Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 2,197

Tjuz

@DonJorginho I really do not listen to enough albums to justify putting together a top 10, but I can say that my personal favourite would be Jessie J's R.O.S.E. I doubt I'll find any people who share the same view here, considering it appears everyone's music tastes are dramatically different than mine! I suppose female pop is not the norm here, haha. Just an incredible album with all memorable songs that fit together really well. Great themes throughout with top notch production and vocals. It's definitely the album I've listened to that I come back to most often.

Tjuz

nessisonett

@Tjuz Female pop’s perfectly acceptable, Grimes, FKA Twigs, Lana Del Rey etc. I just don’t think I’d give a Jessie J album a go because I still remember her music from back in the day, which is rather bad of me. Maybe I’ll like it, eh?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Tjuz

@nessisonett That's understandable. I personally love her music from back in the day as well, but in all fairness, the album R.O.S.E. is entirely different. It's with a new label and everything, and even touches on the struggles she had with her old label to make the music she really wanted to make. It's very much R&B rather than the pop she's known for, and unlike her old music, it feels like it's coming straight from the heart. I'd recommend giving it a shot since it's so different! You might be able to enjoy her new sound if you enjoy simplistic production with a focus on vocals.

Tjuz

DonJorginho

Did my own edit of one of my favourite Kanye leaks, Cash To Burn

Changes:

• Mixing Changes
  • Rearranged how the song is laid out
  • Incorporated parts of each version to leak so far
  • Added some little bits to the instrumental to flesh it out

Let me know what you think! I do a lot of these edits and do my own beats so might post more in future.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QktFjVfNLGtoyEadc4zOWa1zzBYB...

DonJorginho

Kidfried

@DonJorginho will definitely listen to this when I get home. It's cool you can do this kinda thing.

Howdo you do it?

Kidfried

DonJorginho

@Kidfried I do loads of it, I just love making music and make my own stuff too, I use Logic Pro X on my mac in my own studio in my bedroom, luckily my room is big enough to have walk in wardrobe that serves as a booth to record, then have a quarter of the room dedicated to the work desk to do the actually programming and keyboard playing, then sit on the couch and plug it into to my surround to hear how it all sounds.

I just am passionate for music and creating my own stuff, I usually do a lot of audio cutting, EQ mixing, using my keyboard to sample, and include parts of my own sounds into the music to make it really sound new.

DonJorginho

HallowMoonshadow

... Y'know what this thread needs a bit more of? Metal 🎸

Specifically Groove Metal with some Machine Head I was listening to on the way home from work

"All Falls Down" from Through The Ashes Of Empires (One of my personal favourites)

"Descend The Shades Of Night" from Through The Ashes Of Empires

"Beautiful Mourning" from The Blackening (Bit heavy going this one!)

"Now I Lay Thee Down" from The Blackening

"Locust" from Unto The Locust

& A cover of the Judas Priest Song "The Sentinel" that was a bonus track on Unto The Locust that I quite like

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@DonJorginho Death Grips are certainly insane and really good. Listened to Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Megamix last night which is them at their wackiest.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Honestly never been the biggest metal fan but certain sub genres can be fun. Unsilent Death by Nails is a classic and City by Strapping Young Lad rips. Stoner metal is great too with Kyuss and Boris being my favourite bands there.

Black_Swordsman

Any Kyuss and QOTSA fans on here? Which do you prefer? and why? I would say Kyuss for Josh Homme's superior tone and style as their guitarist, but QOTSA for Homme's vocals, he's a much better vocalist than John Garcia, but Kyuss are more fun overall and their songs are more high energy than QOTSA's.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic QOTSA are a great traditional ‘rock band’ and both Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are great albums but I’d have to go with Kyuss too. Welcome to Sky Valley is one of my favourite stoner metal albums and it’s just a great fun album. It’s definitely one I’m keeping my eye out for on vinyl. I really enjoy a lot of stoner/drone metal compared to most other types so Kyuss are basically a perfect band for my tastes. Honestly I probably listen to QOTSA more however, since they’re a great singles band. Now I’m all confused 😂

Black_Swordsman

Any John McLaughlin fans on here? I think he plays in a rock style within a jazz context, maybe that sounds obvious, but there are only a few guys in the jazz world who do that, and do it well.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

DonJorginho

Here to celebrate the amazing new album from Tame Impala - The Slow Rush!

Untitled

An amazing album, with a multitude of emotions protruding from each immaculate soundscape, The Slow Rush is truly Kevin Parker's best work and shows the quality that he has as a musician and further cements his place as one of the most innovative solo artists in the industry.

Not only has Kevin brought his A-Game to this album, he also has made waves in the way we view pop going forward with him merging all sorts of styles and techniques to make a whole unique vibe and sound never heard much these days.

You will go from breaking out to mid dance with tracks like Glimmer and Instant Destiny to be caught up in a tidal wave of emotions and deep thought from songs like One More Hour and in my opinion the greatest Tame Impala song of all time potentially with On Track.

10/10

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

Black_Swordsman

Has anyone heard of a band called Standing On The Corner, listen to them? Or Holly Herndon? She makes music with an electronic A.I. "baby"

Black_Swordsman

Any fellow guitar nuts on here? Who would you recommend in terms of pure shred? I like Guthrie Govan for his work with The Aristocrats, and Allan Holdsworth for his mid-career shred/Synthaxe albums.

I don't know if any of you like Van Halen, but Holdsworth was highly praised by Eddie Van Halen.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Pure shred? Wata from Boris hands down is one of the best guitarists in the world and probably the best female guitarist. Just Abandoned Myself is 18 minutes of loud, crackling goodness.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I watched a live video of her playing, and I wouldn't, personally call it shred, try some of the artists I recommended if you want to hear what I meant. Holdsworth especially.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic