Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,221 to 4,240 of 8,935

TheFrenchiestFry

@JohnnyShoulder Crisis on Infinite Earths from the Arrowverse is based on the original comic event but generally when there's a major catclysmic event in DC Comics that usually results in the resettting of the entire multiverse/a way for the comics to start fresh with continuity, those events are collectively referred to as Crisis events, in reference to the first one being Crisis on Infinite Earths

the other ones are Zero Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, Convergence (the worst one) and the most recent one being Dark Nights: Metal/Death Metal

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Great drinking game!

Liked pretty much all of Nolan's films except for Interstellar. Just found it a bit boring and then when he was throwing books from the shelf I almost burst into laughter.

@nessisonett This is slowly becoming an unofficial Toby Kebbel fan page.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett If those same reports about Keaton's casting are to be believed then it looks like they're doing a multiverse setup specific to DC's various movie continuities, with Keaton's Batman being the exact same one from the two Burton films, while completely ignoring Forever and Batman & Robin.

Also very unpopular opinion but I just could never get BvS to click with me but even if Justice League is a complete mess in terms of both being a standalone story, and being in the same continuity as Superjesus and Death by Crates Batman, I could tell that a good movie was trying to get out somewhere in there. A specific scene I actually really liked was when Batman was telling the Flash to save at least one person when he says he's used to running into and pushing bad guys over.

TheFrenchiestFry

Gremio108

@nessisonett @LN78 @JohnnyShoulder Six Degrees of Toby Kebbell could be a winner. Like a sort of hard mode version of the Kevin Bacon one.

While we're on Christopher Nolan, I'm just going to drop in a quick mention for The Prestige. One of my favourite films.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I wouldn’t blame anyone for not enjoying BvS, it took me a long time to get past the clear nonsense and appreciate what it does OK. Justice League was just plain messy, the jokes were completely at odds with the rest of the movie and were corny, Cyborg was woefully misused (hearing more about Whedon, don’t have to guess why) and the villain was just plain strange. Add a generic MacGuffin plot and it just about qualified as a movie. It is a movie. It has that going for it at least. There were moments that almost felt like it would be interesting though, I’m hoping the Snyder Cut sorts some of it because it’ll also be under less studio scrutiny.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Honestly even if the Snyder Cut ends up being better than the theatrically released product, I don't expect Steppenwolf to be any more developed. Even in the comics the only thing that was really that interesting about him came from his relation to Darkseid, who was a much more compelling villain to begin with. Cyborg got screwed hard based on all the origin stuff being cut from the final film and my problem wasn't really just that the jokes didn't land, but for what Snyder tried to set up with these characters, the jokes that Whedon writes just don't work with them the same way they did with the MCU cast. Like I'm happy Superman was acting more along the lines of what I expected from the character to begin with but that wasn't what Snyder intended. It was too obvious that Whedon was basically putting his fingerprints all over that cut of the film, and it even might be in part due to corporate tampering as a result of the financial and critical response to BvS

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Day 1085 of begging Universal to make up with Marvel so we can finally get a really good Hulk film and tie up that loose end with Leader

TheFrenchiestFry

RogerRoger

As somebody who reckons the Ultimate Edition cut of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice is one of the best superhero films ever made, but also as somebody who really enjoyed Justice League for what it was, I'm tentatively curious about the Snyder Cut. Don't get me wrong, I think WB should've backed off at the time, and let Snyder release the film he intended to release, but... I don't know, given how quickly the concept of the DCEU was dropped, and how everybody seems to have moved on to standalone films now, I'm nervous that seeing the Snyder Cut is just gonna make everybody feel bad.

Recently, I've been picking films to watch based on actors I like, or am curious to see more of. Searching for a certain name on Prime and then scrolling through their body of work has been a new and interesting way to broaden my palate via a few familiar faces. It's been fun.

But yesterday, this approach led to a weird coincidence, whereby I ended up watching two films with very similar subject matter, but which were executed totally differently from one another. A search for Scott Bakula led me to The Informant! which stars Matt Damon, and is based on the true story of lysine price-fixing in the mid-90s. After suffering through its obnoxiously offbeat, unsatisfying runtime, I returned to my watchlist and randomly selected Shattered Glass which, again, turned out to be based on another mid-90s true story, this time concerning Stephen Glass and his articles for The New Republic. It was riveting, brilliantly executed and with flawless performances from Hayden Christensen (the reason I found it), Peter Sarsgaard and Hank Azaria. It had much more nuance going for it, and had me hooked despite knowing how the real-life story it was based on panned out.

Not to give anything away, but both of these films dealt with situations and central characters that shared similarities way beyond their period setting. The fact that I was totally gripped by the second, coming fresh from the first, was a stark illustration of how execution is everything. I can't recommend The Informant! to anybody except the most ardent of Matt Damon fans, whereas I'd highly recommend Shattered Glass to anybody, full stop, because it's just a really decent film.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Well, at least (by your own admission) I've just demonstrated that I'm capable of getting it right some of the time. Shattered Glass is "free" on Amazon Prime right now and, since it never got a Blu-Ray release, it's the best quality version you're ever likely to get.

Did you not see me praise Knives Out a few pages back? Seem to recall you liking that one.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

@LN78 Shattered Glass was like the only time Hayden Christensen wasn't stuck acting off a script that wasn't complete garbage.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@LN78 Literally every film Christensen did post-Star Wars looked like a cheap direct-to-video action film

Jumper was woefully generic and unexciting and he was really bad in it

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I've been burnt by Zaavi too many times in the past, they continually sell stuff which is out of stock. So I only use Amazon and HMV for my 4k blu rays these days.

Flash G sounds good, I looked on Amazon last week and it wasn't available until later in the month.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

Just going to drop this in here. This film came out in 2018.
Untitled

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Does she not know he turns into Darth Vader?

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah used to buy stuff off them all the time, but the last few times it's always been out of stock after I've placed the order and then weeks before back in stock.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 That's what I went for the 2 for 30 quid deal, but both films were out of stock. So I went on the HMV site who had a similar deal and at least they are clear when stuff is out of stock so I know not to buy them in the first place.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Only with work on a video call. No not heard of them in regards to being an online retailer, but like you am cautious about who I shop with online, especially since I had about 300 quid stolen from my bank account a few years back. Unless they accept PayPal I don't register with any sites.

nessisonett

This has to be an Onion article. It has to be. On a serious note, do they really think reducing a story about a black sheriff overcoming racism to a f*cking animated movie about cats and dogs is a good idea? In this day and age? I’m pretty sure the treatment of African-Americans in the late 19th century is somewhat more complex than “haha, cats and dogs don’t get on because they’re different species”. Oh man, this one is horrific. Almost as backhandedly terrible as Ocean’s 8, where they apparently couldn’t even find 11 actresses.

Edited on by nessisonett

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic