Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 2,197

themcnoisy

@Th3solution @nessisonett @Draco_V_Ecliptic @LieutenantFatman @Anti-Matter @JohnnyShoulder @Anti-Matter

Been listening to itsallstar who hosts a dreams music stream every Monday at 9pm. It's like the next John Peel show. For 3 hours he plays original tunes made in Dreams followed by a music jam and the quality is awesome. Better than the stuff on comparable radio shows. He showcased some of my songs the last 2 weeks and it's blown my mind to be honest.

My latest tune is at 57 minutes into the show, it's got scratching in it!

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/748321050

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Anti-Matter it is like eurobeat.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ve been a bit busy with trying to study from home and setting all that up but I did enjoy Kiss My Super Bowl Ring by The Garden. It’s messy and all over the place, making it hard to love but I enjoyed the genre hopping madness of it all.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Oh yeah, is that out now? I remember hearing about that album a while back, before it was released, I'll definitely pick that up.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

LieutenantFatman

@themcnoisy
Awesome, well done matey! That is indeed a top quality jam. Are you planning to create any more?

LieutenantFatman

themcnoisy

@LieutenantFatman Yup, straight after that I mad a remix for the game pollen - arguably the best game on Dreams made by the community. The developers listened in as well which was awesome.

I'm currently part of the 'donk' jam. So you have to make a song with a donk in it. I've gone all out this time changing the time stamp from 4/4 to 3/4 when the donk comes in. A similar technique to Pink Floyd money which goes to a 7/8 from 4/4. I don't think a song on Dreams has done this yet. I don't like sticking donks on music so developed my own spin on it. Will try to make a YouTube video later.

themcnoisy

@nessisonett not as good as that obviously.

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Awesome, Noisy! Strong. You’ve really accomplished quite a bit in Dreams. How much musical creation had you done before this? Do you have a lot of training and background prior?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Th3solution I used to MC 20 years ago to various DJs in the North West. Got into music production via music on the PS1 and Dance Ejay on PC before that, They were really basic and pretty bad, but I played around with them and did things they weren't designed for. From there bought an MC 303 and had a hacked version of reason in my last year of uni. Made some ok tunes, my acid house tunes sounded great due to the homemade nature of the genre - but could never master the end sounds well enough to make anything commercial. Then didn't do much until I bought a laptop a few years back with a licensed copy of reason. I've got the basics down, understand automation and am confident I could crank out a commercial album if I had the time and motivation.

Also more importantly I really need someone who is good at polishing my stuff. When you make a tune you get that into it, you miss errors and things that sound slightly off.

nessisonett

Really nice to see Michael Kiwanuka winning the Mercury Prize, it was a great crop this year with Charli XCX, Dua Lipa and Stormzy all missing out. I’ve actually seen him live and he’s brilliant, brought a great energy to his set and mixed up his more well-known tracks into something completely new. As an album and a wider statement of intent, I’m glad Kiwanuka was recognised.

themcnoisy

@Arugula Mostly in Merseyside. I wasn't paid well, sometimes I wasn't paid at all! But it was a laugh the best times were the back end of uni and when I had my first job. My mates set up nights and I went and took a small share of the receipts and got free drinks. It did effect my uni work but hey ho would probably do it again.

I did play Blackpool and Wolverhampton at one point at friends of friends promotions. The reason I finally stopped was the booze and other stuff that went with going out 3/4 times a week. It gets too heavy, I was once awake Thursday until Monday night. Awesome, not so awesome when you can't speak and you have a crowd looking at you. Then have work after a bank holiday.

It was great, when you watch the hangover film - my life was similar to that for 3 or 4 years.

Anyway I have just bought a USB mic, so I will be working on a strings for life remix next week

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett @Th3solution Do you guys ever listen to Joe Bonamassa? I quite like some of his work @Th3solution He is in a band with John Bonham's son, Jason - Black Country Communion. Have you ever heard any of their stuff? Would you recommend it?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@themcnoisy The life of a musician eh? I am quite interested in playing jazz guitar but the guys I knew in my hometown, where I'm originally from would just take drugs in addition to playing the (jazz) music. Well, I don't know that for sure but there were certainly suspicious smells! Anyway, I don't know too much about today's music scene but I get the impression that drugs and drink are still a big part of it and that's what keeps me away from wanting to take it seriously, I prefer a more sedate lifestyle - where I can sleep properly. Would you say that that lifestyle goes hand in hand with being a professional musician? Better to just work from home if you're not into the lifestyle?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I had not heard of him or BCC but I gave a few songs of theirs a spin just now and I do quite like them. They have that Southern Rock feel that I like. Good recommendation!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ve not really heard of him before but sounds pretty solid from what I’ve listened to there!

I also listened to Anna von Hausswolff’s new album, “All Thoughts Fly”. It’s utterly brilliant, completely instrumental but engrossing due to the crazy tones she can get from an organ. Some sounds just grab you and this album grabbed me. One of my albums of the year.

Anyone got any recommendations for solid 90s EDM/acid house/rave? I’ve been listening to Orbital, The Prodigy, 808 State and The KLF while coding as they get me in the zone. What sorta stuff do you lot listen to that gets you in the zone?

themcnoisy

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I'm almost 40 now, it was over 16 years ago.

We have some jazz players on Dreams, Sonofaglitch sends me stuff all the time and it's free form jazz.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic