bad for a newbie!

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I didn’t notice the credits. But yeah, this is probably the first time it felt like I was watching one of the actual original movies again. The action scenes were spectacular, yet they didn’t feel hollow like some of the episodes have been, as far as pushing the narrative. We finally get a few answers to what the big deal is about The Child. Although it teases the use of his blood for experimentation, we have yet to see exactly how that will play out. (The fact they mention using his blood makes me wonder if we may see ‘midachlorians’ mentioned again or if they’ll steer clear of that controversial piece of lore) The character chemistry is the other part that really seemed better this episode and I finally got the ‘buddy’ vibe like Han, Luke and Leia a little bit with how the protagonist group interacted, yet it didn’t feel too forced, as it can often do when you have these team-up situations. Anyway, overall just great, imo.

Was the director someone I should know?

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Glad you enjoyed this week's Mando. When that scientist guy was recording his hologram report about the Child's blood, he mentioned its "M-Count" which is as direct as I think they're gonna be regarding midichlorians; if that's how they wanna deal with it, without actually saying the meme-triggering word itself, then that's fair enough.

@JohnnyShoulder He did very well as director, yes. I always like it when cast members are given a chance to direct their own shows, as they tend to care a little more about the finished product. They have a little more invested in it, after all.

What are your theories on the test subjects in the tanks, guys? Any gut reactions?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic