Forums

Topic: The Health, Fitness and Exercise Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 643

ralphdibny

@AgentCooper well done mate! I haven't counted the days but I think I'm roughly the same without alcohol. I stopped drinking in early/mid December. Admittedly I didn't drink much anyway but I stopped for similar reasons I think. Basically I just wanted to not have my mood influenced because my moods had become super intense.

Alcohol is such a wild card as well, like it can make things much better or much worse so always a bit of a gamble. I haven't missed it though to be honest. I think my main day associated with drinking were board game days/nights but I switched out for Punk AF and it's fine tbh

Totally feel you on the food replacement though and addictive personality. I need to curb it. I attempted to do so and started recording calories on the app a couple weeks ago but Easter was particularly hard on me unfortunately :/

I'm going on holiday next Friday so I reckon I'll try and start it all up again once I've got back from that. Hopefully there won't be many interruptions to a regular schedule and by the time I do get interrupted (a wedding in June) I'll be in a good enough place to write it off as "one weekend" instead of "omg I've failed, there's no point in carrying on!" šŸ˜… which is how I felt about that middle of the night tub of ice cream I had on Good Friday šŸ˜­

See ya!

Bundersvessel

@render @Thrillho Thanks for the advice and support gang, really appreciate it. I just need to get out there and get some miles under my feet as they say, incidentally I now have a Strava account and have charged my tracking watch šŸ‘ Iā€™ll let you know how Iā€™m getting on , some accountability might be good for me.
@ralphdibny Congratulations on your milestone too, I hope it continues to benefit you. Recording calories is not something that I thought would work but Iā€™ve found it to be really beneficial for me, especially rewiring my brain on portion size. As the other guys have said above, a little bit of what you like can be ok but you have to find the balance. If youā€™re giving up one thing it can be harder to curb other cravings so I wouldnā€™t judge yourself too harshly, as long as youā€™re on the right track hopefully youā€™ll find a healthy balance that works for you.

Alcohol has been fairly problematic for me over the years and Iā€™ve certainly been here before on my attempts at sobriety. I used to look at people who could have a couple of pints and move on with their lives with envy but now Iā€™ve accepted that will never be an option for me and Iā€™ve reconciled myself to that, there is so many other wonderful things to occupy my time with.

Friendly Neighbourhood Discord

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Breath of the Wild [Switch] / Sea of Stars / Lies of P [XB]

PSN: Bundersvessel

Thrillho

@AgentCooper One of the other things I find useful with Strava for running is using the audio cues to check my pace. I have it set to tell me every km my distance, overall time, and current pace.

The latter was useful when starting out to make sure I was going at a steady pace and not pushing too hard, whereas now I use it more for the other way around!

You can set it to update you every half km too which is more useful for shorter runs. If youā€™re not doing couch to 5k (or doing your first continuous runs) it can help with pacing and itā€™s really nice to help see when youā€™re making improvements.

Good luck though as the first month or so getting into/back into it is always the hardest.

Thrillho

Bundersvessel

A little update on where things are. Iā€™ve been attaching a walk with the baby onto the walk to school of a morning, and have done about 3miles or so each day and a impulsive 7 mile day. Feeling vastly more positive and hope to add a few runs in the coming weeks

I joined strava too to keep track of everything, feel free to friend me https://www.strava.com/athletes/112853545

Hope everyone is well šŸ‘

Edited on by Bundersvessel

Friendly Neighbourhood Discord

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Breath of the Wild [Switch] / Sea of Stars / Lies of P [XB]

PSN: Bundersvessel

render

@AgentCooper And there I was expecting some sort of race to middle earth šŸ˜€

render

render

@render NZ is a great destination, spent two weeks there many moons ago. Visited both North and South Islands but didn't do any of the LoTR locations as those tours didn't really exist back then. Would happily go back to check them out though.

render

Fight_Teza_Fight

So I turned 31 a couple of weeks ago. My wife ā€˜wantedā€™ me to get blood tests.

Iā€™m not really a fan of needles so I made her do it as well (& we had a bet on whoā€™s healthier- due to Itā€™s Always Sunny) as weā€™ve been talking about trying. In the end we got everything checked.

Long story shortā€¦sheā€™s definitely healthier than me. However my glucose levels were higher than normal.I donā€™t even have sugar in my tea/coffeešŸ˜…, but they said itā€™s common in my ethnic group (Asian/German).

Get your bloods done people! I was incredibly surprised that my body is kind of ok.
Also replacing Basmati rice with Red/Brown rice when Iā€™m on nights moving forwards.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Zuljaras Honestly thatā€™s what surprised me. I did ā€˜party hardā€™ at Uni, but in general Iā€™m pretty responsible. Not a dessert or even a sweet guy, so when I was told that my glucose levels were up I was likeā€¦ whatšŸ˜…

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@Fight_Teza_Fight I have blood tests at least every 2 months (have one on Wednesday actually) so I am pretty used to them. Actually the worst bit is when they stick the cotton wool on with tape and I have to pull it off šŸ˜‚

I eat a lot of rice, moved to brown rice for a while but struggled digesting it. I think if you eat a lot of it see how it goes, you might find after a couple of weeks itā€™s not settling so well. My gut health ainā€™t the best though, sensitive chap I am.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 @Zuljaras @Zuljaras I have never heard about these blood tests before. Weird to me, though it does make sense.

I don't think it's a thing or even possible easily where I'm from.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried Iā€™ve got an ongoing medical issue so I have them as part of that through NHS, Iā€™m not sure about Teza, I think if you want them as a general curiosity youā€™d need to pay and have them done privately though. They donā€™t check me for everything, having said that.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 Enjoy your blood test tomorrow!
Itā€™s not really super surprising that something like this would show up as both my parents take more pills than there are days in the week (including blood pressure which is what I expected). @Kidfried @Zuljaras As Kyle mentioned they donā€™t check for everything, but I think ours was like 9 (or) 11 categories. I had to get one done anyways as, per the doctor but I have literally put it off for almost a year.
Also I have had red rice just twice since. I donā€™t hate it, but itā€™s not the same. Just so bland.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

render

I don't think I've ever actually had a blood test. I do donate blood as often as I'm allowed so as it gets tested before it gets passed onto a hospital I must be generally free of anything really nasty e.g. syphilis šŸ˜….

Definitely don't know where I stand glucose or anything else wise though. As I'm mid forties now perhaps I should check that out. I already know there's things I could do better as I do have a few drinkies through the week and perhaps don't eat the best all the time but generally try and keep on the straight and narrow and try to eat a good few healthy meals as time permits.

Edited on by render

render

kyleforrester87

My inflammation is pretty crazy at the moment, been in so much pain - I saw my blood test results and Globulin g/L was 47, normal range is 20-35 so this seems high and reflects the pain I am in. Honestly, Saturday was so bad I actually cried for the first time in forever haha.

I'm having to nuke it with 750-1000mg Naproxen per day now with some stomach protection drugs to boot, and ride it out until I can see the rheumatologist and get my biologic drug changed. Feeling a lot better today for it but overall I haven't been this bad since my 20's when this arthritis all kicked off.

I think this summer is a bit of a write off as far as my cycling goes but it is what it is!

kyleforrester87

render

@kyleforrester87 That sucks mate, hope you get sorted sooner rather than later. Being in pain all the time can't be pleasant, especially when you don't know when or if it's likely to end. Do you usually see the same person regarding ongoing treatment or you just get referred to a different person each time?

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic