Forums

Topic: The Marvel Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 545

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge If have not seen Into the Spider-verse yet, you should. One because it is fantastic film in its own right and my favourite Spider-man movies of recent times. And also it has Miles Morales as the main character, so if you want more Miles then that is the place to go.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@LtSarge I actually think the first Amazing Spider Man is way better than it has any right to be. There are a couple of dumb reboot-isms like the re-tooled "great power" speech but other than that, I really liked it. I especially loved the scene with the cranes, when you see Spider-Man there and it really comes across well that he is young, weak and inexperienced.

I wish they'd carried on the style of the first film for the second but unfortunately they didn't. It's completely different and drops all of the theme, atmosphere, filming techniques and even characterisations of the first film. Feels like it's part of another series entirely and personally I feel like its easily the worse spider man movie.

I'll also second Johnny's recommendation for Miles Morales Spider Verse. Easily one of my favourite spider man films too. Just oozes style and is a good time from beginning to end!

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah, the first TASM was so much better than I remembered when I watched it again. The second…. was not.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BearsEatBeets

@LtSarge @JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution @nessisonett I think all 3 of the actors have done pretty good jobs as Peter/Spidey but actually think Andrew Garfield is my favourite of the 3. He most closely resembles the character I read in the comics.
I share the sentiment the first 'Amazing' is fairly good but the second is a wreck. It's like they didn't learn any lessons from 3 and try to cover too many characters/plots and it ends up a mess. I feel bad for Andrew as his version had a lot of potential.
Oh yes and Into the Spider-verse is great. Hopefully the sequel will be as good if not better.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nomither6

@BearsEatBeets i’m not familiar with the comics like that but, was peter parker a hipster skater kid in the comics ? i thought peter parker was an awkward shy quiet nerd and spider-man was his alter-ego .

nomither6

nessisonett

@nomither6 They’re from the 60s, Peter was less a nerd in that sense and more just a smart kid which alienated people like Flash Thompson. And besides, he started regularly hanging out with that crowd not long after getting his powers. Those movies were pretty accurate, he was too poor for new stuff so looked from the outside like he was a hipster with outdated tech and old clothes. He wasn’t even that shy in the comics, he’s a bit of a nutter in the first few issues, constantly wishing he could beat the crap out of Flash until the whole Uncle Ben speech.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett @nomither6 One of my major gripes with the "TASM" (and to a lesser extent the Raimi) movies is that they fell into the age old Hollywood trap of casting actors clearly in their middle to late twenties as high schoolers. Nobody is buying it.
PS Another upvote for "Spider-Verse" from me. It's my favourite "Spider-Man" movie so far - I even imported a 3D Blu-Ray copy from Germany!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets I'm not a huge fan of the Tom Holland ones. Didn't like the teenage/school stuff in them. And the amount of stupid decisions made by some of the characters in the last one stated to annoy me eventually.

Kidfried

@LN78 To me Spider-Man gets a pass with regards to casting people in their late twenties. Reason being is that you need to be fit and strong for that role. It's incredibly hard to find someone who is 18, a great actor with experience, who also has the physique for a film like this. There's a reason no Spider-Man film has ever cast someone younger.

Kidfried

LN78

@Kidfried Tom Holland (and his supporting cast) look the appropriate age, though. How hard can it be? And if finding actors who looked correct was a problem, why did they have to set the movies in a high school? There are tons of comics about college age (or even later) Spidey - and it would've made for a cool point of distinction with the Raimi flicks.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@nomither6 Thankfully @nessisonett has pretty much covered for the tardiness of my response.

@JohnnyShoulder that's fair, there are certainly aspects of the Tom Holland ones that don't quite work for me too. I wasn't big on Ned's character especially his sudden 'talent' in the last one. I am interested where they go with the next one though as the last film kind of wipes the slate and puts him in a more interesting place. No-one knows his identity and he seems to be without any Stark tech. Plus he will be in college era.
Not sure where they are with a new Spidey film at the moment and if they are still working within the Disney MCU or if that deal has now finished.

None of them have completely nailed it for me, with the first 2 probably the best efforts.

Oh yeah and another disappointment with the Amazing sequel is that it ruined the chance of us seeing Felicity Jones' version of Black Cat. Although I find it interesting that 'Far From Home' could potentially open the door to them going back and doing more alternate universe stories of the other Peter Parker's. Get Tobey Maguire back and do a middle age version of Spidey for a change 😁

BearsEatBeets

Pizzamorg

I feel like a real contrary fairy when it comes to the Spider-Man movies. I love Raimi's first Spider-Man film, don't much care for the others. I really liked Amazing Spider-Man and the sequel is a weird one as it might be my favourite Spider-Man movie out of all of them, while agreeing it is a total mess. I also didn't really like either of the Holland Spider-Man movies, although I really enjoyed No Way Home, but that was far more due to the crossover elements.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

BearsEatBeets

@Pizzamorg The scenes with all 3 Pete/Spideys certainly are the highlight of the film and probably help gloss over other weaker aspects that will probably become more apparent with repeat viewings. I'll admit I don't fully understand how the whole 'forgetting him' aspect actually works. Do MJ, Ned and Happy etc have random blank holes in their memory of the times they were interacting with Peter?

BearsEatBeets

LtSarge

@Th3solution Yeah I found out that there's very little Spider-Man content on Disney+ when I first started using the service. I do think that more has been added since then. I know that Homecoming is on there, but not the other two MCU movies. Hopefully The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is on there (even though it doesn't seem to be as good as the first one) because it's been removed from HBO Max.

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check out Into the Spider-Verse. I absolutely love Miles as Spider-Man, so I'm looking forward to checking out that movie.

@ralphdibny @BearsEatBeets I was under the impression that the first Amazing isn't considered a good Spider-Man movie but it seems that I'm wrong. I'm glad that I watched it then! Too bad about the sequel, but I think I'll watch it anyway just to form my own opinion of it.

It's also interesting because they made games based on each Amazing movie, whereof the first one is considered good and the second one is considered bad. I actually bought the first game on PS3 so now I'm looking forward to playing it after having watched the movie. I think I'll skip the second game though lol.

LtSarge

Pizzamorg

BearsEatBeets wrote:

@Pizzamorg The scenes with all 3 Pete/Spideys certainly are the highlight of the film and probably help gloss over other weaker aspects that will probably become more apparent with repeat viewings. I'll admit I don't fully understand how the whole 'forgetting him' aspect actually works. Do MJ, Ned and Happy etc have random blank holes in their memory of the times they were interacting with Peter?

I think I watched it like a year ago, so I am pretty far removed from the mechanics of it all at this point. But I do remember vividly even at the time thinking that over time the sheer wow factor of the movie even existing at all will wear off and in turn I'm sure I'll see more and more holes because of that. But that first watch is so good, I almost don't mind. Save for a select few favourites, I've never been one to "burn the tape out" with a movie. Many just watching the once, or once or twice, is more than enough for me, so I am not sure I will ever get to the point where the holes become too much to bear.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Man, Thanos got old!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic