Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 8,938

WanderingBullet

@BAMozzy: They're link because of the team movies. Otherwise, they would have to explain all the characters origins in one movie. Which might be difficult. Also, they might have to cast different actors for both the solo and team movies. Plus, I don't think you'll to watch every other movie to understand whats going on. Some I feel are pretty much standalone movies, like Thor: The Dark World, Iron-Man 2, and 3….

I didn't really enjoyed watching Agents of Shield, so I stopped after the first five episodes.

Is Agent Carter any good? The first season was aired here but I didn't watch them.

It'll be interesting to see what DC does if Justice League gets bad reviews considering Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg movies are in the works as well.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

BAMozzy

WanderingBullet wrote:

@BAMozzy: They're link because of the team movies. Otherwise, they would have to explain all the characters origins in one movie. Which might be difficult. Also, they might have to cast different actors for both the solo and team movies. Plus, I don't think you'll to watch every other movie to understand whats going on. Some I feel are pretty much standalone movies, like Thor: The Dark World, Iron-Man 2, and 3….

I didn't really enjoyed watching Agents of Shield, so I stopped after the first five episodes.

Is Agent Carter any good? The first season was aired here but I didn't watch them.

It'll be interesting to see what DC does if Justice League gets bad reviews considering Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg movies are in the works as well.

Its not that they are 'team movies' that is the issue. If you didn't watch the Winter Soldier for example, that impacted on Agents of Shield and every movie after that - because of Shields 'status'. That means going from Avengers 2 to 3 was affected as well as events in other movies where Shield is more prominent. Why was Shield 'underground' after being so prominent in the previous movies? Winter Soldier explains that but unless you watch it, then the subsequent Avengers/Agents of Shield etc don't make as much sense as a continuation from the previous entries. Characters, Comments etc lose the same impact/reference unless you watched them at the right time - annoying when the TV show is ahead of the Movies (if you don't go to the Cinema)

I have NO issue with a different actor playing a certain character. I grew up watching Adam West as Batman, watched Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney play Batman before Christian Bale's took over for that trilogy. I remember the 70's Spider-Man films with Nicholas Hammond, before Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield played the roles, Christopher Reeve's Superman and watched George Reeves play the role on TV, long before Dean Cain, Tom Welling, Brandon Routh or Henry Cavill took over the cape...

You also don't need to see yet another 'origins' story for the majority of characters - you don't need to see Spider-Man bitten by a radioactive spider, don't need to see Superman sent to Earth from Krypton, Batman's parents killed etc. If a Character 'needs' a backstory for a 'team' based arc, then either make one BEFORE it comes out or give a bit of a back story in the team based one - like I said you don't need it for all! Solo movies can have their own Arc, follow on directly from the last - at most a line of 'dialogue' mentioning in something from the team based exploits (like 'nice to see you back on your home turf' or How did the mission go with the 'others?') but when the 'dynamics' change radically (such as Shields global status) and a lot of references to events in other movies, then it gets a bit much in my opinion.

Justice League (for example) doesn't need to impact on Gotham, Metropolis etc to affect the Solo movies of these main characters - Wonder Woman fighting Joker or Lex Luthor doesn't seem 'right' in the same way that Batman fighting Cheetah or Black Manta wouldn't be right either. They can easily have a separate story arc for their native stomping ground and come together to tackle a more 'global' threat. The Solo movies could of course have 'easter eggs' for the team based movies, a TV newscast about it for example.

I am still very disappointed that BvS decided the fate of a very important character in the Superman universe. That affects the Solo movie straight away and won't seem right IF they link back to this movie! Once done, cannot be undone if things are going to remain 'canon' for the cinematic universe - comics are very different as they can start a new storyline regardless.

Anyway that's how I feel

Agent Carter was good. It was separate from the MCU because of the era it was set in. Hayley Atwell was great as the lead and the storyline wasn't too bad either. First series was better than the second but the second was a 'grower' - i.e started a bit weak but got better if you persevered.

Agents of Shield is 'good' but can be difficult to follow as it ties into the Movies. Ghostrider is coming to the next series I believe. As this is based on Shield, which has a prominent role in the movies, things like the events in the Winter Soldier and even Civil War are played out in 'real' time - considering I haven't seen Civil War yet and was late to Winter Soldier (relying on Sky to broadcast which is often months later), they are reacting to things I won't see until the Movie gets shown.

I don't know what's going on with DC - some of the best superhero 'movies' were DC based - Superman 1 and 2, Batman and Batman Returns, the Dark Knight...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

daveofduncan

I'll be seeing it purely for Harley Quinn. Big fan of the character, probably due to the Arkham games. The fact Robbie is playing her is just an added bonus

The one gripe i have with reviews is the fact some are bashing the film for lack of Joker. To my knowledge, Joker isn't even a main member of the Suicide Squad. He's in the film to help get Harley set up and to give us a look at him before the batman flick.

In need of a new friend's list. Apply within!

PSN: borntodave

WanderingBullet

@BAMozzy: So are there super humans in Agent Carter?

@daveofduncan For me, I'm a huge Will Smith and superheroes movies fan but I'm also interested to see Harley Quinn having seen the way she talked in the trailers. Reminds me a little bit of the Batman Animated Series/Movies.

BAMozzy

@WanderingBullet: No. Have you seen Capt America? Agent Carter was in that. She was a love interest for him at the government back during WW2. This takes place after that War - Capt America has disappeared - but long before any of the others were known about or 'born'. Tony Stark's (Ironman) father is a recurring character with a few interesting creations along the way.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Tasuki

@BAMozzy: I thought Agent Carter was pretty good, just wish they didn't cancel it. Sadly I missed most of the second season, I only have Hulu and when I learned the second season was on it was mid way through the season and several episodes were already gone off of Hulu hopefully they will bring the second season to Netflix and I can watch it then. I really wish that Netflix would pick it up and have it on that like Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

@Tasuki: I enjoyed Agent Carter too. I don't have (or want) Netflix or other streaming subscriptions so I hope Daredevil and Jessica Jones get bought by a 'satellite' channel to be broadcast on Sky at some point in the future. It annoys me that some programmes come to the UK just as they are 'cancelled' - Shows like Bitten for example was cancelled after its 2nd series yet only started a couple of months ago. I see Syfy (US) shows end up on C4/C5 (for example) in the UK even though we have a Syfy channel here. They are cancelled by Syfy before they are 'sold' to international channels for broadcasting rights. It almost puts you off before they even come to us.

WanderingBullet

@BAMozzy: Yeah, I know the character because I watched the Captain America movies. I also know its the same actress starring in the TV series but that's pretty much it.lol

Just watched Suicide Squad earlier, thought the starting half an hour or so was pretty good but after that it was just meh.:/ That said, I don't think it was worst than BvS. Harley Quinn was pretty good, whereas both Deadshot and the Joker were alright. I give it a 4.5, maybe a 5 out of 10. BvS for me was a 3.5 out of 10.

Oh yeah, I wasn't sure at first but it looks like that Final Fantasy: Kingsglaive will be screening here next week. So thats pretty cool. Lately, they have been a few Japanese anime movies here in the cinemas as well like Boruto: Naruto The Movie, Detective Conan and One Piece: Gold (coming soon).

themcnoisy

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: I hardly think anyone will be upset it's not the greatest film ever made.

Well actually that's not true I have completely stopped watching super hero films as they are so bad. After watching the outstanding Toby Dwyer (hope that's his name) Spiderman 1 and 2 films and the original Iron man the hero films have gone downhill, I've seen the cheesy Antman, The terrible superman remake and the even worse xmen films. Even Batman which everyone raved about was complete crap. So I don't actively search out the latest superhero films.

We need some new heroes, some new cool films. Where's the Aliens / Terminator / Predator of 2016?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Victor_Meldrew

@themcnoisy: I don't think any of those were ever that great but Dark Kinight, Avengers, X men, Ant Man, Dead Pool, Spawn, The Crow, Judge Dredd, Dredd, Green Lantern, Green Hornet, Blade, Hellboy, The Mask, V for Vendetta, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Kick Ass, Watchmen, Super, Green Hornet, that's not even a lot of the recent ones but I enjoyed all of those regardless if anyone thought they were great or not.

Victor_Meldrew

Rudy_Manchego

I just watched the extended cut of Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Amblivalence and it was a superior version to the theatrical cut. However, it still has some major issues. Namely (and without spoilers), the bad guy's motivation and plan made zero zero sense. The directors cut expands on the plot and the detail makes more sense but why and what the end games are just not even considered.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

@Rudy_Manchego: yeah with lex they just throw in power hungry and insane, plot is the biggest and only major problem of the film

Victor_Meldrew

WanderingBullet

@Rudy_Manchego: Can't remember which reviewer it was but they said the extended cut didn't do much to explain the many plot holes but it was a bit better compared to the theatrical release. It's just not his motivation, another problem with Eisenberg for me was Lex Luthor's manic and nerdy personality in the film. It would've been more suited for him to play someone like the Riddler, I feel.

Rudy_Manchego

@WanderingBullet: @Bad-MuthaAdebisi:

Agree on both counts. Lex is just insane and for no reason at all.The whole (possible Spoilers) CGI creation at the end was just stupid and clearly only there for a big spectacle.

With regards to Lex, I can see what they were trying for and to make that character relevant and everything but really, without a coherent plan he just came across as waaaaay over the top. The riddler is a good shout actually, I hadn't thought of that.

The extended cut puts a band aid on some plot points but there is still a massive head wound.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

WanderingBullet

Just watched Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV. Thought it was pretty good. I especially loved the fight scenes involving the warp skills. The photorealistic CGI at times were very impressive as well. I give it a 7/10.

RR529

Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser - My father rented this for some reason I can't possibly fathom, and we watched it the other night, so... yeah.

InuYasha the Movie 4: Fire on Mystic Island - The last of the InuYasha movies, and my least favorite of the bunch. However, it's still a decently good time, with some great action (spectacular explosions, in particular). With this over, my summertime rewatch of these films is now complete.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na... BATMAN!

Batman Return Of The Caped Crusaders new animated movie voiced by Adam West and Burt Ward.

RR529

Jurassic Park (DVD) - One of my favorite movies of all time. Reading the book put me in the mood for it, so I popped it in the other night.

The Wave (Netflix) - Norwegian disaster movie about a landslide that triggers a disastrous tsunami, and now one scientist struggles to get his family out of danger in time (the city was hit by a tsunami in 1905 in real life, and the movie is sort of a what-if scenario if it happened again today). Overall, it was decent (absolutely beautiful countryside, though).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

themcnoisy

Watched Riddick a couple of nights ago. I know the series isn't loved by many, but I've enjoyed every single film and both games! Count me a fan.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

crippyd

I watched Batman v Superman last night and, even though my expectations were low after MoS, I was totally disappointed. That was a complete travesty of a movie, I have no idea what the director was going for. It was over long, confusing and ultimately boring. If it was chopped down to about 90 minutes it might be a decent film, as it stands I would avoid like the plague.

Edited on by crippyd

crippyd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic