Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,192

Black_Swordsman

I also really like Kendrick Lamar, and a pantheon of jazz guitarists, I play the guitar myself so I quite like the fact that I can learn from these gods and geniuses. (Untitled Unmastered and To Pimp A Butterfly both have heavy jazz influences, and I would recommend them both to any fans of jazz and hip hop)

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

Recently been listening to Miles Davis and DJ Shadow.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

Is anyone here a fan of Cult of Luna's 'Eternal Kingdom' or Isis the band's 'Wavering Radiant'?

Black_Swordsman

Has anyone else heard Deathprod's 'Occulting Disk' yet? If so, what are your thoughts and feelings about the record? What would Deathprod afficionados recommend from his early catalogue? Or, what is a good record for a new fan to start with?

Black_Swordsman

@kyleforrester87 Do you like any Bossk? If not, I would highly recommend them to you because you're a post rock fan. Start with I, then II, then finish with Audio Noir and you'll have heard all their stuff. If you don't like I, then feel free to move on. Let me know what you think if you do check them out.

DonJorginho

One of my favourite songs, such a chilled out vibe with amazing singing and production.

If you haven't heard any of Frank Ocean and like this song I heavily recommend to listen to his albums Blonde and Channel Orange.

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

Black_Swordsman

@Solea What are you listening to these days? I'm digging John Zorn's Painkiller project on vinyl. I've also been listening to earlier Deathprod stuff on Spotify, do you think you will explore his back catalogue as well?

KALofKRYPTON

Hey everyone. If you haven't had a look yet, please go and vote in the Push Square community run screenshot of the year competition, there are a few hours left for the public vote and you can find all of the pictures and information in the forum post 😁

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Black_Swordsman

@Solea Thanks, I'll be sure to pick up John Zorn's split with Napalm Death. Did he do anything else with them?

Black_Swordsman

Any other Nels Cline fans on here? Besides Dirty Baby, the Andrew Hill album, Lovers, Currents, Constellations, the John Coltrane covers album and Destroy All Nels Cline, what are the best albums from his diverse catalog? (Vinyl is preferable.)

Also, can anyone recommend any other free jazz guitarists? (I like Sonny Sharrock and Otomo Yoshihide besides him.)

Kidfried

@DonJorginho Great taste. Radiohead and Frank Ocean are among my favorite artists.

Have you ever listened to FKA twigs, I'd argue it's a bit in between of those two.

Kidfried

DonJorginho

@Kidfried OMG YES I adore her music! MAGDALENE is one of my favourite albums of the year.

And Frank and Radiohead definitely make my top 5 for sure, what else you into?

DonJorginho

Black_Swordsman

I am a huge Suffocation fan, I want to know are any of their post-Doug Cerrito albums worth buying? Edit: Recently I've been listening to a lot of non-metal stuff. Gary Clark Jr. is excellent.

Edit: I have now more or less given up on rock and it's related sub-genres altogether, save for the sound of the electric guitar on some jazz recordings. Has anyone else made a complete left-turn and sacrificed the music of their yesteryear for something new and intriguing?

DonJorginho

What is everyone's top 10 albums of the 2010s?

My top ten:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
2. Blonde - Frank Ocean
3. Flowerboy - Tyler, The Creator
4. IGOR - Tyler, The Creator
5. Currents - Tame Impala
6. A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
7. Yeezus - Kanye West
8. Lemonade - Beyonce
9. The Life Of Pablo - Kanye West
10. Once in a Long, Long While... - Low Roar

Honourable Mentions: TPAB (Kendrick Lamar), Channel Orange (Frank Ocean), 22 A Million (Bon Iver), Magdalene (FKA Twigs), Multi Love (Unknown Mortal Orchestra), Lonerism (Tame Impala), ANTI (Rihanna), Melodrama (Lorde), Ye (Kanye West), KSG (Kanye West & Others), 2014 Forest Hills Drive (J Cole), Anima (Thom Yorke), Assume Form (James Blake).

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

nessisonett

@DonJorginho Ooh, not done one of these yet.

1. To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
2. Minecraft: Volume Alpha - C418 (yes really)
3. Time n Place - Kero Kero Bonito
4. 무너지기 (Crumbling) - Mid-Air Thief
5. Come In - Weatherday
6. Visions - Grimes
7. Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE
8. Leak 04-13 - Jai Paul
9. Replica - Oneohtrix Point Never
10. Igor - Tyler the Creator

Shoutout to Orpheus by Hermit and the Recluse, Bonito Generation by KKB and Magdalene by FKA Twigs, who just missed out.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DonJorginho

@nessisonett My honourable mentions were TPAB, Magdalene, 21 A Million, Multilove and Anti.

Your list is great, respect the C418 Soundtrack as that is amazing.

DonJorginho

Kidfried

Great lists so far. I'm working on one, but I find it hella difficult to be honest.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@LN78 Never been a big fan of Oasis but Definitely Maybe is a great album. WTSMG has a few truly great songs but it’s not as consistent. I’m more of a Pulp and Blur fan when it comes to Britpop but it’s not exactly the most coherent genre considering those 3 bands aren’t massively similar other than the fact they’re English.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic