Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 1,795

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I agree that it's not a show to watch alone. My partner got me into the first two seasons (he'd seen them before) and then we watched the third one together as it was broadcast, and having somebody to discuss it with helped immeasurably. I'm a much more immediate viewer; I react in the moment, almost scene by scene, and only take a wider view later. This meant that, for example, my "Are they havin' a laugh?!" response to watching some guy silently sweep a floor for two minutes was kept in check by my partner's more accepting, open-minded approach.

And I also totally get your uncertainly regarding whether you "love" the show or are simply comfortable in its presence. At first, I didn't think I'd like it at all, but we'd watch a couple episodes after work and invariably order some nice takeout to eat whilst doing so, and that probably boosted the show's ability to ingratiate itself with me. I quite liked the slapstick and humour because it was so unexpected, and (in my opinion, of course) so perfectly executed.

I mean, how the heck did that llama develop such perfect coming timing with Coop?

Untitled

No apology necessary for getting personal, either. The sound design in general is something which really drew me in (a lifetime of being a sci-fi fan means I'll always notice a background hum, or rather the absence of one) but my sensitivity to such things can be varied by my mood, for sure. I think it's a great example for conveying your feelings about the show, which I totally get.

And yet, because it's Peaks, I think I'd totally understand if anybody fell firmly on either side of the fence between love and hate. It's a frighteningly personal show for something so outwardly surreal.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Haha, that lama scene is a perfect example of some seemingly spontaneousness and carelessness that the series had over it at its start. The series lost some of that frivolousness in its later episodes, which is I think why many people prefer the first season and the first half of the second season.

A lot of series tend to have that over the course of their run, though. Just compare Mad Men season 1 with season 6.

Also, about being more of a "moment-by-moment" viewer, I find that Twin Peaks often rewards those viewers as well, though. I love how scenes not always have a larger meaning in the great overall story. Like the scene when Andy and Lucy show off their kid, and he's like "the road is my dharma". Brilliant scene.

Kidfried

@RogerRoger And about getting "too personal". I try to keep it a bit balanced. On the one hand I know a lot of you here on the forum for quite some time now (you've been around for almost 3 years!). On the other hand this is still a public forum, and maybe some lurkers are rolling their eyes right now, who are not at all interested in my life story.

Kidfried

@Th3solution The first season is only eight episodes long. And after three episodes you should pretty much know what to expect from the rest of the series in terms of tone. It's dumb, smart, soap opera, detective, all in some kind of weird mix.

(Also, it's set in the state of Washington, which is a big plus for me.)

I recommend it to anyone with an open mind!

mookysam

@Kidfried Forgot to say that the first time I saw the first two series of Twin Peaks was around 2011 during a rather long period of terrible insomnia. I’d watch it in the middle of the night with the lights off and I swear that BOB appearing to Sarah Palmer was one of the most terrifying, unsettling things I’d ever seen on television before or since. I guess it’s quite tame really, but in the context of how I viewed it it really creeped me out and the memory has stayed with me.

#BlackLivesMatter

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I get the personal thing. Might not work for all, but my approach is to post what I'm comfortable with and let the reader sort it out. Besides, I care more about the regulars (a.k.a. my friends, yourself included) than any potential lurker!

Yeah, I definitely felt like the second season was narratively dragging its heels towards the end, but I chalked that up to the network demanding more from a surprise hit (and it's why I think I've grown to love the third season even more, because it's very deliberately sticking two fingers up to network expectations and interference, as well as convention). That isn't to criticise the second season; I respect the fact that it shifted tonal gears and still managed to maintain a baseline quality. As you say, many other shows have done far worse over their lifetimes!

Oh, that was Michael Cera's random cameo, wasn't it? I loved that scene!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I still haven’t seen Twin Peaks’ third season despite being hyped about it for years. I just never got round to it and I might binge the first two seasons again before attempting it.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Th3solution

Anyone watch the first episode of The Mandalorian Season 2?
I just got through watching it and quite enjoyed it. I hate having to wait a whole week for the next episode. Especially when the episode ends with the final shot of Temuera Morrison / Jango/Boba Fett or a clone... That’s crazy. I was thinking the armor that the Marshall had was Boba’s but was it extracted from the dead Sarlac? Can’t wait to see where this goes!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah really good episode. Bonus points for having Timothy Olyphant starring in it. I don't mind waiting a week for the next episode as I don't tend to binge watch stuff anyway. It didn't end on a cliffhanger when you are waiting too see the conclusion of the current episode, so don't really see the issue.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I had never seen him before, but he was great. A quick search shows me he’s in Justified and Deadwood so that fits. Looks like he also has done a couple video game characters, one in COD MW3.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution I went on a Timothy Olyphant binge after watching him in Justified which is probably the best show of the 2010s. Deadwood is also brilliant.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

mookysam

Deadwood's amazing. I still need to watch the film but will probably go through the series again first.

#BlackLivesMatter

nessisonett

@mookysam The film was really brilliant. I honestly think it would have been better if I had waited 10 years to watch it though, one of the major themes is the passage of time and it leans heavily towards viewers who watched it when it was first on. I’d recommend watching it blind, rather than straight after a binge of the TV show.

TheFrenchiestFry

So Mandalorian Episode 1 was a thing

They literally faked people out just to unfake it at the very end lol

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

@nessisonett You should try Santa Clarita Diet. Yes it's kinda dumb and it only lasted three seasons but you can't not like Olyphant in it. Actually I take it back, it's not dumb, it's hilarious and I should just own my opinion.

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I didn't get who that was but then, I'm not really a SW fan. I just watch for baby yoda and the occasional guest star. And if Rosario does indeed show up I'm definitely there for that too.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder I just saw the new Mando episode. I usually wait to binge a complete season, but I couldn't resist. I thought it was the best chapter of the show thusfar, with production values exceeding The Rise of Skywalker and plenty to keep casual viewers and super-fans happy. Timothy Olyphant was superb, and the final shot made me squee out loud.

Although, given some of the casting rumours, I'm nervous that those aforementioned casual viewers will start to be overlooked, and the central character of Mando will be underserved. I really hope they can keep the balance right, but it's gonna be real tricky.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic