Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,941 to 6,960 of 8,935

RR529

Big Bad Mama (Tubi) - An impoverished mother & her two teen daughters get deeper & deeper into crime trying to make ends meet during the depression. Decent enough criminals on the run type film, that features William Shatner & lots of boobs because it's a 70's film.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge I will always remember watching the director cuts of the first two movies back to back directly before the theatrical cut of the third film. That was almost 9 hours in the cinema. Suffice to say I did not go to the cinema for ages after that lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I didn't know that the Extended Cuts ever got released into cinemas. I missed a trick there - I've only ever seen them on home media. I don't think I've watched the theatrical versions since I saw them on their initial releases even though they're included in all the boxsets.

LN78

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Wow, that's very impressive. I can't even watch one movie in one go, let alone three lol.

LtSarge

XandertheWise

Tubi movie weekend for me

Runaway
the new 2 animated Mortal Kombat Legends movies
Mr Mom

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah it was when I was living in Cardiff, and around about that time they started putting on trilogies of films. From memory they showed the OG Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Godfather. They showed a fair few more but forget which ones now.

@LtSarge There were breaks in between movies, but yeah it was a bit of a slog. I defo couldn't do anything like that these days!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder That sounds great! I'm quite fortunate that over the years I've managed to see most of my favourite movies on the big screen thanks to re-releases and film festivals. There are a few exceptions though, like the aforementioned "LotR" Special Editions, a few of the James Bond flicks and the "Alien" series. In my student days I did attend more than one 24 hour movie marathon (usually horror themed at Halloween) but I seriously doubt if I could manage such a feat these days - my energy levels aren't what they once were!
PS Just found out that there is a 40th Anniversary screening of "Star Trek 2" in town tomorrow night! Very tempting.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RR529

Samaritan (Prime Video) - Sylvester Stallone plays a washed up retired superhero (believed to be dead by the public after the climactic battle with his arch nemesis/brother) who winds up becoming a mentor figure of sorts to a neighborhood kid & has to come out of hiding after the kid falls in with the wrong crowd.

I saw the big twist coming a mile away, but I thought it was a pretty good watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 You seen this?

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I'll take the IMAX, you can keep the 3D. ("JAWS" is an all timer for me - a top to bottom classic).

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Ralizah

I was tempted to see E.T. when it returned to the theaters a few weeks back. Ultimately opted against it, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@RR529 I've likewise heard semi-decent things about that Stallone flick. I'm gonna be cancelling my Amazon Prime towards the end of the year, so I'm grateful for the additional endorsement, as I'll add it to my (admittedly very short) shortlist of things to watch before I do so. Cheers!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once the other day. Quite an odd film, but still rather marvellous, with some extremely intricate editing. Michelle Yeoh is absolutely wonderful, and Jamie Lee Curtis is quite the comic actress.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

sorteddan

@mookysam
Enjoyed the film.
Didnt enjoy the hot-dog fingers.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

nessisonett

Watched Copland, a decent-ish movie with an incredible cast. Basically a mafia movie except with police.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I remember see one of the Jaws films in 3D at the cinema. Can't remember which one as it was probably about 20 years ago. Might have been the third one as I do remember the film not being that great.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder It will have been the third one. And "not that great" is being too kind. @nessisonett I really like that movie (although I had it pegged more as a neo-Western than a mob picture) - and it has one of the greatest ever moments from the Robert De Niro repeat everything, repeat everything school of acting.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 I can see that. Definitely elements of westerns, noir movies and the like. It was more the setup of the corrupt police officers and their connections across the mayor’s office and other departments that made me think of the mob. Plus De Niro and Harvey Keitel help!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

@RogerRoger, yeah, I wasn't even planning on watching it but my father queued it up and although he usually watches movies by the time I'm starting to get ready for bed I didn't have to work the next day so I stayed up & watched it with him.

Between 1917, Swamp Thing, Lupin the 3rd: Goemon's Bloodspray, the Return of Swamp Thing, Ghost in the Shell Arise 3 & 4, National Lampoon's Movie Madness, Deadpool 2, Big Bad Mama, & Samaritan I made my way through quite a few movies over the long Labor Day weekend.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LN78

Just saw the Director's Cut of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" on the big screen - a 40th Anniversary special presentation at my local multiplex. It may not be the most "Star Trek" of the "Star Trek" movies - owing as much to naval submarine dramas like "Run Silent,Run Deep" as it does to the original TV series - but it's a bloody good sci-fi adventure film, crammed with pop culture touchstones, career best performances (Montalban got all the plaudits as the titular villain but Shatner is equally good) and the greatest climactic death scene since "Hamlet". I'm really glad I went - the film has aging as a (non too subtle) thematic underpinning and seemed all the richer on this viewing (the first in a decade or so) as I find myself getting up there in years.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic