Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 4,747

JohnnyShoulder

Lion King 2019. Technically stunning to experience with a great voice cast. Seth Rogen as Pumbaa is ace but I thought Danny Glover was weak as older Simba. The big problem is the animals are all photo realistic, it all looks a bit odd as there is little facial animation. I'm not sure how Disney rectifies this going forward. This is a particular problem with the musical numbers and most of them feel a bit flat. I still enjoyed watching it, but as with Aladdin (which i have more an affinity with) the original is just so much better, with a lot more soul and charm.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

Rambo: Last Blood (DVD) - Watched this with the family last night.

After seemingly finally settling down, living his days out at a scenic ranch near the southern US border, the titular action hero must come out of retirement whenever his adopted niece (Gabrielle) is kidnapped by a sex trafficking cartel while on a trip to Mexico in search of her dead beat dad, and he takes it upon himself to kick some butt & bring her back.

If you can get over the fact that the man is in his 60's (70's?) at this point, it can be a thrilling (albiet dark & very gruesome) action flick. Not something that'll win any awards (in fact the critics seemed to despise it, largely due to political reasons based on some I read, with a metascore in the 20's, in comparison to it's user score in the 70's), but it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon/evening inside.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Arugula

@RR529 Critics, eh? 🙄

I like the Rambo movies and had actually forgotten about the latest one. Thanks for the reminder!

Arugula

nessisonett

@RR529 To be fair, it wasn’t so much ‘political reasons’ as much as insanely xenophobic portrayals of Mexicans, who were in fact all Spanish which probably shows how little they cared considering they felt that was ‘close enough’. I lasted an hour but I only really liked First Blood anyway.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder The ones I’ve watched so far are Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. While not great I thought they were still decent and watchable. Can’t beat the originals, though.

I did find it odd that both Simba and Nala sang Can You Feel The Love Tonight during the daytime. lol

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

Last night I got back into the swing of nightly movies with Spider-Man (2002).

What a cracking film! Saw it on release back in the day, but it since faded into the background noise of the generic superhero flicks which followed. I'm glad my recent enjoyment of Into the Spider-Verse made me go back to the beginning, as I'd forgotten just how great a great Spidey adventure can be.

Tobey Maguire makes for an excellent Peter Parker, with a sincerity and realism to his shy nerdiness which I think I prefer to the more modern, hip-to-be-square portrayal in the MCU. Pairing his understated performance with an over-the-top, scenery-chewing Willem Dafoe is a genius juxtaposition. Their encounters are the highlight of the whole thing. I also loved Cliff Robertson's Uncle Ben, who helped give what has subsequently become a generic origin story some real weight; Rosemary Harris was a great Aunt May, too. Other cast members I could take or leave, but they all hit their marks and didn't bump into the furniture so I couldn't really ask for more.

Was surprised by the amount of jump-scares, but that and the subtle body-horror interpretation of Spidey's powers made me look up the director's filmography, and suddenly it all made sense. Whilst it may have given certain parts of the film a bit more of an edge than I'd prefer, it reminded me of the risks Tim Burton took when re-introducing Batman (a comparison helped by Danny Elfman's soundtrack delivering his best work since scoring those movies, too).

Can't wait to continue with this trilogy later tonight. I've also got the two Amazing films to follow, but I gather they aren't as good; all the same, I'll give them a fair shake.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Love that film.

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on Spider-Man 2. Still the best modern superhero movie ever made for my money.

3 isn't great - but not as bad as people make out.

The amazing Peter Parker films are not good... at all

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I'd basically heard "one is great, two is the greatest, three doesn't quite stick the landing, and the Amazing films were only made to keep a lucrative licence" so I'm charting my reactions against that consensus as I proceed. I'll be sure to drop in with further thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I love those movies, although I only went to see 3 and the Amazing ones in the cinema since I was (sorry) too young to see them 😂😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON Tobey Maguire's still the best Spider-man. Wasn't a fan of Andrew Garfield but Amazing Spider-man 2's classic suit looked great.

Are there any actors you guys thought did such a great job that you can't see anyone else portraying those superheroes? For example, I think Ryan Reynolds's amazing as Deadpool and was born to play the "Merc with a Mouth". Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man is another tough act to follow.

nessisonett

@WanderingBullet I couldn’t see another Wolverine to be honest. Hugh Jackman did border on parody at times but he was definitely iconic.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet
I think it can really be down to the creative direction of the film as to whether another actor could take any particular mantle.

Maguire for example, would be terrible as the Amazing Spider-Man version of Peter Parker.

Just as Affleck for me is the definitive live action bat, dropping him in to Batman Forever wouldn't really work.

I'm with @LN78 on Reeve though. You could drop him and his Superman in to any other Superman project and make it instantly better.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@LN78 Agreed.

Untitled

He looks great even though he’s not super ripped like the actors we see portraying superheroes nowadays.

@nessisonett He was good in most of the X-Men films but really great in Logan.

@KALofKRYPTON Good point. I get that they were going for TDK look but did it bother you that Affleck's version was bit on the chubby side?

Edited on by WanderingBullet

RogerRoger

@nessisonett No need to be sorry for your age!

@WanderingBullet I had the reverse problem, when Patrick Stewart showed up as Professor X and I just sat there the entire time wondering why Captain Picard suddenly had telepathic powers.

I'd have to agree with Ness, though. I don't envy whoever Disney cast as Wolverine going forward.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Regarding Reeve: That's what natural conditioning looks like in an era of sensible aesthetics. No steroids required!

I like the look and bulk of Batfleck. He was huge, intimidating and brutal; and the design of the suit and what Affleck managed to do with his physique in BvS nailed that perfectly.

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger I actually really liked the dynamics (chemistry) between Stewart's Professor X and McKellen's Magneto.

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, it didn't bother me either but I that's one of the complaints some people had about his version of Batman. I thought the suit overall was not bad except for the neck portion. It doesn't look good sometimes especially when Affleck's turning his head.

Untitled

Edited on by WanderingBullet

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet I really like the BvS cowl (they ruined it for JL) - and the Burton/Schumacher era cowls too. Very much form over function, but the DK/DKR separate neck just looks horrible.

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Not a fan of the separate neck look either. I prefer the one piece look as well even though they may restrict the actors movement or look weird sometimes.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet They became best friends on-set, Stewart and McKellen. They're great together in what few interviews I've seen, and their performances reflect this, too.

@KALofKRYPTON Last night, I watched Spider-Man 2 (or rather, Spider-Man 2.1 as the Blu-Ray extended cut's title sequence reads). I thought it was just as great as the first film, and I therefore had an absolute blast, but it didn't best it. Came close in a few scenes, though.

Perhaps it was because I was watching the extended cut, as I can't imagine many CGI-heavy action sequences were reinserted, but I felt the first half's heavy focus on the soap opera elements made it a teensy bit slow to get going. I didn't mind this at all; the personal life element of Spidey has always been one of his biggest draws, and this went in some cool directions to shore up and sell the moment Peter decides to give up being a superhero. Doc Ock wasn't as cool as the Green Goblin, but he was a better, more three-dimensional villain played to perfection by Satipo (and the blend of CGI and practical puppetry for his arms remains flawless, even by today's standards).

The second half was terrific, without question. The entire train sequence had me on the edge of my seat, and its conclusion (with the public carrying Spidey over the crowd, realising he's just a kid and promising to keep his secret) made me cry. I liked that it had the bravery to let characters fall out with one another, particularly Peter and Aunt May, because that lent a degree of realism and humanity to what could easily have been an effects-laden extended brawl.

Having said that, one other (very minor) concern is that I've seen Spider-Man 3 criticised for having too many sub-plots and too much going on all at once. Honestly, I can see the seeds of that potential problem here. The first film kept things simple, with the Parkers and the Osbornes and M.J. caught between them. Here, you've got Harry introducing Peter to Ock, who knows Peter's teacher anyway, who later attacks Aunt May, who's got a strained relationship with Peter but loves Spider-Man, who loves M.J. but who's engaged to Peter's boss' son, who hates Spider-Man, as does Harry, who then orders Ock to bring him Spider-Man, who is Peter, who was friends with Ock, but is also enemies with Ock when he's Spider-Man and oh no I've gone cross-eyed. There's definitely some "small universe syndrome" going on here, in a city of millions. Don't get me wrong; Spider-Man 2 does the impossible and makes all of the above work somehow, and I loved it, but there's a heck of a lot thrown up in the air, and I won't be able to fault any follow-up for failing to keep track of where it all should land.

Reminded me of The Empire Strikes Back in that regard, taking some key revelations (two "I am your father" moments, as both Harry and M.J. discover the truth about Peter's double life) and building a brilliant, critically acclaimed movie around them. Again, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every minute of it and would definitely call it a favourite. Perhaps I'm just a little late to the party, with too much foreknowledge about where things are headed.

Maybe I'll watch the theatrical version next time. See what it adds (or rather, takes away).

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic