Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,921 to 2,940 of 3,278

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah It's even creeping into reviews of video games on some sites. I recall Far Cry 5 I believe got criticised for not being political enough and not having the so called balls to be anti-Trump. Or something along those lines.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Even the wikipedia page for Joker has a bunch of stuff in the "themes" section with quotes from various reviews saying how it could inspire people to commit atroscities and paints Arthur in a sympathetic light...

I read one review going on about how the director was basically just trying to shock/be edgy with Joker because he did the Hangover films...

Really quite surprised at how the media is trying to hate this film when they loved the utter cringey tripe that was Ghostbusters 2016 (... And I personally think the original is only ok too)

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Arugula

Watched Spiderman Far From Home. Enjoyed the first half.
The end.

Arugula

LN78

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The director Todd Philips said in an interview that he found it increasingly difficult to make comedy films in a day and age when his personal sensibilities are likely to offend a large portion of his potential audience who are increasingly "woke" or to ruffle the feathers of studios which would in all likelihood bowdlerise his writing to keep the advertisers on side. He is even on record as saying that the only way he could get such a dark and uncomfortable film with themes about the dangers of inadequate mental health care provision and societal inequality in the US into national theatre chains was to "trojan horse" the project under the guise of another colourful comic book film. This is perhaps why the mainstream media (in the US in particular) have had their knives out (so to speak) for the film which in real terms is less violent and has a lower body count than movies such as Logan or Deadpool. More worrying (sickening,even) is the implication from certain circles that the media were attempting to incite or even wanted a violent incident to take place, not only to corroborate their fear mongering but to increase sales,clicks and ratings and consequently advertising revenue. Speaking personally I couldn't care less if Phillips didn't make another comedy film ever again, or if his comic sensibilities are at odds with "woke" society (I found his so-called "funny" material mean spirited,one dimensional and sophmoric) but I do applaud his attempt (which was largely successful in my view) to put out a thoughtful,well directed and beautifully performed film which stands in stark contrast to the increasingly safe,commercial,corporate friendly homogenized blockbuster fair which is in our cinemas one week and forgotten the next.
PS I would love to know your thoughts on why one of the most brilliantly conceived, written and performed American film comedies of all time is "only OK" if you have the time.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

I'll see Joker at some point - it is very interesting to see the established entertainment (and wider) media try so hard to insist that the film is dangerous - or even just not very good.

The gulf between what a lot of media sources say is all right and good and what audiences (informed fans or not) actually go out and enjoy is growing increasingly wider. Every time I think we've reached 'peak woke' - they do go and prove me wrong.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I wasn't really trying to make any political statement but I guess I should've chose something other then that film to highlight a disconnect between reviewers and audiences

I didn't realise that was you Frigate or should I say @Arugula . Take it you didn't enjoy the second half then of Far From Home?

Well it's been a while since I've seen Ghostbusters @LN78 (about five years give or take) so I can't give you a lovingly and well thought out response... You'll have to make do with recollections unfortunately 😂

• I don't rate Bill Murray particularly for starts. Only watched a few films with him in to be honest, but he's a bit dry for my taste.
  • The story has some lulls in places
  • The tone can get a bit too goofy as well that pulls me out of it

It's not bad or anything. 6.5... maybe a 7 outta 10 if I'm feeling generous

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I'm loathe to wade into a socio-political discussion (mostly because I'd get myself all riled up) but am grateful for your response yesterday, and the other replies have been interesting to read. I certainly agree that the media's preoccupation with the current President is unnerving; one of the first things to take a direct swipe at him and his supporters was the ending of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, an ending almost universally panned as a ham-fisted anticlimax which fell completely flat. I find it incredible (as in, it defies credibility) that films, television shows and games are now getting the same reaction when they don't do exactly that. Must be all that short-term memory loss resulting from the legalisation of cannabis.

Right, shutting up now.

Over the past couple days, I watched Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and, as before, I've left detailed ramblings in the dedicated Star Trek topic.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Arugula

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Lol, call me whatever you like. 🤗

It's not that I didn't like the second half but it went back to the very formulaic superhero stuff which it kind of had to in Peter's efforts to stop the villain. I just thought the first half was much more inventive, heartfelt, hilarious and fun.

Arugula

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Here's a big one this year that doesn't appear to have any politics behind it - Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Audiences enjoyed it for the spectacular, beautiful, dumb kaiju film that it was, but reviewers apparently weren't satisfied with the story and characters and couldn't appreciate the film on its own merits.

And yeah, Ghostbusters 2016 was a spectacularly bad film. And the funny thing is that a lot of critics who were carrying water for it have since admitted that it's a bad film. I remember a piece where one critic even basically said: "It wasn't a good film, but because of where the culture was at the time, I couldn't admit that."

@RogerRoger lol After the 2016 election, there was a period where you could tell all of the big liberal Hollywood writers were processing their grief, because there were storylines and references to the president and the election everywhere (references even ended up in one of my Danganronpa games!). The American Horror Story that next year was nakedly ABOUT some alt-right sociopath trying to upend the social order after the election, for example; the ending was practically 2016 fanfiction, and involved the main character, as a stand-in for Hillary, shooting the Trump-ish alt-right dude on-stage after making a "nasty woman" quip.

But, yeah, I'm shutting up now. American media is 100% Trump, 100% of the time. I'm not infecting this place with that mind-virus, too.

It's a pity how far the Wolfenstein reboot series seems to have fallen. The New Order was a legitimately fun game. But the games just seem to keep getting worse, with the most recent, multiplayer-focused entry getting almost universally panned.

@LN78 Yeah, that's the sense I got, too: Joker's deconstruction of late-stage capitalism made the corporate-funded media nervous, so they're attempting to make the discussion about incels and white terrorism.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Ralizah wrote:

I remember a piece where one critic even basically said: "It wasn't a good film, but because of where the culture was at the time, I couldn't admit that."

Rage. So very rage. Especially since I happen to fall into one of the categories these morons think they're protecting when they do such stupid things. Makes me feel dirty.

If you like a piece of art, or hate it, you should just say so. That's kinda the definition of an art critic.

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Reginald Von Twinleaf III it is then @Arugula (Jokes I'll call ya by your new name)

And I see, glad you enjoyed it overall, in particular the more inventive first half

Oh yeah I remember you saying about that @Ralizah ... The fact it doesn't have Aaron Taylor Johnson front and centre as generic military dude #2346 would already make it a vast improvement on the first

I've admittedly only seen the american ones (I know a bit about the Gojira films, mainly some of the villains) and King Of Monsters did look good but I was too ill at the time to go see it. I'll catch it on dvd/blu ray soon hopefully

Little worried that the next one Godzilla vs Kong is being directed by the guy who did the abysmal Death Note Netflix film...

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Are you telling me that you don't need the big, strong critics to bravely shield you from bigotry by propping up a bad film as an act of progressive activism?

The dumb thing is that, for all the "support women" energy they put into it, the film was directed by a dude known for directing gross-out comedies. And, in that light, the real villains come to light: the idiotic executives who thought assigning a guy who specializes in sex comedies to direct a big-budget family-focused comedy was ever going to end in anything but disaster. And that's entirely on them and the director. I'm not a huge fan of the cast of that film, but you could absolutely make a decent Ghostbusters reboot with that same cast. Just... give them a good script. Actually respect the tone of the source material. Give Leslie Jones something to do other than yelling like a maniac (not sure when it became progressive to write a character that leans so heavily into the loud black woman stereotype).

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's telling that they advertised the previous American Godzilla film with Bryan Cranston front and center. Absolutely false advertising, but imagine a real "honest trailer" for that film instead. 90% of it would be that generic military dude, and nobody would have seen the film.

If you ever get the opportunity, you should at least see the original 1954 Gojira (not the American localization that added in American characters who had no business being there) and 2016's Shin Gojira, which was directed by Hideaki Anno, of Shinseiki Evangelion fame.

I do hope Godzilla vs. Kong turns out well, because Skull Island and King of the Monsters were both very fun American kaiju films. Finding that out about the director doesn't fill me with hope, though.

Although I'll see it either way <3

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I don't know how to reply to your question, as I haven't seen this exact situation in a recent critic-endorsed blockbuster and therefore don't have a pattern of behaviour to copy.

All I know is that Brokeback Mountain was a boring, irresponsible waste of time.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger What does "Brokeback Mountain" have to do with the conversation and what was irresponsible about it? I'm a bit lost.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Forgive me, I was being perhaps a tad too snarky.

In my previous reply, I'd noted that I'm one of those who critics seek to protect with their imbalanced praise / criticism of social hot-button topics; I just needed an illustrative example of one such film where I felt that said critical reaction was tainted by an edge of "we have to praise this to seem nice". Brokeback Mountain was lauded as a brave, groundbreaking romance drama with a lot to say on behalf of gay (and other) men everywhere, yet I just saw many elements of it as reinforcing a few dangerous and inaccurate stereotypes that've caused me more than a few headaches over the years, s'all.

Plus it was boring. So very boring.

This is quite a mature conversation and I apologise if my attempt at a quick joke didn't stick the landing.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Perhaps that you thought the film was perpetuating or reinforcing negative stereotypes, that the critics were being disingenuous or that it was boring says more about the sort of person you are than it does about the film.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yes, that's probably true. Nicely put.

The dangers of making sweeping generalisations on behalf of certain sections of society aren't just limited to professional critics, it would seem!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Oh man, what a time capsule that reference was! I haven't even thought about that film since before graduating High School.

I actually liked the movie. But I'll admit Gyllenhaal trying to be a cowboy, with the mustache and the phony accent, always came off as a bit ridiculous, from what I remember.

Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I probably should revisit it, especially given that I'm discovering a lot of my older opinions towards films and television shows have changed of late (and since you mention that Gyllenhaal's performance was a minus, yet I don't think acting was one of the problems I had with it).

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Joker is good. Worth a watch and obvious that the critical response is predictably sensationalised.
The leap from watching this (or any) film to going on to try and emulate it is one is one of deliberate malice or the sort of mental imbalance that requires very little spark to get going.

At worst, there is one passage of dialogue that could be considered inflammatory( Joker's rant before he shoots Murray ) but that is delivered to a character who hasn't been particularly antagonistic and in a way that doesn't inspire sympathy.
The running 'eat the rich' theme is nothing new either, so for the generally rich(er) entertainment media/sjw crowd to have such an issue with it is perfectly telling.

I've seen it said that this is the best portrayal of the character; It is a fine film, and Phoenix will undoubtedly take home awards, but I couldn't disagree more. A brilliant take for sure, but proto-Joker isn't quite The Joker.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic