Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,681 to 3,700 of 8,938

Tjuz

@ralphdibny I watched My Summer of Love today, as per your recommendation, and I have to say I wasn't super impressed. I wasn't really feeling the chemistry between Blunt and Press, and the development of their relationship felt too short and rushed. I also thought Considine was a bit of a caricature all things considering, and the only time they really added anything to his character they made him a bit too over the top. All that aside, Blunt did a really nice job in the film and her charisma here is undeniable. She clearly was made for the big time even with her earlier stuff like this. It's nice to see where she came from. I wasn't particularly impressed by the directing of Pawlikowski either. It felt a bit safe, basic and uncreative, and I definitely wasn't a fan of the constant camera movements. I assume it was an attempt to make the film feel more naturalistic, but instead it made it feel more amateur. Nonetheless, it's really nice to see where Blunt's career really started and I thank you for the recommendation! If I may be so bold, I would recommend to you Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I get the feeling you would really enjoy that film if you're a fan of this one.

On another note, I saw Richard Jewell in the cinema a few days ago. It only released in the Netherlands last week, oddly enough. It will probably the last film I'll see in the cinema for a little while considering the current state of the world. I did really enjoy it though, and it's quite a nice note to take a break on. I'm not all that familiar with the Jewell story, so it all was somewhat fresh to me. I therefore also don't know exactly how true to the real life events it was. Despite all that though, I thought it was a very touching story with quite an important message even if the plotting had some pacing issues throughout the film. The lead actor is outstanding, and Bates once again proves that she can chew scenery when she wants. I wouldn't have nominated her for an Oscar for this specific performance, but her scene with the speech was undoubtedly a stroke of greatness. As expected, it was expertly directed thanks to Eastwood's deft touch on the entire project. I wish we had seen a bit more of the media's side instead of simply vilifying them, even if deservedly so. I suppose the movie is called Richard Jewell though, so maybe they had no interest in portraying any of that either. The second season of Manhunt which recently came out on Spectrum will also be an adaptation of the same events, and I will be watching that, so I'm interested to see what the differences will be. Overall a very competently made biopic that I really enjoyed.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@nessisonett It's a better experience that generally just requires fewer leaps of logic to navigate the plot threads. And it features possibly Batfleck's greatest on screen moment that was cut from the warehouse fight. It's a wonder they cut out what they did.

The animated films are mostly great and usually adapted very well.
Superman: Doomsday isn't very good, and feels like there were massive constraints on what they could include from the story. They redeemed that a couple of years ago with the Death and Return of Superman.

There are a few of them, so I'd say the highlights are: Justice League: New Frontier, Batman: Under The Red Hood, All-Star Superman, Justice League: War, Justice League: Doom, Batman: Year One, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Justice League: The Throne Of Atlantis, Batman: Bad Blood and Justice League: Dark.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

kyleforrester87

I finally got round to watching Pi on Friday, it was really quite entertaining, I started it a bit late on in the evening so was getting a bit sleepy toward the end. I’d watch it again. Cool film. Ignorance is bliss.

I also watched Colo(u)r out of Space last night, really enjoyed that one. Loved Cage once more, his face when he’s picking those tomato’s 😂. Some of the CGI stuff was pretty shoddy but as a B movie that’s to be expected, I’d certainly watch it again.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

HallowMoonshadow

I gave Momento a watch yesterday whilst lesson planning (Will I actually be teaching tomorrow though I wonder?)

Ironically I'd forgotten about this film and that I'd watched it before until the film had snapped back to the colour narrative for the first time and it all came flooding back.

Guy Pearce really is great as the lead Leonard "Lenny" Shelby not to mention Carie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano are fantastic in the supportive roles too.

I won't say much if you haven't watched it as it relies heavily on the narrative structure (In fact the film's story would be quite average if it played out normally) but it's a noir thriller with some psychological elements.

It's definitely a very unique film and Christopher Nolan is on top form here with the second film he ever made.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @LN78 One of my all time faves. Think I tried watching it in chronological order, but wasn't keen and much preferred it the way it was presented originally.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

Weird Science (Blu-Ray) - 80's teen comedy that sees a couple of high school buddies (Wyatt & Gary) go from dweebs to cool after they inadvertently create a reality bending beauty named Lisa (when simply trying to create a female AI on Wyatt's computer in order to practice speaking to girls), who uses her powers to help them climb the latter of popularity.

It's 80's culture distilled into it's purest form (cheesy, neon infused, with a wide eyed wonder at the unlimited possibilities of computers), and while it may not be a movie that'll stand the test of time, I've always found it to be a fun watch.

Interesting to note that they really went all out with the special features. In addition to all the standard stuff (production photos, theatrical, televesion, & even radio ads, all sorts of commentary), it even has high definition scans of it's various film posters, VHS boxes, DVD boxes, & Blu-Ray boxes from throughout the years, and even regions. It even has a digital copy of the film's script!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

@LN78, Yeah, I got the steelbook edition (it was only marginally more expensive than the regular release, so I figured why not), and while I'm not sure if you'd be able to get the exact same release over in the UK (I'm in the US), I don't see why there'd be any difference in terms of special features (I forgot to mention that it includes the extended cut, which is what I watched, and even the edited for TV version, in addition to the theatrical cut).

I think my favorite line is when Chet (Paxton) was berating Wyatt becsuse it was snowing in his room.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ralphdibny

@Tjuz I'm glad it was worth a watch in some ways at least! By no means is it one of my favourite films but I thought if you were a fan of Blunt then it was a pretty essential film to see. They had us watch it on our film degree and I thought it was OK. I really hope to see Richard Jewell one day. Eastwood directs and stars in (not always at the same time) some of the best films in my opinion.

@nessisonett @KALofKRYPTON I think I saw the live action JL film with the lowest expectations ever and I came out of it mildly surprised. I actually enjoyed it and just thought it was fun to watch. The BVS extended cut and likewise the Suicide Squad extended cut, do make both films a little easier to watch but BVS does remain stupid in so many ways. I probably had higher expectations for that film and was let down by it hence me regarding it as worse than JL.

It's funny that justice League war, which I think was like 70 or 80 minutes long, did a better job of adapting that story than the live action film. I've since seen all of the animated films in that continuity and I have to say that I love them. They are wicked.

See ya!

KALofKRYPTON

@ralphdibny I didn't expect much from Justice League to be honest. The circumstances of the production and Whedon being drafted really didn't fill me with confidence.

I enjoyed BvS a lot more.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Yeah. Lots of that.
Most obvious are Afleck's hairpiece and drop off in physical conditioning with his post-steroid cycle bloat.

I think Snyder probably has a 'work-print'. Doubtful that there's anything close to a complete film, but I'd still like to see it.

ralphdibny

@LN78 @KALofKRYPTON haha yeah batfleck talking to Diana in that one scene where he is just wearing the the top of his muscle suit is so dumb. I think it's just funny and when I watched it again recently, the stuff I used to find really stupid about it, I just find really funny now. I used to hate batflecks knowing smirk but now it just makes me laugh. Not sure if Whedon or Snyder directed the WW sequence at the beginning but I preferred that 5 minutes to the whole of the Wonder Woman movie. Not sure if it's the male gaze that suits my interpretation of the character better but for some reason I just found the WW movie really boring with a couple of laughs.

I think Man of Steel was probably the best of the DCEU. I just thought it was a good standalone movie with only one dumb tornado scene to ruin it. I know the ending is very out of character for Superman but I do feel like he literally had no choice and it was interesting that he opted for the no option over some wacky option. Too bad they didn't really pick up on that thread in later movies.

Likewise id like to see the Snyder cut but I still think it's unlikely, they'd have to payroll basically another movie for Snyder to film the scenes that he didn't get round too and get them edited and scored. Otherwise it will just end up like the fascinating but in my opinion not very good as a movie Donner Cut of Superman 2

See ya!

KALofKRYPTON

@ralphdibny
One thing that really grinds my gears in Justice League is the costuming. None of it is good barring WW.

They properly ruined the Bat cowl from BvS. That suit was sodding perfect, but they just couldn't leave it alone.
The Superman costume has steadily gotten worse since MoS too. I don't mind the colour adjustment to the previously grey pieces and improved cape from BvS - but the metal highlighting for the muscle suit looks awful. And the Kryptonian river nonsense was just... well, nonsense.

Less said about The Flash the better.

I love Man of Steel. It's a good movie, and a good beginning that we never got to see the rest of.

ralphdibny

@KALofKRYPTON I never knew about the Kryptonian river thing, is it to do with the hope symbol?

Flash just looks like a power ranger. Whilst I didn't like the way they were hyping him as the Spiderman of the justice League, he did get some of the nice moments in the film like the "just save one and you'll know what to do scene".

Just wish we could get an adult blonde flash one day, they always seem to want to position him as the kid of the JL. It's why I think Young Justice was so good, because it focused on a new team in a world with an existing lore that you could pay as much attention to as you wanted or not.

I sometimes think the right approach for a DC movie would be to just throw the viewer in at the deep end with a fascinating story at its core to hook viewers. Let the audience become aware of the existing lore through rewatches and future films.

See ya!

KALofKRYPTON

@ralphdibny It's nonsense made up for the film - made up by Whedon possibly too since the scene at the start is clearly a new shot where they're hiding Cavill's 'tache.

I liked the idea that Snyder started for the Kryptonian garments in MoS. I like how that is used to explain the costume. I don't particularly like just new iterations of the costume appearing with no explanation.

I agree with you on The Flash. Barry was an important, serious character - not the comic relief youth.

Yeah, as with JL: War - just get on with the story. Everyone watching is well aware of who the major players are at this point.

ralphdibny

@KALofKRYPTON oh yeah of course the opening scene, I forgot that bit of dialogue entirely, probably because I was focussing on the constantly morphing lips of Henry cavill. It's almost on par with the sand conversation in attack of the clones lol

See ya!

RogerRoger

I think I'm on record as saying that I enjoyed Justice League for what it was. That being said, it isn't a patch on Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition and what should've been the ongoing tone set by Snyder in the underrated Man of Steel. I think that's why I've been nervous to watch Aquaman and Shazam! of late, because I know they won't feel like DCEU films to me. I'll bite the bullet soon, I guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Honestly I really enjoyed Shazam when I watched it last month. It’s stupid but a lot of the jokes land and it’s just a great family movie. Aquaman I wasn’t a fan of but that was to do with the middling pace and hokey-but-not-in-a-fun-way supporting cast.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Thanks; I've heard similar from others, so am prepared to be pleasantly surprised. I think I'd prefer something that set out to be lighthearted from the beginning, rather than something which started in earnest but then got "lightened" in response to test screenings or box office trends.

He says, after admitting to a fondness for Justice League.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Shazam is a fun, good-natured family film, but Aquaman feels like it has no identity whatsoever. To be more precise, it feels like DC looked at the MCU and Star Wars and said: "...something like that."

I enjoyed Batman V Superman for what it was, personally. The gritty Frank Miller-esque Batman was fun, and I liked the absurd, almost apocalyptic tone it had.

Of course, nothing measures up to Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, but I've come to accept that I'll never enjoy other superhero films like I enjoyed those.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Yeah, first thing people often say when I ask them about Aquaman is that "the art design and visual effects are stunning" which tells me everything I need to know about character and plot. I need to be in the right mood for an otherwise-hollow spectacle.

You never know, we might both find a new favourite in Robert Pattinson.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic