Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,941 to 2,960 of 3,143

RR529

Dumbo (DVD) - The live action one. Nothing revelatory, but a decent enough family film.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

KALofKRYPTON

Tried to watch In The Tall Grass. Got half way through it. Haven't been quite so bored watching a film in a long time.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON I almost felt the same with 1922 on Netflix, but managed to stick it out till the end!
Think the last time I gave up watching a film before the end was Nymphomaniac. I didn't even make to to the second disc!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@RogerRoger Brought this over from the TV thread (sorry about that) but just to clarify you like one of the most egregious laughing stock cut-and-shuts in cinematic history in Justice League but not The Dark Knight Trilogy which is (correctly in my view) regarded as the current benchmark for excellence in the field of comic book cinema?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yep, pretty much.

I like Batman Begins quite a bit, actually. It's a nice, complete take on Batman's origins but works better as a standalone. The Dark Knight is massively overrated; there's no denying that some of the performances are solid, but it makes bizarre decisions, lacks charm and feels like one-and-a-half films carelessly mashed together (Two-Face is wasted potential and rushed, whereas the Joker is all over the place). I believe the faults of The Dark Knight Rises have been well-documented by, well... everybody. One of the rare moments where I agree with the masses. It's just a mess.

My biggest problem with it is Christian Bale. I find him unsympathetic and arrogant, and not in the subtle ways that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be. I actually kinda want him to lose. I cheer him on for the sake of his allies (who, as I said, are all excellent, but thanks to their casting more than the script).

Justice League, meanwhile, knows what it is. Don't take it seriously, watch things explode, and it doesn't take up too much of your time (perfect length for its tone, whereas Batman V Superman demanded three hours for its weight and complexity). It's also a strong argument for ignoring behind-the-scenes production stories; I know they're interesting, but if I hadn't have known half the stuff I knew about Justice League going in, I'd have enjoyed it even more. Helps that I watched it late, I reckon; missed it in theatres, just got the Blu-Ray once all the outcry had subsided (with the added benefit that, when I subsequently enjoyed it, all the tie-in LEGO was going cheap, too).

It's not a perfect film, but it's just good fun. I like good fun!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Well that's us totally back on track,then. I actually laughed out loud for a full minute when you mentioned that you thought BvS deserved three hours for its "weight and complexity" so thanks for that. I've had a rough day.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Glad I could help, and hope you're okay.

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Welllp... It's a bit early as it isn't exactly Halloween yet but after watching Oz the past few days I needed something a bit more cheerier... So decided to watch the Halloween Masterpiece that is...

Hocus-Pocus

Campy and hammy as hell but oh so enjoyable too.

Plus the voice of Thackery Binx (Yup the actor is dubbed over for some reason) is also the voice of Haku in the english dub of Spirited Away, Boone in Fallout: New Vegas, a bunch of people in Skyrim and Noel Kreiss in FFXIII-2!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

WanderingBullet

Anybody watched Parasite (Korean movie)? It's getting rave reviews. I'm a big fan of the main actor Song Kang-ho so I'm hoping it'll be on Netflix eventually.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

As before, I've left extensive ramblings about Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country in the dedicated Trekkie topic, bringing that six-part journey to an end. Not sure what I'll watch next, but I think I've lost my Jurassic Park mood, alas.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Alien (Blu-Ray) - Although I've seen bits & pieces of it in the past, this is the first time I've fully watched this sci-fi classic.

Pros:

• It's a marvel in practical effects work. I mean, sure there were times when something showed it's age, but man was everything meticulously put together for the most part. The eggs & facehugger in particular gave me a believably squeamish reaction.
  • Tense & moody atmosphere that made it a perfect evening watch, with a genuine narrative twist or two. I never expected Ash would be an android.

Cons:

• A small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but I didn't care for the incessant strobe light effect during the climax.

I can definitely see why this is a classic. It certainly holds up.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 My all time fave! One of my earliest memories of a film scaring me.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

Arugula

Stuber. I'd been looking forward to this so there was a certain level of expectation that I'm happy to say it met. Very funny, a little humility, good action and decent acting provide a very watchable experience.

Arugula

jacobia

@RR529 Wow, cool, glad you enjoyed it. So, will you be watching the sequels now?

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

RR529

Since Alien was the last film in my last batch, I've ordered my next set of Blu-Rays.

• A View to a Kill - the next Bond movie in line. I was going to get Never Say Never Again next (even though it's apparently not proper Bond), but it must not have had a rerelease in awhile. Walmart only has it through a 3rd party seller offering it for over $150! Heck, even the DVD was $60 or something like that. Needless to say I'm not spending that much on a movie, so I'm skipping it.
  • Godzilla VS King Ghidorah - the 90's version, comes in a double pack with the 90's Godzilla VS Mothra. I was going to get Godzilla VS Biollante, as it was next in-line after 1984/5 (which I last watched), but apparently Walmart only has it as an in-store purchase only, so I'll have to look for it next time I go.
  • Godzilla VS Mothra - Look above.
  • Fast Times at Ridgemont High - I tend to enjoy 80's teen films (and have seen parts of it before), so I've decided to get it.
  • Starship Troopers - A violent sci-fi epic with a more humorous tone (a satire of nationalist militarism), I've always liked it.

@JohnnyShoulder, @jacobia, yeah, I'll definitely check out Aliens (which I've heard is good as well, and have also seen some of). Not sure about the others though, as I haven't heard much about them (maybe Prometheus, which I caught on TV a few years ago, and is connected if I'm not mistaken).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

jacobia

@RR529 Yeah, I love the Alien franchise and Aliens is a top notch sequel. You’re mileage may vary with Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection though. Prometheus and it’s sequel Alien: Covenant are prequels to the first Alien film...again, mileage may vary. Enjoy 😊

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 Aliens is my second favourite film! It's a different beast to the first one, much more action orientated. The films don't get any better than the first two. I didn't mind the third film, but it had a troubled production. Part of me wishes they had stuck with the wooden planet idea. Alien Resurrection is a mess of a movie. The two prequel movies are not that bad, just not very good Alien movies. I didn't like all the religious stuff very much in those films. I won't even go there with the AVP films.

RogerRoger

@RR529 Wow, massive price tag on Never Say Never Again there! Be grateful; you just dodged a potentially painful bullet. Hope you enjoy A View to a Kill when you watch it!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic