Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,197

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder yeah that’s a bit of a classic, I actually listened to that song for the first time in ages a few days ago, it’s not that great I don’t think but the video is excellent. I’m not a huge fan of Aphex Twin really, I do love both of his Selected Ambient Works albums though.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Come to think of it was the video for Come to Daddy which used to freak me out, but Windowlicker was more well known. His stuff always came across as to experimental to me back then. Not sure if he has done any, but it think he would make a good soundtrack!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder ah sorry I’m being dumb, I was talking about Come to Daddy the whole time - dunno why I thought you meant that when you said Windowlicker. Just you mentioned the video and the CTD one is, I think, the video at least most people are more familiar with. Either way, it is a great vid!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 That was pretty good. Is he still going?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 No worries dude, for some reason whenever I see Aphex Twin mentioned I always think of Windowlicker.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone own anything from Ghostly International? Anything anyone would recommend?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

HallowMoonshadow

Rather then run around like a mad woman during my lunch break like I usually do... Instead I just decided to chill

... By listening to Melodic Death Metal with a Viking slant about Loki, Ragnarok and his final battle with Heimdall

You guys... probably won't like it at all with your Jazz, and Electro and alternate music

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Love a bit of AA - they are pretty intense live!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

HallowMoonshadow

Oh really @KALofKRYPTON? I can only imagine! I've not gone to a live gig since I was kid.

My dad was a Stage Tech and Roadie. I met a lot of people back then like Ozzy, King Diamond, Metallica, AC-DC and a bunch of others when my dad was in town.

Buuuuut I was between 0-5 years old so (I actually met Ozzy as a newborn more or less)... I don't actually remember and had no context behind it anyway back then 😅

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah! Seen them a couple of times back when Wolves still had the Civic/Wulfrun Hall going strong. Saw them on their own tour and with Slayer and Mastodon before that. They're really tight live, like - Metallica tight!

That's cool getting to meet folk, even if you were too young to remember.

I miss the glory days of the Civic. Been to plenty of good (and bad) venues around the country, but the Civic pretty much tops (should say 'topped', its been closed for a couple of years now and the local council is bungling the awful sounding refurb 😢) them all apart from Brixton Academy - that place is golden!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

HallowMoonshadow

Well I may not remember anything @KALofKRYPTON but I still have a bunch of my dad's stuff from being a stage tech/roadie

• Five different stages passes (All with skull designs)
  • A Metallica crew/parking pass
  • A number of AC-DC dollars
  • A U2 Dollar
  • A bunch of plectrums (Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Kiss)

I did watch Metallica's 2014 glastonbury when it was aired on tv... Pretty sweet. I really should watch some more preformances if I can... or actually go to a gig...

Might as well reply to ya here @Ralizah from the games you've beat topic as I'm gonna go off on a tangent a bit

I do quite thrash metal.

As in the above and my previous post to Kal my dad was a big influence on my musical tastes. I was listening to the Big four of Thrash and plenty of other bands and genres since the age of ten or so. Only genres I don't really like are rap and what's now considered "pop"l

Whilst playing Jade Cocoon 2 I was listening to a playlist consisting of stuuf from Kill 'em All, Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, The Black Album & Death Magnetic by Metallica amongst a few other bands

There's a few decent tracks from The Black Album with "My Friend of Misery" being a personal favourite. Enter Sandman's pretty decent too.

Haven't actually listened to any of Load, Reload or St Anger though (Well I've heard the track Frantic and it's alright) so I'm not much of a hipster lol

I find Death Magnetic is a great return to form though... Love that album.

I've heard VERY mixed to negative opinions on that album they did with Lou Reed..

Haven't actually kept up with my music for a number of years though... In fact my lastest Album was Amon Amarth's Deciever of the Gods (2013) bought back in 2014... 😂

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Gig tat is possibly the best tat!

Regarding Metallica, I always feel that Load and ReLoad are very much 'you had to be there' kind of albums. It was 'new' Metallica - they'd honed a bit of an edge and it all felt very fresh. Combined with St. Anger - they're the albums that I largely ignore now. They have quite a few highlights - but I think that's more down to 14 year old me being the only metal fan I knew at school and having new Metallica stuff to wax lyrical about.

Wasn't fan of St. Anger at the time, the single was played pretty heavily on the pub/club scene at the time though - so you get it under your skin by osmosis.

I really didn't give Death Magnetic much of a try. Think I listened to it once. Same for Hardwired...

HallowMoonshadow

Haven't listened to Hardwired myself @KALofKRYPTON ... Cus I kinda didn't know about it... at all

The audio on Death Magnetic isn't great thanks to the mixing being done purposely just to be loud (didn't even know it was a thing but apparently there's an entire "loudness war" in the music industry) with distortions being fairly notable.

If I recall there was a Vinyl pressing recently with better audio quality. Also the Guitar Hero Metallica apparently had better audio quality too for some reason... There's probably stuff on youtube with those versions if that's part of the problem

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy DM was the first time I felt that they were a bunch of old chaps trying to recapture their youth (and audience). While I don't like St. Anger - it was at least a progression (not a great one and a total waste of one the greatest living lead guitarists there is).
Death Magnetic and even Hardwired have a flavour of Garage Inc. and Kill 'Em All that never really seems to sit quite right.

There's a clear trajectory of style and production technique over the span of Metallica's output up until Death Magnetic; where we're given the impression that these multi-millionaires are definitely just rock-bros recording in a garage somewhere

HallowMoonshadow

Well I'd rather have old guys trying to recapture their youth after trying out a few different sounds for a few years because they wanted to @KALofKRYPTON rather then Machine Head for example with their jump in the early 00's to go from Groove to Nu-Metal of all things just to try chase the latest trend

I do like Machine Head (Mainly the Blackening and Through the Ashes of Empires) but the Nu-Metal stuff was complete and utter waffle

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
Machine Head are one of those bands that managed to largely escape my notice.

Black_Swordsman

Gene Clark - No Other is a great vinyl record, recently reissued, I quite like it. Progressive/psychedelic folk ensues once you stick it on the turn-table, I really like the fact that the songs are quite moving and emotive, which, coming from a borderline former metaller, is a powerful statement.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic