Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,521 to 5,540 of 8,930

JohnnyShoulder

Can't wait for this. Been topping up my Amazon account each month so will have paid for this by the time it is out next month.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Diamonds Are Forever. Imagine going on a drug-fuelled bender in the desert. Then imagine what that does to your bowels. This is the result of those bowel movements.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Sweet. If I didn't already have the super-fancy collector's edition of the Blu-Rays, I'd consider the upgrade, for sure. Here's hoping it's a good 4K transfer!

@nessisonett

Untitled

She's about the only thing I liked in the movie, by the way. Nowhere near the best leading lady, and very dated in some parts, but she had moments of attitude.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I had the collection on DVD, which did not have Crystal Skulls. Some may argue that was the better collection for it.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@RogerRoger It’s a dark day when Mr Wint and Mr Kidd are my highlights.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Just wait 'til we get Disney's new Indiana Jones 5, and everybody rushes back to reappraise Crystal Skull as a timeless classic. It's how these cycles work!

@nessisonett Like everything, they had one or two good moments outweighed by six or seven cringe-worthy disasters. I did chuckle at the delicious moment they were shown photographing the dead schoolteacher "for the children" but mostly, they just made my skin crawl. Charles Grey was the perfect Blofeld for the film, though. Hammy and droll in perfect balance.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I mostly spent every scene thinking ‘wow, he really does look like he’d be Crispin Glover’s dad’.

TheFrenchiestFry

I've only ever watched the 1961 film and haven't seen any of the stage versions of the play but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this squarely because of the cinematography

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Black_Swordsman

@Jecht_Ultima *Scorpion and Sub-Zero/Reptile scene - I forget which exactly "HEy! GERT OVA HEYUAH!" great fun. Then that other character with the eyepatch "Muah. Allo baby" Rofl.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

I have watched all three Taken movies today. Feels like doing so cost me twenty I.Q. points, which is worrying as I only had eighteen to begin with (clearly, otherwise I wouldn't have decided to watch all three Taken movies in a single day). Somewhere out there, there's one last Eastern European chap who hasn't been throat-punched by Liam Neeson yet. He must be freakin' terrified.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Worth it just for this scene

Untitled

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Undoubtedly the highlight of the trilogy. Although I will give credit where its due, Taken 3 did not deserve its orchestral score.

Otherwise yeah, I think I'm all Neeson'd out for now. I mean, the man's practically become his own genre at this point, but such status blends his films together if you watch them in close proximity. Imagine if every separate camera angle in that GIF represents one of his movies; you put 'em all together, and you're still just watching him climb over a fence.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

A few interesting bits have leaked from The Batman, including a radically different look for The Riddler. I can see some people not liking this version, but I think it suits the tone of this movie perfectly. I can't shake this feeling that there is a massive red herring in the film somewhere, a bit like what happened with Iron Man 3. Of course, this is not literally a red herring, unless there is a Batman baddie if missed over the years.

HallowMoonshadow

I wasn't expecting a Jim Carrey campy style Riddler suit @JohnnyShoulder... But I wasn't expecting him to look like some S&M gimp either! What a terrible looking costume! Gimme the green spandex and question marks!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah it is a very different Riddler from what we are used to by looks of things @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy, and almost seems to like a serial killer in the movie. Just can't wait to see Dano in the role.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah I certainly get what they're going for with it (Which of itself isn't a bad direction at all)... I just don't like what they've done with the costume in the slightest @JohnnyShoulder 😅

Don't recognise the actor who's gonna be playing them either!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

The first Taken was fine for the time if you accepted it for the xenophobic, B-movie schlock it was. It really did an amazing job launching Liam Neeson's stint as an action hero, and popularizing the grizzled elderly action hero model overall.

Watched a few films lately.

Escape From New York - First time seeing this! Rather visionary for 1981 purely on a visual level. I can certainly see how its grimy, atmospheric Manhattan Island prison complex must have influenced the look of future dystopic and cyberpunk films. And the influence of Russell's Snake Plissken persona is obvious, although he comes off less as tough here and more as a cartoon. Only a few actors have been able to pull off tough guy roles and make them actually intimidating. Clint Eastwood, for example, sells his tough guy roles completely, and that's probably because the dude looks hard as diamonds naturally. Also, the movie's plot and characters are largely forgettable, and the action is a bit lame (although this was before the Action Movie became a standardized thing, I believe). If nothing else, it was a decent watch, and SO much better than Carpenter's sleep-inducing Assault on Precinct 13, but he made only one masterpiece, and that was Halloween.

Backdraft - Again, the special effects are the highlight here, with truly brilliant and frightening depictions of fire. This saga about firefighters is about 30 minutes longer than it needed to be, and the various storylines don't integrate as well as they could have. Pacino's performance as an investigator trying to get inside the head of the arsonist was pretty decent, though. Definitely worth watching, but not a classic, by any means. Kurt Russell was in this as well in a fairly major role.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - OK, unpopular opinion: I like the second film in this series a lot more than the third one. Nightmare 2 pretty much doesn't connect to the original film at all and feels like a reboot, but it does a decent job of trying to maintain the 'scariness' of the Freddy character, which it accomplishes somewhat by changing his relationship with the main character to one of possession and body horror. I thought people were probably exaggerating when they called this the "gayest horror film ever made," but... ah... they weren't. The only way this film could get any more obviously gay is if the dudes in the cast all got together and, well, you know. The main character gets hit on by his gym coach in a leather bar, for god's sake. One of the deaths involves shower room bondage. The main character goes crawling to his hunky best friend's room to sleep in order to feel safe. Even the body horror element is extremely homoerotic. So I'm not surprised audiences at the time felt uncomfortable with it, but I really think it's one of those old movies due a re-evaluation.

Dream Warriors is an old favorite for fans of the franchise. A lot of people think it's better than the original. But it's... not. I mean, it's certainly a mostly fun watch, and it's interesting how it re-contextualizes the mythology of the Nightmare universe as more of a dark fantasy, but the individual elements of the plot really didn't come together well for me at all. And, personally, I'm not a fan of the 'jokier' Freddy it introduced, although he still has a bit of menace to him. There are too many characters here for the film to make us care about any of them, IMO. A bit part of what brings this entry down for me is this weird fixation on destroying Freddy's remains, and hunting them down. And the rather lame origin story they give him. Freddy shouldn't have an origin story. All we needed to know about his past we learned in the original film, which still preserved plenty of his mystery. But the longer these horror franchises go on, the hungrier they are for original ideas, and they inevitably latch on to the idea of exploring the beginnings of the evil character they're centered around. With that said, while I like Dream Warriors less than a lot of people do, it was still superior as far as horror movie sequels tend to go. All of the first three Nightmare films feel like unique experiences and bring something new to the table.

That trend is broken, unfortunately, with Dream Master, which is a direct sequel to Dream Warriors and the first bad sequel in the series. Granted, it's better than your average Halloween or Friday the 13th sequel, but it's just an inferior retread of Dream Warriors and captures none of that film's unique energy. The performances are listless, the deaths are mostly boring, and the plot is mediocre. There's an element of time manipulation that was clearly intended to be an aspect of it originally, but all that's left of that is a rather confused and annoying looping sequence that keeps the main characters from saving one of Freddy's victim. This time looping, as far as I can tell, is never explained, so it just feels like a cheap narrative device instead.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

(which reminds me, I need to grab Zack Snyder's Justice League at some point)

@RogerRoger Out on Monday to rent and buy, at a more reasonable price as you've been able to rent it from Google Play and other services for about 15 quid for a bit now.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Really like the Riddler look, it fits with the setting. We got camp Riddler in Forever and that fit with the setting at the time. Quite like the costume although it could do with just a little colour.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah exactly, it is just a different take. I liked Jim Carrey's Riddler but I'm probably a bit biased as I'm a big Carrey fan.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic