Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 4,447

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I get the personal thing. Might not work for all, but my approach is to post what I'm comfortable with and let the reader sort it out. Besides, I care more about the regulars (a.k.a. my friends, yourself included) than any potential lurker!

Yeah, I definitely felt like the second season was narratively dragging its heels towards the end, but I chalked that up to the network demanding more from a surprise hit (and it's why I think I've grown to love the third season even more, because it's very deliberately sticking two fingers up to network expectations and interference, as well as convention). That isn't to criticise the second season; I respect the fact that it shifted tonal gears and still managed to maintain a baseline quality. As you say, many other shows have done far worse over their lifetimes!

Oh, that was Michael Cera's random cameo, wasn't it? I loved that scene!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I still haven’t seen Twin Peaks’ third season despite being hyped about it for years. I just never got round to it and I might binge the first two seasons again before attempting it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Yea, I'm not good with actor names, but that was definitely Cera. What a moment.

@nessisonett Rewatching the first two seasons (and the feature film!) will definitely heighten your enjoyment of the series.

Kidfried

Th3solution

Anyone watch the first episode of The Mandalorian Season 2?
I just got through watching it and quite enjoyed it. I hate having to wait a whole week for the next episode. Especially when the episode ends with the final shot of Temuera Morrison / Jango/Boba Fett or a clone... That’s crazy. I was thinking the armor that the Marshall had was Boba’s but was it extracted from the dead Sarlac? Can’t wait to see where this goes!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah really good episode. Bonus points for having Timothy Olyphant starring in it. I don't mind waiting a week for the next episode as I don't tend to binge watch stuff anyway. It didn't end on a cliffhanger when you are waiting too see the conclusion of the current episode, so don't really see the issue.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I had never seen him before, but he was great. A quick search shows me he’s in Justified and Deadwood so that fits. Looks like he also has done a couple video game characters, one in COD MW3.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I went on a Timothy Olyphant binge after watching him in Justified which is probably the best show of the 2010s. Deadwood is also brilliant.

mookysam

Deadwood's amazing. I still need to watch the film but will probably go through the series again first.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam The film was really brilliant. I honestly think it would have been better if I had waited 10 years to watch it though, one of the major themes is the passage of time and it leans heavily towards viewers who watched it when it was first on. I’d recommend watching it blind, rather than straight after a binge of the TV show.

TheFrenchiestFry

So Mandalorian Episode 1 was a thing

They literally faked people out just to unfake it at the very end lol

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

@nessisonett You should try Santa Clarita Diet. Yes it's kinda dumb and it only lasted three seasons but you can't not like Olyphant in it. Actually I take it back, it's not dumb, it's hilarious and I should just own my opinion.

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I didn't get who that was but then, I'm not really a SW fan. I just watch for baby yoda and the occasional guest star. And if Rosario does indeed show up I'm definitely there for that too.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder I just saw the new Mando episode. I usually wait to binge a complete season, but I couldn't resist. I thought it was the best chapter of the show thusfar, with production values exceeding The Rise of Skywalker and plenty to keep casual viewers and super-fans happy. Timothy Olyphant was superb, and the final shot made me squee out loud.

Although, given some of the casting rumours, I'm nervous that those aforementioned casual viewers will start to be overlooked, and the central character of Mando will be underserved. I really hope they can keep the balance right, but it's gonna be real tricky.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I was the same. I couldn’t resist the temptation to watch right away. I think I might go back and rewatch season one, or at least a few episodes, while I wait.

I got interested in Olyphant (which is eerily close to The Lord of the Rings huge battle elephants called Oliphaunts) and looked up Justified with intent to try it but it’s only on Hulu apparently in the U.S. and I hesitate to subscribe to another service, even if it’s just a few dollars a month more from having D+. I do have access to Deadwood though, but it seems like he’s more of a side character there.

nessisonett

@Th3solution Oh no, Olyphant’s the main character in Deadwood. It’s an ensemble but he’s the main protagonist of sorts. Shame about Justified, it’s on Prime over here!

RogerRoger

@Th3solution That's why I was late to the new episode; I was busy re-watching the first season yesterday and this morning. There's been a definite jump in production budget and quality. Given what (and who) is hinted to come this season, I'm gonna fill the gaps with essential episodes of The Clone Wars and Rebels, but I'll probably watch that new chapter again, as well.

I've only seen Olyphant twice before (aside from when he was a battle elephant in The Lord of the Rings, apparently). He played the villain in Live Free or Die Hard and then Agent 47 in the first Hitman movie, and was good in both roles.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Glad you enjoyed it! I'm trying to get my mate into it as he gave up after 2 episodes of the first season and is a huge Star Wars nerd in his own words. But I think he will like it as he said he has become disillusioned with the franchise after the sequel trilogy. I only finished watching the first season not too long ago so I shan't be giving it a rewatch myself.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

Three episodes into the Invasion crossover in the Arrowverse, I go to put on the Legends of Tomorrow episode and it’s off Sky. Seasons 1,2,4 and 5 are on Sky but 2 isn’t. I checked Netflix and it’s only in the States. It was on Sky last night. Even the website lists every season except 2. Ended up biting the bullet and buying that one season on Prime for £20. £20 for essentially the second half of the season. I’m bloody raging and utterly confused as to why it disappeared. Just very very strange when every other season of every other show is on.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I can understand recent disillusionment, but here's hoping your friend can eventually find the time / patience to stick with Mando. He and I sound quite similar and so, if I can fall for the show, I'm sure he can as well. Best of luck!

@nessisonett Did that involve NowTV by any chance? Because that service is a confusing mess, and it's criminal that they've only got bits and pieces of the Arrowverse, every now and again.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I think I've managed to get him to carry on watching it. He also likes Sonic almost as much as you but is a self proclaimed Nintendo fan boy, so that is where the similarities end!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic