Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 2,192

andreoni79

One of my favourite bands, Arab Strap.
Ever heard of this song? It makes mention of Playstation, beer and broken hearts: a possible Pushsquare anthem?

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Black_Swordsman

@ellisael Do you like ZZ Top's 'Eliminator' album or Slash's Snakepit's 'It's Five o' Clock Somewhere'?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

Recently I have been listening to Isis' last two albums and Neurosis 'Times of Grace' record, I also like a lot of Jazz and Classical music. Any recommendations with regard to Classical music would be appreciated.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

JJ-firl

@Draco_Ecliptic You might appreciate Hauschka, a German musician who plays the ‘prepared’ piano. Influenced by 20th century avant garde and experimental artists (John Cage,...) and contemporary electronic music. I really love his work.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Black_Swordsman

@JJ-firl Thanks, hes not too shabby at all, sorry for the late response, can you recommend any albums by Philip Glass? I have Glassworks and love that, alternatively ,do you know of any contemporary jazz or other classical performers that might be of interest to me? I like Kronos Quartet's 'Aheym' and 'Polish Night Music' by David Lynch and Marek Zebrowski. If you haven't heard 'Night music, then I fully recommend giving it a spin.

Black_Swordsman

Can anyone recommend anything similar to Colin Stetson's 'Presents Sorrow: A Re-imagining of Gorecki's third symphony'? Either jazz or classical would work for me, I really love the electric guitar-work on that record.

KALofKRYPTON

Recently discovered Pomplamoose - exceptionally glad that I did!

Earlier works are rather quirky and they had a 'video song' format (they're old-guard YouTubers) for a long time. More recently they've switched to collaboration and studio format with some really great original tracks and covers.

Highly recommended.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JJ-firl

@Draco_V_Ecliptic No problem, I’m happy you took the time to listen. Glad you enjoyed it. I’m not very familiar with more recent work of Glass, I’m afraid but regarding contemporary jazz I have two recommendations:

STUFF

Belgian band that blends jazz, electronics and post-rock.

KOKOROKO

British jazz collective with afrobeat, latin influences.

Edited on by JJ-firl

Kidfried

@JJ-firl Stuff is very cool! Ill try think if I can come up with some nice jazz recommendations.

Kidfried

Gremio108

Red Hot Chili Peppers' By The Way album, on a sunny Sunday morning.

That's all I came here to say really.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Black_Swordsman

@JJ-firl

Thanks man! , Very nice stuff!, I'll see your jazz recommendations and raise you a couple of my own -

Let me know what you think and if you want more that are similar.
Played any good games recently? We can talk about them in a different thread.

KALofKRYPTON

I've had 'Wichita Lineman' in my head all day. Could be worse.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JJ-firl

@Draco_V_Ecliptic John Scofield is such a legend, there's always a funky side to his work! The Nels Cline 4 are awesome too, never heard of them. These guys sure can jam...

@Kidfried Their live shows are off the chain!

kyleforrester87

Boards of Canada are probably my favourite music artists, if you like great music you should give the below a listen. It’s an old Peel session recording which they’ve rereleased today, it’s been a long time since I have heard it. The beginning always reminded me of Ecco the Dolphin too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYnw3GBAlU

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@andreoni79 great, i’ve heard bits and pieces of b12 but never given them a full listen - i’ll play that album today. So much absolute gold signed to Warp!

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@andreoni79 good shout by the way I’ve added to my regular rotation

Apparently there was a third member of BoC originally, by the name “Christ.” - if you’re not aware it’s worth checking out, he doesn’t seem to have a lot of music released and nothing on Spotify but you can find a bit on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFZ1z-TwD4U

Enjoying the Apollo era radio beep samples in this one!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@andreoni79 woah woah woah woah woah!

"squarepusher"

Is that a real band?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 @andreoni79 The video for Apex Twin's Windowlicker always used to freak me out! Mind you I tended to see at stupid o'clock after a night out so I had a few jars in me!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic