Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 2,219

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett it really, really is.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Thrillho

There was one guy I remember seeing at a charity all-dayer in London about 10 years ago who was ace called Random Impulse.

He used to do loads of “refixes” of songs and I always liked his version of Fell in Love With a Girl (I can only find this acoustic version).

When I saw him, it was only him playing and he was just awesome. This song I remember as it was just damn catchy.

I have a couple of his EPs which were really good but I don’t know what happened to him. I think he changed his name and went more down the straight grime sound.

A quick google and it seems he was still going as “Jovel” until a year ago. And still doing refixes.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho It’s always interesting to have that one person who you’ve seen and were brilliant live but nobody else has seemingly heard of them. I’ve seen loads of support acts for bands who were really quite great but unfortunately I have no idea what they’re called.

I listened to Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur. It’s alright. I love the more psychedelic songs like Miss America but the album does tend to drag a bit.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Yeah, I used to go to a LOT of gigs when I was at uni in London and came across some great bands as support acts or at some of the free shows I used to go to.

There was a great place in Notting Hill that used to do free gigs every week with a good array of bands. I think Pulled Apart By Horses were probably the ones that went on to be most well known.

As for Blur, I never really got into them. I think I own 13 which was a present when I was young and then only have Think Tank. Both have a heavy input from Graham Coxon so are a bit more out there. I find it a little funny that he had that influence on the band when his solo stuff was so pop punky.

To bring the post full circle, I saw him live in London and he really is a great guitarist.

Thrillho

render

@nessisonett @Thrillho When I was at school it seemed to be that people fit into one of two camps, those that liked Blur and those that liked Oasis. As I didn't really appreciate Oasis I guess you'd say I was in the Blur camp even though they weren't really someone I'd generally listen to anyway. Eventually I got into them a bit around the 13 and Think Tank albums so said I'd go and watch them with a mate.

While they were enjoyable to watch as a band they must have played 3 - 4 tracks that we knew, the rest being some heavier stuff from earlier albums that we didn't really know, so felt a bit deflated by that.

render

nessisonett

@Thrillho @render See, I have the benefit of hindsight which means I fall firmly in the ‘Pulp are better than both Oasis and Blur’ category! I probably prefer the Welsh scene at that time as a whole though, they had a brilliant group of bands around.

render

@Thrillho @nessisonett You are lucky to realise that now as I wish I had at the time. My mates girlfriend and some of her friends were very much into Pulp so they were a band that we listened to but just didn't appreciate until we were much older.

render

Thrillho

@nessisonett @render @johncalmc I very nearly posted “at least you’re not one of the people who says Pulp when asked whether you prefer Blur or Oasis” earlier.

I did love Oasis at the time though. I still think Slide Away from the first album is a really underrated song of theirs.

My wife wanted to watch that film “Yesterday” recently about the guy waking up in a world where the Beatles don’t exist and I did like the dig at Oasis as they no longer existed either..

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer What have you been listening to recently? I've mostly been sticking to my jazz guitar heroes - John Scofield and John Abercrombie. I played at a jazz jam last weekend and was trying to channel their abilities, playing at another one soon and I hope to continue to develop my skills, jazz can be a life-long obsession, despite what I said about returning to rock, jazz has captured my heart and playing in the novice rather than the intermediate group this time around has designated less significance to theory-based playing and more of an emphasis on feel and improvisation, which I feel is all jazz should really be about, how is your own piano playing going?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I think you’ve nailed what music is really about there! It’s awesome that you’re getting out and about, playing music. There’s nothing like a live setting, where the resonance literally flows through the body.

I’ve actually been sinking quite a few hours into both filmmaking and recording music again. Been bit by the bug so to speak, so I’ve been going out of my way to make more time for it.

I’m currently listening to ‘Gold Lion’ by Yeah Yeah Yeah’s from ‘Show Your Bones’. Pretty cool song, curious to see how the rest of the album plays out.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer How did the rest of 'Show Your Bones' by the Yeah Yeah Yeah's play out? I quite liked Maps by them, back in the day. Do you know that song, also? What are you listening to over the weekend? @render @nessisonett t What music have you been listening to recently?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve been listening to Richard Hawley. He’s basically what ‘easy listening’ should actually be. Good stuff.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah it was pretty decent. I really liked ‘Phenomena’ as well, and ‘Maps’ for that matter. Haven’t listened to much of anything today. How about you?

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Listening to Standing at the Sky's Edge now. Captivating thus far. When you say it's what easy listening music should actually be like, though, isn't it a bit too rocky for that?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman That album specifically is quite rocky yeah but albums like Coles Corner, Lady’s Bridge and his self-titled album are more what I was referring to.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I actually thought that was pretty darn groovy for jazz! I’ll be listening to that one again, thanks!

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer The whole album's pretty cool, so if you liked that go ahead and feel free to explore the rest of 'Barefoot Boy' by Larry Coryell.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic