Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 2,181 to 2,200 of 2,384

KilloWertz

@nessisonett I'll admit that it's hard to defend that or even argue that you're wrong, as you aren't, but I will say at least for the continued scoring I understand going for a record if the other team continues to be unable to stop you at almost every turn. Pugh/Swanson scored her first ever WC goal, so I understand that celebration (and it tying the record). Morgan's record setting goal was actually a more subdued celebration in comparison to others like Rapinoe's when she was spinning around and all that.

Like I said, I get what you're saying, but at the same time the actual team they did it to didn't have a problem with it. They were embarrassed and obviously cried, but they are the ones it was done to and nobody spoke out that they hated what the USWNT did in that game.

Not you specifically, but love them or hate them, women's soccer wouldn't be where it is today without a team that was as dominant as them. Obviously this year's team was an embarrassing shell of that team, and they have earned at least some of the hate (they get hate even in the US now), but they also earned the right to have at least some arrogance. Hopefully this year's debacle will put some things in perspective for them though, as obviously they lost the right to be as arrogant anymore.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

QualityGeezer

@KilloWertz it wasn't meant as a knock or anything anti American. I have massive respect for the USWNT, been outstanding for years and it's a shame some of the older players such as Alex Morgan who is a proper legend to have their careers end that way. You would know better than me but was interesting the accusation of being arrogant came from within the USA, seen carly lloyd's comments and she was very damning amongst others and carly lloyd would have been teammates with alot of these players

Edited on by QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

KilloWertz

@QualityGeezer You're fine. They deserved comments like that given how they seemed to approach this year's World Cup. Between a handful of the players refusing to sing along to the national anthem and the fact that it looked like some of them weren't even trying a lot of the time, it was a rough tournament for them and the fans.

Carli Lloyd got criticized for what she said, but I thought she was pretty much spot on. Like I said, it didn't look like they were putting in that much effort at times. Sure, they were missing a few key players, but between a lack of effort, poor coaching, and bad game plans, it was hard to watch and obviously extremely disappointing. Given how bad they were offensively in the Olympics and even in the SheBelieves Cup, it wasn't totally surprising that they would bomb out in the World Cup when they kept refusing to fire the coach, but still disappointing. They really needed Mallory Swanson, since it was clear outside of the first game that Sophia Smith is not ready for the international stage.

Anyways, this got a bit more longwinded than intended, but a lot of them still will be playing. Ertz and Rapinoe were the only two that announced their retirements already. Alex Morgan will be sticking around, and I don't blame her as that would be a horrible way to go out. Rapinoe retiring, as great as she used to be, is a huge blessing imo.

QualityGeezer

@KilloWertz what is the opinion of rapinoe in the US? She is undoubtedly a great player but she is very polarising with her behaviour

QualityGeezer

KilloWertz

@QualityGeezer I try not to read too much about that kind of stuff, but as far as I know you summed it up pretty well by calling her polarizing. Obviously there's some hate for the wrong reasons, but while she was one of the best players to ever play on the USWNT (nobody can rightfully deny that), I doubt general fans will ever like her as much as some of the other all-time great Americans. Doesn't help that the country is about as divided as it can get politically, but I have a feeling Alex Morgan will be the more beloved player in the end now that the mantle is fully her's and is usually fairly quiet.

nessisonett

Almost reassuring to see Spurs are still the shambles they always are. Ange is clearly having an impact on their attacking play just as he did with us but Spurs have one of the worst defensive lines I’ve seen in the Prem.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KAIRU

@Nessisonett He's only been here a few months and it's the first game of the season. You can't expect him to iron out all the defensive issues and get rid of all the deadwood overnight. Give it a rest for once.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

KAIRU

On the topic of Spurs, however, I thought we were relatively good today. A few shaky moments defensively and the deflection for Brentford's second goal was a bit unlucky, but I thought we played quite well — especially in the second half.

Bissouma was absolutely immense on the ball and was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Madders was really promising as well getting the two assists, and Destiny Udogie, my word, what a player. He's got a bright future ahead of him. Good signs moving forward but still a few glaring holes in the squad that need looking at.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

QualityGeezer

I dont know who this Jackson kid for Chelsea is but he looks pretty decent

QualityGeezer

KAIRU

This United performance gives me hope for this weekend.

KAIRU

@QualityGeezer Wolves were definitely hard done by there. Just lacking the quality up front but they deserved to win that — admittedly I only saw the last half hour.

EDIT: Also, how was that NOT a penalty?

Edited on by KAIRU

JohnnyShoulder

Looks like De Byrne is out for a few months then. Will make much difference to Man City's season? I doubt it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

I forgot just how much I despise the English media during any sort of international tournament. Somehow I thought they would be more bearable during the women’s World Cup.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ApostateMage

Lauren Hemp. Take a bow, dear. Take a bow. 👏

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

Untitled

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

QualityGeezer

Never heard of this Endo Liverpool have just signed. Hopefully he's a hidden gem 🤞

QualityGeezer

JohnnyShoulder

@QualityGeezer We've lost a Hendo and gained an Endo.

He comes Klopp approved, which is good enough for me.

Apparently he has a really good work ethic and should fit into the way Klopp's teams play. He was also top of most of the stats for a DM in the Bundesliga last season. We will have to see how well that translates into the Premier League.

QualityGeezer

@JohnnyShoulder mate you should be paid for these puns 🤣 just smacks of desperation to me I hope I'm wrong about him

QualityGeezer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic