Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 8,930

ralphdibny

@WanderingBullet I haven't actually seen MDB and Sully. Need to watch them still, I would say I've seen a lot of Clint Eastwood films but there are literally so many that I haven't seen nearly all of them.

@RogerRoger haha I just measure by holding stuff up to things, or stick it in and cut off the excess. Polyfilla is the bane of my existence because I find it difficult to apply but I've just discovered caulk which is brilliant and I also highly rate no more nails glue. Basically I just make it up as I go a long and hopefully if I throw enough methods at it then something will work.

Spiderman 3 was the worse of the three but it is still fun and I have seen and enjoyed it many times. I love both of the Tom Holland ones too, zendaya is brilliant in them she really makes me laugh. And Gyllenhaals villainous reveal in far from home has me in stitches. He just pulls the funniest face after Peter leaves the bar they're in and it makes me laugh so much. However the whole scene after that becomes a bit ridiculous

See ya!

WanderingBullet

@ralphdibny I see... In terms of his more recent movies I wouldn't recommend The 15:17 to Paris, though. It's a really really boring movie. The Mule was so-so. Oh, American Sniper was pretty good. I still haven't watched Richard Jewell, yet.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

ralphdibny

@WanderingBullet haven't even heard of 1517 to Paris. I have the mule on blu ray though, so thatll get watched soon hopefully. Might have a look and see if theres a cheap blu ray box set of the dirty Harry films as I don't actually own them. I probably only have about 20 of his films on dvd

See ya!

WanderingBullet

@ralphdibny Dayum, that's a lot of movies. I think I've probably only watched less than a third of them. Quite a few of them I've already forgotten since I watched them when I was young. Just remembered that Space Cowboys is another movie that I really enjoyed.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny This is the bit where I refrain from clicking those spoiler tags, as Far From Home is the only Spidey film I've yet to see. Thanks for the caution!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation (Blu-Ray) - the 4th & last of the original Vacation line of films, that released nearly a decade after the release of Christmas Vacation.

In this installment the Griswalds head off to Las Vegas in celebration of patriarch Clark's (Chevy Chase) work bonus. Despite Clark's insistence that Vegas is a family destination now, it doesn't take long for him to be taken in by the glitz & glamour, ever further leaving his family to fend for themselves (with wife Ellen being courted by Wayne Newton, son Rusty getting into trouble with a fake ID, and daughter Audrey being drawn into the world of exotic dancing), as he becomes addicted to gambling.

I have to say it really holds it's own (Randy Quade once again makes a hilarious turn as cousin Eddie, "Have you tried swimming with the dolphins Clark? I tell you those things are hard to catch!"), and I'm astounded at how well the series had maintained it's heart & general high quality throughout (European Vacation was a bit too try hard, though still enjoyable). If I had to nitpick I'd say Clark's shenanigans at the Hoover dam were a little too silly (these films' strength lies in the fact that they're just grounded enough to be relatable, particularly the original & Christmas), but overall I'd say it's still a great watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kyleforrester87

@RR529 I love Christmas Vacation, I should watch European vacation again - it’s been years since I’ve seen that. Maybe I’ll get round to Vegas one day.

I want a good movie to watch tonight. One Cut of the Dead last week was so good I need something that will match it.

The Green Room is meant to be good 🧐

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@LN78 yeah I saw upgrade, it wasn’t bad actually, on par with stuff like Ghost in the Shell/Looper to me.

I have had A Quiet Place on ice for months now... do I pull the trigger??

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

I saw The Little Mermaid on Disney+ earlier. I have fond memories of that film as I went with a load of younger relatives to see it in the cinema when it was released, while the adults did boring grown up stuff. It was... ok. I seemed to lose a bit of interest just after Ariel kissed the Prince and then snapped back when she got her voice back. It seemed to hold up better than Thor, with no buffering and certainly looked better than I was expecting.

I don't think I'll be keeping the service as there is not enough content that I think I would watch on a regular basis. I saw a couple of episodes of The Mandalorian which was ok and had nice original trilogy feel to it, but nothing to keep me signed up. I will probably revisit it later in the year and see if there is more stuff that interests me.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder The Mandalorian gets better in the second half. But if your not much of a SW fan then it may never click for you.
It was awesome to get to watch Onward for “free” - a big budget movie that literally was released into theaters a month ago. Standard Pixar fare, but I liked the magic slant to it and the whole tale of two brothers on a quest thing. Frozen II is also really quite new and recently out of theaters. I also need to watch The Good Dinosaur, a movie I never had interest in but several people on here stated the hold it up as Disney/Pixar’s best work, so I need to check it out. Also, I need to see Coco again. I think that movie is under appreciated.

I’m also taking the opportunity to use Disney+ to watch all the live action renditions that I never saw because they got clobbered by the critics and the audience. The only one I’ve seen in the past was Cinderella, which I thought was great — actually better than the original animated version. But after that they have all been poorly received. So I streamed The Lion King the other day, and... it’s actually not too bad. I think I read somewhere on here someone said it was well done but a purely unnecessary movie because the original animated show is still leagues better. I think I would mostly agree with that. The live action realism is quite impressive and I thought it was visually stunning. Timone and Pumbaa were the highlights and really well voice acted. And James Earl Jones is, well.. the golden voice of course, so you gotta love Mufasa.

Next I think I’ll try Aladdin. I’m bracing myself for a huge let down, but we’ll see. Then it’ll be Beauty and the Beast, and Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo. For some reason The Jungle Book is trapped up in some contract on another service for a while, like Solo: A Star Wars Story, so I’ll have to wait for that.

I’m also hoping to use D+ to finally watch The Clone Wars and Rebels, as well as to rewatch the prequel trilogy recently. I have Marvel Inhumans, Marvel Runaways, and some old X-Men and Spider-Man animated series to dabble in as well. Some of the classics from the vault I really want to see again, like The Sword in the Stone — probably the most underrated Disney show ever.

I also watched a little bit of one of the Hostile Planet nature documentaries for a while in the background while I did some work in the background. It was high quality and visually beautiful.

Honestly, now that I put it all together, I’ve used Disney+ way more than Netflix since I’ve had it. And this before the new Marvel shows have even come out.

But obviously it’s not for everyone. There is a surprisingly large amount of content, however.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution As a huge fan of the Runaways comics, I was really annoyed at how the head honchos at Marvel decided to axe every single show that was on air. It finally hit its stride in the 3rd season (which isn’t on D+ yet) and it was cut for no apparent reason.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I've already seen all the live action remakes I want to so far, and if I wanted to see any of them I can get them on 4K UHD blu ray from the rental service I use. At least that way I'm not in the hands of the internet gods throttling my bandwidth. I've been watching Star Wars films all my life (the first film was released the same year I was born) so consider my self a fan of the films, but I'm going subscribe to a service just to watch one show or just for when I fancy watching a classic Disney movie (which is quite rare).

The main thing wrong with the The Lion King is that all the animals had no little or no character and emotion to them due to them being realistic and not be able to emote things with their face. It came across as really weird and soulless, especially when it came to the musical numbers. As a flim it was ok, but like with the other remakes all that it really improved on over the original were the visuals, and it's not something I would watch again.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Coco is on my "must watch when I get Disney+ up and running" shortlist, right behind the two Star Wars shows which I'm waiting to be finished. I think it looks genuinely interesting (the opposite of my reaction to Onward, but I'll still give that a go on a rainy Sunday if you didn't hate it).

You and @JohnnyShoulder have convinced me to tread carefully around The Lion King, though. It's the only live-action remake I've been interested in (after The Jungle Book sat untouched on my Netflix watchlist for months; I even saw a takedown notice with a fortnight to spare, and still couldn't bring myself to make time for it). I'm braced for a bit of a letdown, even with John Favreau at the helm.

Thanks to you both for the ongoing Disney+ thoughts. They're real useful when considering the right moment to subscribe, and adding to my already-intimidating backlog of shows and films.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Coco is emotionally intense. It had a strong effect on me!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Thanks for the warning! Will appropriately brace.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I agree on most of your impressions of The Lion King. Sounds like I enjoyed it a smidge more than you but I think you nailed it with the “soulless” descriptor. This primarily came across with Nala and the romance with her feeling flat. Scar also lacked punch, despite this version of him being portrayed much more ruthless, yet without the extensive facial animations of the original version he lacked personality. Mufasa and Simba’s relationship was adequately communicated because Mufasa was a rather stoic father-figure even in the original.

As far as your comments on the value of the service, I would agree that it’s wise to save $6 a month if you don’t have some regular consumption of the product. The good thing about jumping in and out and/or waiting for a time when more content that you want shows up in D+ is that unlike Netflix and Amazon Prime, all the content on D+ is assumed to be permanently on there, since Disney owns all those properties. So a year from now you should still be able to watch Holes or BFG or Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Pirates of the Caribbean whatever other random show you might want to. Not so with other services outside their original content. Which reminds me, I really need to cue up Bumblebee before it disappears from Amazon Prime...

But yeah, I waste a lot of money on these streaming services that I hardly use. I guess I could say the same for PS+ with all those games in my backlog I never play from it. The one value though from these services that I do like it the barrier to try something new is quite low (just time - still a precious commodity, mind) whether it be a game or a movie or a TV series. Without PS+ I don’t think I’d have ever got around to Bloodborne or Titanfall 2 among others that I quite adore now.

@RogerRoger Most Disney pictures suffer from the same recycled format, and so Onward feels familiar, even though it tries to add a new setting. Unfortunately, Disney and Pixar have pumped out great cinema content (imo) and are victims of their own success. But why every single Disney or Pixar movie has to have the story revolve around a dead parent or parents is beyond me. I can count on one hand the number of major Disney productions in which the protagonist has not had a parent or both parents or a close family member die as one of the story beats (really, can you think of many?) So Onward unfortunately feels too familiar in that regard, and so it cheapens the whole “going on a quest together” which would have been fun otherwise. But since Life is Strange 2 resonated with you on the two brothers tale, then this might strike some good emotional notes. It’s definitely worth 90 minutes of your time. Would it have been worth $10 plus the overpriced popcorn and soda at the theater? Probably not. And maybe Disney realized this and figured the pandemic was a sign that they needed to cut their losses and just use it as a vehicle to get eyes on their streaming service.
Coco is much more unique and like @mookysam says, feels more genuinely emotional and powerful. I was surprised how much I liked it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic