Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,781 to 3,800 of 8,930

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I've got a feeling that will cost a wedge! Apart from film grain, older films look fantastic in UHD. I was really impressed with the Alien, Black Hawk Down and Predator UHD discs.

Yeah I hear that about Disney, not sure why they are so reluctant to support the more advanced HDR formats on disc. I bought Thor: Ragnarok before I found out. Will not be buying another UHD disc from them until they fully support the format. And I won't need to as most of them are Disney+.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@RR529 Great thoughts on Episode II there. The universe-building and expanding it did, especially whilst on Coruscant, set the tone for the next fifteen years of content from the prequel era, most notably The Clone Wars. You're right, it isn't the best standalone film, and it's certainly the weakest of its trilogy, but I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. The speeder chase is one of my favourite action set-pieces of the entire saga, and I'm a huge fan of Jango Fett, too!

@JohnnyShoulder Don't have Disney+ yet, no. I went to get it, then realised I had a vast backlog of things to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime, at which point I felt a bit silly; why shell out for the service, only to then sideline it for the first couple months? Better to get it when I'm ready to watch its content (which is being drip-fed to the UK at the moment anyway).

Even if I did subscribe right now, though, I'd still get the box set. It's pretty, and I'm a geek. That being said, on my way out I did glimpse the Blu-Ray one and thought "hmm, I actually prefer that" and so, given that I don't currently have a 4K Blu-Ray player, I'm gonna give it some further thought.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Same thinking here. I'm coming to the end of a few shows on Prime so will likely cancel that if there is much on Disney+ that tickles my fancy.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@RogerRoger @RR529 Y’know I used to be very dismissive of the prequels but I’ve definitely come around. Yeah, they do a lot wrong but they’re brilliant popcorn movies to slag off with your pals. They’re really quite imaginative, which I only saw after seeing just how unimaginative the sequel trilogy was.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Exactly; my year's subscription will last longer this way. I think we're reaching saturation point for all these paid-for streaming services. If you want them all, it costs far too much!

@nessisonett @RR529 The difficulty nowadays is watching the prequels in the wake of pervasive Prequel Memes, which have turned nearly every recognisable line of dialogue (particularly from Episode III - Revenge of the Sith) into an inescapable joke. They're dumb fun but, as somebody who used to be able to take the movies seriously, they've changed my perception of them quite a bit!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I tend to rotate them anyway with only Netflix being the only constant as my mum has a profile under my sub.

In regards to the Star Wars collection, it might be worth getting it on normal blu ray seeing as Disney don't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ currently, if that kinda earning bothers you that is. I know if I was spending that amount of money on a collection, I would want my moneys worth in terms of picture and sound quality.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Cheers, I'll check it out. 👍

I tried out Disney+ earlier. Unfortunately I only lasted about 40 minutes into Thor Ragnarok as it kept buffering, and although the picture quality was good it was not in UHD. Unless things are being throttled in the background because of COVID-19, but I've not experienced such drops in picture quality whilst watching Amazon Prime, Netflix or Google Play. So I just watched the 4K UHD disc I had instead. 😁

So i will watch a few other things, but suffice to say unless things improve I shall not be carrying on after the free trial. Maybe sign up again when things are back to normal again.

kyleforrester87

I watched Escape to Witch Mountain yesterday. Man, I loved this film and the sequel as a young kid. It sort of creeped me out at the time. Probably got me interested in sci-fi, actually. I couldn’t remember a lot of it - it was fun to watch it again.

I also watched Terminator Dark Fate, it was as unnecessary as I thought it would be but much like the new Alien movies I still enjoyed it for what it was.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I just watched Onward on Disney+ (a decent Pixar outing, but probably middle of the pack as far as their standards) and it streamed in 4K without issue. Of course, I don’t know if there is a difference in the US version of the service. But if there is some kind of optimization that has to occur, then perhaps the UK version will be up to speed in a couple months. I wasn’t a subscriber in the opening weeks in the US, so I’m not sure if the roll out was rocky, but it’s been smooth the whole time I’ve subscribed.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

Sorry bit late to the party but I've been using this lockdown time to finally get around to repairing/fully restoring my bedroom windows lol....

@nessisonett I actually think the winter soldier is my favourite MCU movie. I just think it's a great spy/action film and the soundtrack is brilliant, especially during the elevator scene. It's also great to see Captain America just stand up for being good and not standing up for America. That's what I always liked about him. Just that he was a good guy but would go against his government if it was the right thing to do.

@RogerRoger I think ASM2 is my least favourite Spidey film. At least it was at the time. I'm not sure and I don't really want to be "that guy" that gets offended on other people's behalves but I thought the depiction of the clearly mentally ill Electro was borderline offensive. Even Pixars The Incredibles handles the jilted superfan idea a lot better than ASM2 did. Not to say that all villains and thinking about it, a lot of heroes too that have mental health issues is offensive but in other films they seem to just fit a lot better or are handled differently. Also at the time it was clear ASM2 just had a lot of unresolved plot points that were to be resolved in the planned spideyverse that flopped out the gate. And the blatant toy selling.

But all that said...I actually watched it again recently as part of a larger Spidey marathon and I thought it was a lot better than when I saw it the first time. Probably because all the extra information about it being basically a spideyverse pilot was in the back of my mind by then. I think the first ASM was alot better but not great but like you say, the scene with the crane operators was just brilliant and i thought it really showed the vulnerability of a young Spidey (which is another thing that got thrown out the window with the invulnerable ASM2). Another thing about ASM2 is the look didn't really fit with the first one
It looked like it was shot on film which was weird when the first one was filmed digitally in 3d (I believe). I didn't see if you mentioned it but did you get around to into the spideyverse? That was the finale of our marathon and it is a wicked film!

@Th3solution @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I really rate MI: Fallout. It was brilliant, especially in 3D at the cinema and I am gutted it didn't get a 3D blu ray release. I thought it was a lot better than Rogue Nation which I found a bit lame because the villain played by Sean Harris (I think) was just a bit too unbelievable. Luckily his character spent most of Fallout being muzzled and tied up so it gave him a more ominous presence throughout the film.

Ghost Protocol is still my favourite though. I literally got vertigo in the Burj Khalifa scene when I saw it in the BFI IMAX at Waterloo. It was amazing. MI:iii is a product of its time. It's ok but it came out when online shooting games attracted mass appeal due to them being on consoles. So I feel that the film threw out the wacky over the top-ness of MI:2 in favour of something a lot more realistic. They all are kind of a product of their time/directorial style. But that's why I quite like the series because all of the films are just quite different from eachother.

@LN78 not an 80s film but I watched Man on the Moon on iPlayer recently. Bloody brilliant film, I love Jim Carrey a weird films like this and the cable guy. He's a great actor when he has something interesting to do (but he's also blimmin good when he's just being Jim Carrey). The eagle has landed was on there a while back too but I never got around to watching it which I am gutted about. Parts of it were filmed in Cornwall, I caught a bit of it on TV a while back and recognised the locations and thought I'd give it a proper watch one day but couldn't find it on blu ray.

@kyleforrester87 is that the original escape from witch mountain? I've only seen the remake which I only watched because it had the rock in it. I think I thought it was decent at the time but can't remember it too well and I may be getting parts of it mixed up with escape 2 the mysterious Island which I also believe had the rock in it. Not sure...

Terminator Dark Fate is ok. The first two in the series are brilliant and I actually think Terminator 2 is one of, if not the best film ever made. But every sequel after that has been ok except Genisys which was a dog turd that you think is a rock, so you kick it but your shoe just gets covered in muck. Dark Fate was cool for bringing back Sarah Connor but lost all of what made the Terminator lore unique. Like replacing Skynet with the generically named "Legion" was just lame. How many people, organisations and general concepts are named Legion in cinema at this point? A fair few, I would wager.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@LN78 It wasn't bad at all but I didn't love it, if that's the best one I won't go out of my way to watch the rest. I bet it was fantastic going to the cinema to see that in 1971, though.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 I doubt itd be a patch on the original but there are a few remakes I quite like. I love the music in Charlie in the chocolate factory and RoboCop is a cool update for kids in a jurrasic park/the mummy kind of way.

@LN78 I like the dirty Harry movies. One thing I find funny about them is that they mostly feature the "minority" sidekick trope that Eastwood has in a lot of his films. Not saying any of his sidekicks are actually minorities, I just couldn't think of a better word for it. But he seems to make a big thing about his characters getting on with people from all walks of life.

See ya!

ralphdibny

@LN78 I'm actually in the mood for some dirty Harry now lol

Gran Torino definitely feels like a bit of a spiritual successor to dirty Harry in theme and in the way the film is titled but the character is just a bit too different. They probably had to free up Walt so he could actually say and do the things he says and does without it feeling a step too far for Harry. Gran Torino is one of my favourite films. Walt's audacity in some scenes just makes me laugh so much.

See ya!

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

In regards to the Star Wars collection, it might be worth getting it on normal blu ray seeing as Disney don't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ currently, if that kinda earning bothers you that is. I know if I was spending that amount of money on a collection, I would want my moneys worth in terms of picture and sound quality.

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the above. I'm not an audio-visual snob but likewise, it'd bug me if I knew there were a better version out there (or one yet to come). My decision is on hold for now anyway because, earlier this morning, Amazon emailed me to say that my chosen pick-up point for the parcel has shut (it's inside a shopping centre which has locked down) and so they'd default to sending it to my partner's house. The risk of a delivery carrying germs to him immediately outweighed any other consideration and so I cancelled. Looks like it'll be Disney+ or bust for a while yet.

@ralphdibny Well done for being productive with your lockdown, and not just sticking on a bunch of Blu-Rays like the rest of us seem to be!

I get your point about Electro. As somebody who can be (and probably should have been) offended by such a stereotypical portrayal of mental health issues, I think my anticipation of Hollywood's cack-handed approach to such things means that I subconsciously try not to notice them, if not actively ignore them; otherwise I'd end up hating on every movie ever made. The fact that there was no single, barrel-scraping moment around which to rally helped his character fly under my radar, and it was jazzed up in the superhero shenanigans of his electrical accident (a.k.a. the lazy Hollywood shorthand for amplifying traits to extremes). Overall, I was more upset by the expanded universe groundwork that went nowhere, as you say, but also more receptive to the brighter colours, increased humour and wider embrace of the bizarre. That all helped to make up for any shortcomings in the character department.

Oh, that crane scene just about saved the first Amazing film. That and the moment at the end of the train sequence from Spider-Man 2 showing Spidey's relationship with NYC are absolute highlights, and represent my favourite aspect of the hero and his chosen home.

I watched Into the Spider-Verse first, back at the beginning of the year. It was on a streaming service I was browsing and I instantly fell in love with it. It's why I'm on this big Spidey kick now!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah I think Tobey Maguire spider man 2 is my favourite Spiderman film tbh. I do love the first one too and something I didn't notice so much when it came out was that it feels like a proper b movie (in a good way). Which is probably just the Sam Raimi flair to things. There's a scene where he does battle with the green goblin at j Jonah Jameson's office window which looks like a scene straight out of power rangers.

Oh and I have watched/played a fair few things during lockdown! We watched 28 days/weeks later and children of men. We played resident evil revelations and MGS3. I've also hacked the PSTV so we can play portable ops (next in line) on the big TV. Watched a bit of batwoman, we have to catch up on EastEnders still lol. Lots has been done and lots still to do. Also not sure how productive this window fixing is, I might just be fudging it up more as I have no experience in such things. Hopefully it was better than before lol.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@LN78 he's brilliant, one of my favourite actors/directors.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Hey, slight improvement is still improvement! First rule of DIY, that (well... no, first rule is "measure twice, cut once" and then a whole bunch of stuff about not injuring yourself, but it's in there!).

The whole Raimi trilogy was excellent for me, but my favourite Spidey film thusfar remains Into the Spider-Verse because it was just so fresh and exciting. Despite all the versions of Peter Parker I've seen and loved (including the one I'm currently playing as on PS4) there's a part of me which wishes they'd drop him now, and start making more movies about Miles Morales.

But you're right, the first Raimi film had charm. It also shocked me with some of its horror elements, but that's no surprise either. It was a risky first step, but the subsequent budget lavished on its sequels just goes to show how taking that risk was worth it.

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@ralphdibny Love both Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby. Watched them a bunch of times. Sully was pretty good too.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic