Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 8,938

WanderingBullet

Jared Leto is set to portray Morbius in a Spider-man spin-off movie. I'm familiar with the character but haven't actually read comics where he was in it before.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Spider-Man 3 what a travesty. The dance scene, what on earth were they thinking?!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Victor_Meldrew

Ant-Man and the Wasp was fairly boring unfortunately, most of the jokes were pretty poor but overall entertaining enough and at least some good moments, definitely not worth the cinema trip especially if you pay silly prices. Mission Impossible was very predictable but I'd say if you've enjoyed the franchise it aint too bad, just more of the same.

Victor_Meldrew

crippyd

I watched Ant man and the Wasp over the weekend and it was an average film, certainly not up to the standard of the first. Not a bad film by any stretch but not a great one either.

crippyd

Jaz007

I just saw Christopher Robins. It was an excellent movie, the storytelling, artistry (the message and how was told was deep and very well done, with a lot of symbolism), nostalgia, and humor were all top notch. If watched or read Whinnie the Pooh as a kid, this movie is a must. It’s a very much a movie for adults than kids can see. I’d even say if they haven’t seen Whinnie the Pooh, they won’t get it a whole lot.

Jaz007

Ralizah

Ant-Man and the Wasp was filled with inconsistent writing that brought down the experience.

But it was dumb fun, like most Marvel films tend to be. Still better than the second or third Iron Man movies, or the first two Avenger films, or the second Guardians of the Galaxy, or Captain America: The First Avenger, or Civil War, or...

Marvel is the Naughty Dog of cinema for me. I don't really enjoy most of what they put out, yet, for some reason, I usually end up seeing/playing their products regardless.

To be honest, the best superhero-themed movie I've seen so far this year is absolutely Teen Titans Go! to the Movies. Everyone in the theater laughed from beginning to end.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

WanderingBullet

Watched Mission Impossible: Fallout, love the action sequences but in terms of the movie as whole I think I preferred Ghost Protocol.

Just curious, but how would you guys rate the MCU movies you've seen so far?

For me:

Thor: Ragnarok - 9.5

Avengers: Infinity War - 9
Captain America: Winter Soldier - 9
Guardians of the Galaxy - 9

Ant-man - 8.5
Avengers - 8.5
Iron Man - 8.5
Spider-man: Homecoming - 8.5

Doctor Strange - 8

Captain America: Civil War - 7.5

Ant-man and the Wasp - 7
Avengers: Age of Ultron - 7
Black Panther - 7
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - 7
Iron Man 3 - 7

Thor - 6

Captain America: The First Avenger - 5

Thor: The Dark World - 4
Iron Man 2 - 4

The Incredible Hulk - 3.5

KALofKRYPTON

Looking forward to MI:F

As for MCU:
Thor - 9.5
Thor: Ragnarok - 9
Avengers - 9
Guardians of the Galaxy - 9
Captain America: The First Avenger - 8
Iron Man - 8
Captain America: Civil War - 8
Avengers: Infinity War - 7
Ant-man - 7
Doctor Strange - 7
Avengers: Age of Ultron - 7
The Incredible Hulk - 7
Thor: The Dark World - 7
Spider-man: Homecoming - 6.5
Captain America: Winter Soldier - 6
Black Panther - 6
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - 6
Iron Man 2 - 2.5
Iron Man 3 - -1
Ant-man and the Wasp - not seen

Man of Steel - 11!!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet I would agree with the general placement of your MCU ratings. Probably bring Thor Ragnarok down a notch and Avengers up a notch. Also Black Panther down a notch. Found it slightly boring. So basically similar to @KalofKrypton there. But I agree with Winter Soldier and Homecoming being a little higher up in the top third. And I would definitely give Iron Man 3 more than a 1. Maybe a 6 / middle of the pack.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution That's a -1!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

Is it because the way Mandarin was handled that you guys didn't like Iron Man 3?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Iron Man - 9

Captain America: Winter Soldier - 8
Ant-Man - 8
Spider-man: Homecoming - 8
Ang Lee's Hulk - 8

Doctor Strange - 7
Guardians of the Galaxy - 7

Ant-man and the Wasp - 6.5

Captain America: Civil War - 6
Avengers: Age of Ultron - 6
Iron Man 3 - 6

>5 (ranked in order of decreasing preference from top to bottom)
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
The Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder There is that, but the film as a whole really grinds my gears.

I appreciate the PTSD angle - but the contrived isolation of Tony, waste of Rebecca Hall, Aldridge Killian and more-so, the apparent fragility of the mark 47... a lot of the plot contrivance in the film just felt too forced in order to tell the story that they were going for. It starts early on with the mansion attack and really doesn't let up.

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON I might need to watch IM3 again as I don’t remember it being that bad. The only part that stuck out to me was the ending which seemed inconsistent with the MCU plan. It seems to give the impression that Stark is giving up being Iron Man, and throws away his suits. But then the next movie comes out (I forget which one it was, maybe Age if Ultron) and it’s like, just kidding! I’m still Iron Man! And there is no explanation as to why he comes back, as I recall
But the rest of the movie was fun and I liked all the different suits.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Yeah, on second thought, I probably should've given Avengers a 9. Joss Whedon really did a great job and showed that you can actually make a great superheroes team movie.

The Black Panther movie focused too much on technology, whereas I was hoping to see more of Civil Wars's Black Panther if you get what I mean. Also, I thought the CGI wasn't really that good in a lot of parts.

@KALofKRYPTON Ant-man and the Wasp is not bad but I wouldn't consider it an essential MCU movie. Like I said previously, the villain was meh and the scene that made the most impact was the first post-credit scene.

@JohnnyShoulder I thought Kingsley portrayal as the fake Mandarin was hilarious, tbh. It helps the fact, that I didn't read a lot of Iron Man comics so it didn't bother me that much.

@Ralizah Interesting, I know a lot of people who didn't like Ang Lee's Hulk. Personally, I'm okay with it even though I didn't really like the ending.

Jaz007

MCU movies:
Iron Man - 9
Iron Man 2 - 7-8 (it’s been too long to remnber)
Iron Man 3 - 8.5 or 9 (I really liked the PTSD. Will agree @Th3Solution though, the ending didn’t make sense.)
Captain America - 8
Captain America Winter Soldier - 7
Thor 8.5
Thor: Dark world - 6
Thor Ragnorok - 3 (now this is a bad movie, I don’t understand why people like this mockery.)
Spider-Man: HC - 7.5
Doctor Strange - 7
Guardian - 9
Guardians 2 - 9
Black Panther 8.5
Avengers - 9
Avenger: Age of Ultron 8.5
Civil War: 8
Infinity War: 8.8
Ant-Man - 9
Ant-Man and the Wasp - 7.5

Whenever I line-up all the Marvel movies, I always feel like there should be more.

Jaz007

Ralizah

@WanderingBullet It gets a bad rap, imo, because it's not the sort of irreverent popcorn fare people have been conditioned to expect from superhero movies. The film is visually inventive (really dig the comicbook-style scene transitions), deeply psychological (this is the only film I've seen that tries to treat 'the hulk' as a serious metaphor for the deleterious effects of patriarchal violence and repressed male anger that can 'poison the well' of an otherwise good man's personal life), and has a great sense of weight and gravity to its action sequences.

Definitely a flawed film, but I thought it did a lot of things right.

WanderingBullet

@Jaz007 Nah, just 20 in total so far with three more slated for next year:

• Captain Marvel
  • Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 (currently untitled)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (would be funny if it actually meant that Peter was stuck in another dimension after Thanos snapped his fingers)lol

WanderingBullet

@Ralizah Yeah, I too thought the comicbook-style scene transitions were kinda cool.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet I agree with @Ralizah I dig Ang Lee's Hulk. The film as a whole is very good and tapped a lot of the darker, more psychological fare from the comics of the time (Hulk got really, really dark).

@Th3solution The ending is the most consistent part (if an overly simplified metaphor) of the PTSD story really. The destruction of the suits signifies that the crutch of building the suits, and 'needing' so many suits is no longer needed. When he fetches the robot from the wrecked mansion it is basically a reset. PTSD cured and time to carry on. After that we only see one suit per film (I think).

on a similar - if less popular note:

DCEU or World of, or whatever...

Man of Steel - 9
Batman vs Superman (extended cut) - 8
Wonder Woman - 8
Suicide Squad - 6.5
Justice League - 6 (there is a fan Snyder cut coming very soon, the YouTube clips so far are looking promising)

Predicted scores:
Shazam - 9 (didn't think I'd say that!)
Aquaman - 8.5
Supergirl - 8 (could be a hot mess)
Woner Woman 2 - 8 (could also be a hot mess, also - 80's stuff is getting tired)
The Batman - 8 (I have faith)
Birds of Prey - 7.5
Batgirl - 4 (If Whedon is still attached)
The Flash - 6 (Ezra Miller, the costume, effects etc are terrible)
Phoenix Joker - 7
Leto Joker - 9
Black Adam - 8.5
New Gods - 10!!
Booster Gold - Don't think it will happen
Deathstroke - Don't think it will happen
Cyborg - Don't think it will happen
Green Lantern Corps - Don't think it will happen
Man of Steel sequel - Don't think it will happen

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic