Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,241 to 4,260 of 8,935

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry In fairness, there's an established trend of classic Western films adapting storylines from historical samurai films, and, to a lesser extent, visa versa, like The Magnificent Seven westernizing The Seven Samurai, or that Japanese samurai remake of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

But, even in that light, turning a Mel Brooks satire into a cartoon about samurai cats is still very random.

Obligatory reference to Samurai Pizza Cats 😂

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I immediately saw that as the reasoning too. It’s still an awful idea imo 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Remaking a classic Mel Brooks film that deals with subject matter that's practically nuclear-grade in this social climate as a milquetoast CG cartoon about samurai cats and dogs? Yes, that's both poorly judged and very deeply weird.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’ve seen a lot of MAGA types using Blazing Saddles as a sorta ‘what will you censor next’ argument but I never really understood it. It’s a pretty progressive movie in its themes and makes the racists seem laughable in comparison to the sheriff, who’s a generally great guy and deals well with the awful conditions he inherits. While it might be somewhat wobbly in its execution through today’s eyes, its core message is one of “why the f*ck would you be racist” and one that stands the test of time. Also worth noting that the black sheriff is also the main character, if it was a mainstream Hollywood movie then it would follow a white family who are the only kind family in town and how the father reconnects with his son by making a very nice black friend, who happens to be the sheriff. Yes, I’m looking at you, Green Book, Driving Miss Daisy and Intouchables.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Yeah but at least when Magnificent Seven was made they kept the general theming and structure of Seven Samurai but recontextualized it in a Western setting, which is what makes it an apt way to adapt a specific story to suit a Western audience

There's like next to no correlation between a satirical black comedy Western film and an animated comedy for kids about dogs and cats being samurai

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

RogerRoger

LN78 wrote:

I'll definitely give it a look the next time I have an active "Prime" account. Is "Lower Decks" on there soon?

@LN78 There's been no official word about Lower Decks outside of the States, alas, but I assume it'll wind up on either Prime or Netflix before the year is out. The third season of Discovery is apparently starting soon, so whether that'll continue on Netflix or jump elsewhere remains to be seen.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I’ve decided to embark on the impossibly long task of attempting to watch every movie in the National Film Registry. Some will take 5 seconds such as one about a guy sneezing but some will take many, many hours. First on the list is 12 Angry Men so at least I’m starting with a goodie!

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett 12 Angry Men is such an impossible kind of film that shouldn't have worked in concept but Sidney Lumet managed to make a film so engaging while taking place in the exact same room for the entire duration

We don't even know the names of the large majority of the Jurors and they're completely fleshed out and immaculately acted

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's interesting to note that, circa 2017, Brooks didn't think he'd be able to make a film like Blazing Saddles today. I imagine that is even truer in the current political climate.

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/mel-brooks-blazing-saddles...

also...

nessisonett wrote:

I’ve decided to embark on the impossibly long task of attempting to watch every movie in the National Film Registry. Some will take 5 seconds such as one about a guy sneezing but some will take many, many hours. First on the list is 12 Angry Men so at least I’m starting with a goodie!

...what?

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Fred Ott’s Sneeze is apparently a 5 second movie from 1894 of one of Edison’s assistants taking some snuff and sneezing. It has a score of 5.4 on IMDB.

nessisonett

@Ralizah None of that ‘subverting expectations’, eh?

Th3solution

@Ralizah @nessisonett 5.4 is quite generous for that. I can find depth and symbolic meaning in nearly any form of video or literary entertainment, but this.... I got nothing.
Definitely needed more character development.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah @nessisonett It went on far too long for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @nessisonett I can't wait for the big-budget Hollywood remake, starring Mark Wahlberg as a struggling single parent with a sneezing compulsion triggered by an incident in his troubled past. The highlight of the picture is obviously the shot-for-shot recreation of the sneeze itself which, in a tense moment, looks as though it might happen as Mark is hiding from terrorists during a siege at the White House. Will he be able to overcome his demons, stifle his sneeze and prevent his daughter (and the President) being kidnapped? Will the lensflare subside enough for us to be able to tell?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I was a bit sick of how connected it was to all the other films in the same universe like 'Man Coughing' and 'Man Scratching Rash'.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

I've heard tell of a "Johnson Cut" where the man doesn't sneeze at all after using the snuff, but yawns instead. Critics at the time found it to be a refreshing change of pace from the fan-pleasing but predictable "man using snuff and then sneezing" genre, and were delighted by how the director played with the expectations of the genre. Hardcore sneeze-film enthusiasts were enraged, however. It's currently considered lost.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic