Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,741 to 8,760 of 8,896

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Oooh, I want! Currently penny-pinching to save up for a Scotland road-trip this summer, otherwise I would already have bought it. Let me know what you think when you've put it through its paces?

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I will indeed. So pleased that the Arnie/John Milius commentary track from the old release has been ported over. One of the all time greats.

LN78

RR529

Went to see the Beekeeper at the theatre over the weekend.

Sweet old lady commits suicide after being scammed out of her life savings by an internet hacking group, Jason Statham plays her quiet "keeps to himself" beekeeping neighbor who is really a retired secret agent/assassin who proceeds to seek out & violently murder the group behind the hack, and then proceeds to work his way up the organization to the elites who profited from the scam (who of course hire all sorts of muscle to try & take him down). Really fun, at times brutal, stuff.

Other films I watched over the weekend:

the Cheerleaders (Tubi) - Raunchy comedy from the early 70's that focuses on a group of high school cheerleaders going about their lives. It had a couple of slightly amusing moments, but overall it was very light on the comedy & very heavy on the raunch (like a big middle finger to the Hay's Code, it seemed like whatever little narrative it had was just in service to get to the next vignett involving nudity, of which was nearly constant).

the Other Guys (Blu-Ray) - Thrifting pick up. Will Ferrell & Mark Whalburg Star as the zeroes to heroes in this wacky buddy cop comedy. Had me cracking up on numerous occasions, however I felt it ran on a bit too long for what it was (though that was partially down to me watching the extended "unrated" cut, which didn't seem to add all that much "unrated" content. No nudity or gore, for example).

Road House (Blu-Ray) - Thrifting pick up. Patrick Swayze plays the most elite bouncer in the country who's hired to turn around a failing Midwestern bar, runs afoul of the local mob boss (who has the authorities in his pocket), and proceeds to clean up the entire town with his fists. Super 80's, and super fun.

Sushi Girl (Blu-Ray) Thrifting blind buy. After a con gets out of prison, his partners in crime throw him a welcome back "party" (that he can't refuse) with an expensive exotic sushi meal (refer to the title), and the group bickers & turns against each other as they try to figure out what happened to the misplaced diamonds they stole on their last job together (with the titular "Sushi Girl" having to keep her composure as the group starts torturing each other, in very brutal fashion). A little different than what I usually watch, but worth the buy (has a huge twist that absolutely won't hit the same on future watches though).

the Wolfman (Blu-Ray) - Thrifting pick up. Made somewhat recently (has Benecio Del Toro in it), it's an 1890's England set werewolf tale. This one was a blind buy as well, but I ended up liking it well enough (some absolutely brutal kills). Watched the uncut extended edition.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jimmer-jammer

As if the wait for Dune Part 2 wasn’t long enough, the incoming reviews aren’t making that wait any easier!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

FuriousMachine

@Jimmer-jammer I know! I was asleep at the wheel when they released the first batch of tickets in my city, so the earliest screening I got tickets to was March 7th... that's, like, eons away!

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Just read over at CBR.com that while Disney is getting out of the business of putting out physical media, Disney movies will still release on physical through a deal with Sony. According to CBR, Sony will "manufacture, distribute, and market DVDs, Blu-rays, and other physical media of Disney-owned releases".
They had me worried there for a while.

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine The good news is that Sony 4K blu-rays are consistently excellent even as Sony movies are consistently terrible.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Yeah, it's been my impression that the Sony releases I have are generally solid releases (though they seem light on commentaries, but that may just be my sampling for all I know).

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I was referring more to the audio/video quality - Sony releases always tend to be top notch in those departments.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@FuriousMachine @LN78 Yep this is good news, as Sony have a good track record with 4k Blu Ray releases. Sony has apparently some of the best quality encoding software out there. So yeah, thumbs up from me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

@FuriousMachine I snagged two tickets for a 10:30pm IMAX showing on the 2nd. Gonna be a late one, and a two hour drive to get there but if it lives up to the first one, which is a minor masterpiece in my humble opinion, it’ll be totally worth it. 😄 Hope your showing goes well!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

XandertheWise

busy with these movies this weekend

Freddy vs Jason
Doctor Strange Multiverse
The Eternals
The Marvels
Short Circuit 1 and 2 on Tubi

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

I'm not one who goes for steelbook editions in general, but the one for The Crow 30th Anniversary 4K sure does look good.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@Jimmer-jammer Likewise! I agree, Villeneuve's Dune is an excellent piece of cinema, and it's definitely worth going to some length to catch the sequel on the best screen possible. My screening is in the middle of the day, so I'll have to take time off work to see it
(I will try to swap it for a ticket for the following weekend once they become available, but I'll happily take time off if I need to)

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine @Jimmer-jammer hoping to see part 2 at the weekend. I watched part 1 yesterday and it's as excellent as I remember.
I also didn't have to keep wondering why my nephew kept getting up to go to the toilet. (Checking football scores as I later found out 🤬).

MightyDemon82

Jimmer-jammer

@MightyDemon82 @FuriousMachine Yeah, I’ll be watching the first again this week too. Read through the book again recently as well so I’m feeling ready! I’m just so glad to see an epic like Dune being properly adapted within the film medium. Appetites seem to be more tuned towards tv and miniseries these days, especially for grand stories like this. I get why but there is a certain magic to the art of film that is absent from a more serial approach.

Upon another read, it really hit me just how influential Dune has been. Even the recent Final Fantasy XVI came to mind as Ultima’s Mythos in so many ways mirrors the Bene Gesserit’s pursuit of the Kwisatz Haderach.

HallowMoonshadow

I ended up watching Puss In Boots: The Last Wish over the weekend.

I was surprised at how good it was. Like... Genuinely really good with some beautiful animation at times aping the Miles Spiderman films.

Dreamworks films are all over the place in terms in quality but it's easily one of their top films (Granted I haven't seen the Train your dragon films which are supposed to be really good too).

Doesn't top Shrek 2 or Kung-Fu Panda 2 for me but considering the first PIB film is average at best it's a dramatically improved sequel.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LN78

@HallowMoonshadow I completely agree with you - probably my second favourite animated movie of 2022 (after Del Toro's "Pinocchio") and a definite contender for the "most improved sequel of all time" award.

LN78

LtSarge

Finished watching Wonder Woman 1984. That was quite possibly the worst superhero movie I've ever watched. Nothing happens in the first hour and once you get to the battles, they are severely underwhelming. It's like I was watching a drama, not an action movie. What the hell were the movie makers thinking?

LtSarge

LN78

The new Criterion 4K releaee of "Lone Star", John Sayles' modern Western crime drama - in the same boathouse as "No Country For Old Men" , "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" and "Hell or High Water". A low key, quietly subversive masterpiece.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic