Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,561 to 6,580 of 8,930

LN78

@nessisonett I take it you've seen the Quentin Tarantino monologue about "Top Gun" from the movie "Sleep With Me"? If not then look it up (I'd post it here but it's definitely NSFW) because it's quite the thing, so to speak.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Well I have now! And I agree 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

Saw Top Gun Maverick at the cinema last night.

I don't have any specific attachment to the original film, but I thought this one was really good. I think it helps that while it is a reboot, it feels like one that they (or at least Cruise) really wanted to do rather than just being a cash in (it ends in a way that it ties up character relationships/drama left over from the first film really well).

Of course the action in the sky was the real draw for me & it didn't disappoint. There was plenty of it, brilliantly filmed, with the climax being one of the most excitingly tense showdowns I've seen in a while. The last act of the movie really feels like they commited an Ace Combat game to film, which is really impressive given the sheer amount of physical stunt work on display.

Seemed to be a real crowd pleaser for the relatively largish audience in attendance, too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SoulChimera

@RR529 Yeah, I went to the IMAX yesterday. What a film. The moment the first beat from the TR-808 with the bells for Harold Faltermeyer's track hit, goose bumps.

Can't recommend Top Gun: Maverick enough.

SoulChimera

RR529

Just finished up watching The Wolverine in my journey through all the X-Men films. I'd seen it before, though I actually think I enjoyed it more the second time (I think I may have been slightly unnecessarily confused by the separate factions the first time). I really appreciated the fight on top of the bullet train in a way I hadn't before, and it was the first time I watched a film on Blu Ray in awhile & I forgot how good the picture quality could be that way.

@SoulChimera, I'll bet that was something. I've never been to an IMAX, though I think my brother wants to see Avatar: the Way of Water at a more premium screen, so I'll probably have a chance then.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LN78

@RR529 It doesn't hurt the movie at all that Tao Okamoto (who plays Mariko) is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@RR529 @SoulChimera My desire to see films at the cinema was already pretty much gone before Covid came along and didn't really think I'd ever probably bother again. The trailers and reception for Top Gun Maverick has certainly made consider experiencing it on a big screen.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Ralizah

I'm not usually very impressed by these Marvel films, but I really dug Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Granted, there's an inherent structural weakness in making it a direct sequel to a Disney Plus series, but the end result works out really well. The Scarlet Witch is a fantastic and frightening villain, and it really helps that they spent so much time chronicling her moral and psychological breakdown in previous films and series. I'm happy they pulled in Sam Raimi, because he does a great job of drawing from his previous horror work for this film: Multiverse of Madness feels closer to something like The Evil Dead than it does Spider-Man.

I will say, though, the power levels involved in these conflicts do make previous ones feel... small. Characters are literally tearing through different universes, punching holes through dimensions, etc.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Ralizah Between "Dr.Strange" and "Stranger Things" you've been on something of a multidimensional binge. Was this intentional?

LN78

SoulChimera

@RR529 @BearsEatBeets I’m very lucky, I have 2 really nice IMAX cinemas less than 15 minutes from me so I go as often as I can.

If you have the opportunity, definitely go. The sounds blew my head off. I liked it that much, I think I’m actually going to go again.

SoulChimera

Ralizah

@LN78 Only because both released in close proximity to one-another. The multiversal/multidimensional side of sci-fi/horror seems to be popular lately.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Ralizah I see. I recall you saying that you were sick to death of it!

LN78

LN78

Cannon Films Masterclass Part 2: The Revenge.
Untitled

LN78

XandertheWise

watched Transylvania 6-5000 on Tubi earlier today.

later tonight or tomorrow this weekend Im planning on watching Subspecies 1 and 2 on Tubi and i noticed Rawhead Rex is on Tubi.

XandertheWise

LN78

With sincerest apologies to Mr.Bronson, "Death Wish 3" has been supplanted at the top of my ranking of the Cannon Films oeuvre by "Ninja 3: The Domination" - threequels seem to be doing particularly well so far for some reason. Despite its title this has nothing whatsoever (poorly dubbed black clad martial artists aside) to do with the other films in this tenuous trilogy ("Enter the Ninja" and "Revenge of the Ninja") and instead concerns itself with the adventures of an all American aerobics instructor (the "Flashdance" is strong with this one) possessed ("The Exorcist" is strong with this one) by the spirit of a fallen Ninja master. It's exactly as bat**** as it sounds and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RR529

I watched King Kong (1976) on Pluto TV this morning.

Don't think I've seen this version before. Definitely feels like a proto version of a modern blockbuster at times, albeit still a bit B-movie in others. A bit slow to get going, although it picks up near the end. Kong gives Dwan (the kidnapped woman) these absolutely goofy grins from time to time that are unintentionally (?) funny which I thought was amusing, and being the 70's, they seemed to push showing as much of her skin as possible while still being a "PG" film (thought I even noticed a blink & you'll miss it nudity shot).

Interesting curiosity of the time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 @BearsEatBeets Good news guys, my 4K Blu-ray of The Thing was fine. The UHD really brought the blood out in some scenes. 😬 Actually made an interesting watch after season 4 of Stranger Things.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic