Forums

Topic: The Presidium - A General Mass Effect Topic

Posts 261 to 280 of 347

render

@LtSarge That's awesome, thanks for the info. Great to know that I can just concentrate on 1 for now and really get into it. It sounds like it's going to be an interesting universe to discover more about and if there's DLC to do then that's going to keep me busy for a while so will happily come back when I've got more time

render

LtSarge

@render Sounds great mate. One thing I'd like to add is that I find the Horizon series to be similar to Mass Effect in terms of how dialogue is presented. It borrows the dialogue wheel from ME and even has the camera switch angles depending on who's talking, which is heavily reminiscent of ME. I think you'll notice this after having played ME1, so playing Forbidden West afterwards might still feel like you're experiencing ME in one way.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge That's a wise approach, I reckon. Do be warned that there's a finite amount of unique dialogue, though, and that your squad will run out of conversation long before you've been everywhere and done everything. Continually switching up your preferred squadmates will help. I'm a bit of a stick-in-the-mud so latched on to my favourites and rarely took anybody else out with me, so a lot of my driving was silent!

@render So when the Legendary Edition launched, I played the entire trilogy through, and it took me just over a month, but I basically had to clear my entire schedule, and there were days where I'd be playing for six, maybe seven hours total. They are addictively immersive, but I'd absolutely recommend spacing them out. They were originally released years apart from one another, and everybody still loved 'em back then so, unless you get utterly hooked and can't think about anything other than Mass Effect for the duration, I reckon you should take your time, enjoy the ride, and treat them as separate games.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

render

@LtSarge You're right, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I shall prepare myself for that confusion 😄.

The camera angle stuff in Horizon does get a bit weird at times as it uses different levels of zoom as the conversation goes on, even when just focusing on the same character. I guess they did it so that it looks more dynamic but just seemed strange to me.

render

render

@RogerRoger Wow that's some commitment. I would love to be able to dedicate that much time to it but I feel my wife might start giving me the evils for not spending more time with the kids 😂

You are right though, I will likely still enjoy them playing them apart and will give me something else to look forward to going back to as I can already tell I'm going to love em.

render

RogerRoger

@render I'm glad it's already made a good first impression! Nothing worse than buying an entire trilogy, playing its first five minutes and thinking, "I've made a terrible mistake!"

I'm sure, however you end up getting through them, you'll have a blast. Enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@render Yeah, the camera zooms in and out on people in the Mass Effect games as well, haha. It doesn't bother me but if it stood out to you then you'll definitely notice it here as well.

LtSarge

render

@Keith_Zissou Did you remember much about 1 when coming to play 2 after all that time or did you have to watch a recap video? I've always forgotten the smaller details about games I've played but remember the overall picture of what happened so do like to do that if I've left it a good amount of time between games.

Happy gaming to you as well. Be interesting to see how you find LE compared to the originals when you've had chance to look at it 😀

render

LtSarge

@RogerRoger That's a good call! I've actually been switching between Jaal and Peebee, and Vetra and Drack, and sometimes Cora as well. I'm not really that interested in the human characters though because I want to learn more about other species. I did the same thing in the ME trilogy as well. But yeah, I might have to mix those four more, such as Peebee and Drack, and Vetra and Jaal, so that I get more dialogue out of them.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I often find that it's fun to put a human alongside another species, because then the former will invariably start asking the latter about cultural differences and whatnot. Liam has a few rather direct questions for some of his shipmates, if memory serves. Runs the risk of some slightly awkward conversations, but you learn a lot about things, and nobody falls out for very long!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

So I just finished Mass Effect Andromeda after 66 hours of playtime (clocking in at about 97% completion) and this was simply a brilliant game. It exceeded my expectations and proved to be a much better game than I thought. While I think Mass Effect 3 had a much better story, it also had a trilogy of build-up while Andromeda is a one and done game. Despite this, I think Andromeda is the best overall game that I've played in the series. It just improves upon so many things and I'll be touching upon them in my review later!

LtSarge

render

@Keith_Zissou Oh no, I hope I haven’t ruined it for you. It’s weird how something like that can bother us so much but it really shows how things have moved on. There’s bigger games now where everything looks unique and even though assets are probably shared they are done in a way that is hard to see.

With ME though it’s really obvious, especially when you do what you were doing, going from planet to planet, which is how I noticed it too. I ended up going to so many of those silos in a row that I knew exactly what to expect once I got inside and it just became a routine.

The game’s great though so I can happily look past that sort of thing but it does mess with your mind somewhat 😆

render

johncalmc

Back when I first played the Mass Effect Legendary Edition I messed up the Platinum in the first game and I was okay with that since I knew I was going to go back and play them again, so a couple of weeks ago I went back to play the first Mass Effect to get the Platinum, messed it up again, then had to play the other two games to complete the story, and now I'm faced with having to do it again and I'm still okay with that.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@johncalmc I found that most of the trophies were organic with ME1 but there were a few choices that could lock you out of the platinum. I'd be alright with going back and playing it again as well.

render

johncalmc

@Keith_Zissou the first time I couldn't get all of the codex entries because I missed one of them where you have to speak to Anderson at the beginning of the game. So I never bothered doing the completionist trophy since I knew I couldn't finish the platinum on that run. Then I did the codex one and finished basically all of the sidequests but the trophy never popped for the completionist one. I don't know why. Apparently the way it's calculated is strange.

johncalmc

Twitter:

johncalmc

@Keith_Zissou I fell out with gaming in the late PS2/early PS3 era and started doing other stuff, and it was actually Mass Effect that got me back into it. I've played through the whole series probably ten times which is really rare for me for anything that came out post-PS1. I have no problem playing it all again for the Platinum.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@Keith_Zissou That's a bad one but glad you got out of it. I had a weird one in the mako where I drove off a mountain, ended up rolling and somehow got stuck in the scenery. After what was probably 20 seconds I was just thinking about reloading but before I managed to do that it respawned me back on the surface. I guess it must have some inbuilt code that checks if you are somewhere you shouldn't be and triggers that respawn. Apart from that I don't think I encountered another bug.

render

Th3solution

Started ME1 through the Legendary Ed.

So far, I’m finding it hard to get into it. It’s alright, and I appreciate the story more being able to start at the beginning, but the voice acting is pretty inconsistent (Kaiden is pretty awful) and game isn’t very good at teaching you the ropes. I wish I just had a controller input layout to look at. I keep just mashing buttons to find out what they do.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

render

@Th3solution Shame that you haven’t got into it from the off but I can highly recommend persevering.

Having never played any of the ME games diving into the LE I wasn’t sure what to expect but came away very happy with the experience. In a few places it did feel dated and somethings for a bit repetitive but I could see why some people love this series. I think because I’d played GotG before it that helped as I was happy with dipping into the abilities wheel during combat.

Hopefully you’ll start to gel with it soon and you won’t look back.

render

Th3solution

@render I’ve spent a little more time with it and it’s starting to grow on me. I’m making my way through the Citadel and mopping up side activities and learning the layout. I played ME2 and ME3 and I know I spent a lot of time in the Citadel, but it’s all been forgotten.

The game is dated, to be sure, and the environments are pretty bland for the most part. The storylines are quite complex though and I feel like an errand boy, er… rather an errand girl in this case since I’m Jane. Running to and fro delivering messages or roughing up someone in order to get in graces with someone else.

But overall, it’s starting to click and I’m remembering some of fun that I remember having with the latter two games of the trilogy.

And @Killowertz will be proud of me because I’ve been really trying to be a b*%ch and stacking up some Renegade points. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic