Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,197

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah, I listen to such a wide range of music that there’s a difference between music that I love and music that I think is good. I tend to be a bit more critical than most when it comes to music so I can personally enjoy something while still admitting that there are faults or it’s not exactly original.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett That's good, that's the best attitude to take when listening to music, I feel like I have the same, or a similar approach in my listening habits. Did you listen to the Narrows & Mastodon tracks? (i'm off rock now, so it doesn't really matter).

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Anti-Matter

Dub i dub i dub i dub bub bub
Dub i dub i dub i dub yeah yeah
Dub i dub i dub i dub bub bub
I don't need your love anymore

Anti-Matter

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett it's Draco_V_Ecliptic, Ringy-dingy-dingy! (hope you got that reference in light of what I am about to say) What is your take on Bran Van 3000? I loved Drinking in L.A and listened to the rest of the album on spotify, it's a mixed bag imo, too many genres going on at once, but some great ideas there.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Oh wow, I remember that song. IIRC it was on the FIFA 2000 soundtrack along with people like Fatboy Slim, Massive Attack, New Radicals and Jamiroquai. FIFA soundtracks used to be great.

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman Oh wow that’s cool, I had no idea. Also 5 years??? Lord, it feels like yesterday and I played at launch. Right in the middle of my Tumblr phase, unfortunately.

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
I'm not familiar with Tumblr but I'm guessing it's just as bad as most social media sites. I played it on the Vita, I think a couple of years back. Only listened to about 30 minutes of this video so far but it's a real treat.

LieutenantFatman

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett @LieutenantFatman I recently picked up Ariel Pink's album The Doldrums, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but after reading some unsavory stuff about him on Wikipedia, I've decided to sell his album. What do you two think? Is it ever possible to separate the art from the artist? It just spoiled it for me in this case, look him up if you are curious as to his controversial views. But be warned, you might find them quite disturbing.

LieutenantFatman

@Draco_V_Ecliptic
Lots of people seem to separate the art from the artist without any effort. I am like you though, I really struggle to do this. If I learn someone has done some particularly vile things and are just awful people, then it puts me off anything they've created.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m terrible at separating the two. I definitely am aware of Ariel Pink’s nonsense attitudes and I just wouldn’t want to support him financially. I can still appreciate things like Michael Jackson songs and even R Kelly has some bops but it does make it hard for me to even think about supporting that.

Black_Swordsman

E&F sides of Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings are available on Spotify now, @nessisonett As a guitarist, do you like any Jim Hall stuff? He taught Bill Frisell, who you might like as well, he is often compared to Miles Davis, I can recommend some albums if you like, if you are not too inundated with stuff already!

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure who they are exactly, but it was on a football program and it reminded of something that should be in Cyberpunk 2077.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Have you heard any Paul Desmond stuff? Solid 60s jazz saxophonist. I believe he played with Dave Brubeck.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic