Forums

Topic: The Health, Fitness and Exercise Thread

Posts 481 to 500 of 643

kyleforrester87

@render Well done, being so close to the Peak District is some easy motivation! I am still struggling this week, I had a pretty big ride last weekend and I must still be recovering. Big rest for me this weekend I think.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

render

@kyleforrester87 I'm close enough that I can get over to some parts in about 30 - 40 minutes by car. The really hilly bits are still over an hour away though so that's why you need an entire day really. There's some really great ascents and descents for both running and riding though so well worth the effort. Good to get some recovery too though. I feel like I've been in that phase way too long.

render

ralphdibny

Not had a great start exercise-wise to 2023. I've just been far too busy with my relationship, with chores, with DIY projects, with lots of stuff really. So lots of emotional and mental exercise which has been good but not so much physical exercise unfortunately.

I did have a loss of appetite over Xmas and into the new year due to emotional stress which was quite good in a way. I thought I was losing a kilo every couple of days until I realised my kitchen floor is bumpy (despite being hard still) and the scales give different readings depending on where they are placed on the floor. I was hoping to keep that loss of appetite up but I've started eating for fun again now instead of just sustenance. I'll have to sort that out at some point.

I also have a bunch of injuries, beyond the usual knees and feet. I think the least NSFW injury I recently acquired has been my wrist. I bandaged it up for a few weeks, hasn't really gotten better. Then I bought a £22 splint bandage from boots a couple weeks ago and it still hasn't really gotten better. I've been hoping it will but I probably need to go to the doctor's about it at some point. I am really worried about doing so in case it's some life changing condition. It's my right wrist so I use it for a lot of stuff 😭

On the plus side, I have cut out alcohol and will continue that for the foreseeable future. Only been drinking Punk AFs if I'm out. I've also cut down on caffeine massively by going for caffeine free pepsi max. I'd say I do drink slightly more coffee now but I don't mind cos I'm not drinking the caffeinated pepsi. I also drink a lot more water because (I know it's bad for the environment) I've been buying bottled water. So there's a bit more of a familiar ritual of drinking from a packaged item instead of the tap which I can never be bothered with normally

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@ralphdibny get your wrist looked at, or at the very least start doing some regular but basic physio to see if it starts improving. Just google a few basic stretches and exercises. Obviously depends on why it hurts, but the sooner you start physio the better if it’s just a muscle injury. How’d you manage it?

Because of my arthritis I am always “picking up injuries” but the vast majority of the time it’s just my immune system attacking various muscles. Today my right knee hurts, just woke up like that 🤦‍♂️ Rest is rust as far as my condition goes so I wouldn’t generally wrap anything up/stop using it if I know it’s caused by arthritis, even though it might hurt to keep using it. Subsequent muscle loss around the injury happens fast and it just takes longer to recover. Took a long while to learn that.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 ah mate I have no idea how I did it. I thought I slept on it funny a couple months ago but it's lasted so long that I must have done something else to it without realising. The fact it's gone on so long too makes me wonder if it's broken or if it's arthritis or something.

Thing is, I haven't rested it at all 😕. Been doing lots of furniture mods at home so lots of sawing, sanding, drilling, lifting etc. Luckily I got the splint before I started the most strenuous work because i reckon I could have made it a lot worse.

In terms of pain, it hurts most when it's extended to its current full range of movement (which isn't much range to be fair). So bent back (like a push up position) and bent sideways toward the thumb and to a lesser extent bent sideways toward the little finger and also bent forward. When I'm not wearing the splint I have to ball my right hand up into a fist if I need leverage to get out of bed or up off a chair or anything. Like it needs to stay straight or it causes pain.

Other actions that cause pain include turning doorknobs (I noticed this at a mates house as I have handles rather than knobs), turning the key in the door or the car ignition, lifting the kettle, emptying the dehumidifier (it's kind of an odd angle), drying myself after a shower, using a computer mouse, using my phone if I have to stretch my thumb to anywhere above the on screen keyboard and also like flapping wet clothes before hanging them up so they don't dry as creased. I've just been wearing creased clothes for the last month and a half 😅. It's also pretty weak too, like I can't really open certain bottles if they've been screwed on too tightly.

But your right though, I need to book and go to the GP. Unless I should just turned up at A&E, I'll likely have to jump through less hoops to get an x-ray if I do that method. That muscle loss you mention does sound pretty scary in terms of its longer term impact. But then again I don't really have much muscle on my forearms anyway 😅

I just have so much on at the moment, between my partner, other physical projects I'm doing that will ultimately improve my mental health, losing my grandad 2 and a half weeks ago and the funeral coming up in a week and a half. I just don't know when I'll have time. It's clear that it's gone on long enough though so I should probably do something about it.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

render

@ralphdibny It does sound like you are due getting that checked out. I have problems with both my wrists from time to time. Mine I’m pretty sure is tendinitis and can be as mild as my wrists feeling a bit sore to getting quite bad pain down to my elbows. It’s worse when I’ve been on a long off-road ride due to hanging on to the bars and pulling the brakes more.

Like yours doing certain things like holding a phone or turning a door knob can be quite painful. Also annoyingly playing games can be bad at times, especially if the game uses the adaptive triggers a lot. Hopefully yours will be a simple enough fix.

render

kyleforrester87

@ralphdibny sorry to hear that - really does sound like you should get it looked at, just to understand if you should be resting or or carefully rehabilitating it.

Understand it’s not easy though, we tend to ignore these things. Fortunately it’s usually ok in the end, though.

Waiting to see the GP is always annoying too. Perhaps worth paying for a physio as a one off if you can justify it.

kyleforrester87

Octane

After the annual December slump, I've been picking up running again, slowly getting back to the pre-holiday levels. 4:20-4:25/km was the pace goal I had last summer, but I keep getting stuck around 4:40 at the moment. I blame it on the miserable weather. I also started going bouldering with friends, my hands hurt as hell though, but it's a nice change of pace from the regular cardio exercises.

Octane

Thrillho

Good uppage as I’ve been meaning to ask how others have been getting on.

I managed to continue my streak of 100k total distance, 2,000m total climbing, and a half marathon in Jan (having managed it each month in 2022) and should hit the same this month with a half marathon race next week in Dartmoor with 700m climbing.

I did a 24.5k run last month with 750m climbing and then have a race next month on the coast which is HM distance with almost 900m elevation!

You’ve had some pretty impressive routes on the bike though @kyleforrester87 and was the zwift a Crimbo gift?

@Octane That’s a pretty impressive pace to be keeping up. 4:50 is a comfortable pace for me on the flat but most of my routes have some climbing and I try to do mostly off road/trail too. There’s one downhill km on tarmac on a loop I do which I can push to a sub 4 min segment if I really go for it!

@ralphdibny Sorry to hear of the injury and other life issues. Can you book in to see an NHS physio near you as part of or separate to the GP? They’ll often have a way better idea of the problem and what can be done. An X-ray doesn’t sound like it would help if it’s ligament/tendon etc. and it kind of sounds like “tennis elbow” from what brings on the pain.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tennis-elbow/

How is the peanut butter/PB diet going though?

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@render @kyleforrester87 cheers peeps, I've bit the bullet and filled in an online form for the GP. Just awaiting their response! Thankfully not affecting my gaming too much thanks to modern ergonomic controllers 😅 but I'm more worried about scratching my controllers with the splint lol. Haven't been gaming too much lately anyway, I seem to be very busy!

@Thrillho cheers bud. I don't think it's tennis elbow cos it's on the wrist rather than the elbow. Not sure if it's tendons either cos it feels very different from tendon pain I've had in the past. I've enquired at the GP anyway so I've taken the first step!!!

Ahhhh the PB diet is out the window more or less. I still don't eat a lot of meat anyway to be honest but I have occasionally bought bacon (the expensive nitrite free stuff) and sandwich hams and stuff. Also been eating a fair amount of eggs, milk and butter.

On the flip side, I've binned off alcohol for the last 2 and a half months (helping with stress), massively reduced my caffeine intake to a maximum of 3 drinks a day (helping with sleep) and am slowly lessening the nicotine strength of my vape to 6mg down from 12 (not sure what this is helping with but can't be a bad thing to be less addicted to something 😅). So healthy steps in some directions even if I'm taking steps back in others!

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@Thrillho I had been weighing up getting a turbo trainer all year, but more important things kept coming up that took priority. I didn't go off the idea though and I didn't see me doing much outdoor training through the winter so I pulled the trigger on the Zwift Hub. I'd have got one in November, but I missed the initial stock and had to wait until it came back in. The price it's on for, it competes with turbos nearly twice the cost, so it was worth waiting.

It's a really efficient way to smash out a hard session quickly. Much harder overall than my typical outdoor riding, which can still be intense but not to the same degree. I did my first e-race last night, absolutely killed myself, but it was really interesting drafting off groups/working as a team to make sections easier and then attacking. Nearly threw up after the final sprint across the line. Can't walk properly today!

kyleforrester87

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Ah, of course it’s your wrist but the same thought process applies if it’s happening with specific movements. Rest and ibuprofen all the way!

Those all sound like sensible steps with your diet etc. I don’t drink coffee but for tea I only have decaf at home as it tastes no different to me. And I only asked about food as I’d love to try more veggie stuff but finding easy recipes for mid week dinners is not so easy!

@kyleforrester87 It’s pretty cool that it so sensitive to be able to use the aerodynamics like that. And that guy almost got you on the finish line!

I do enjoy seeing your virtual rides in the sea on Strava though

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

@Thrillho ah, that wasn’t the finish line! But he was creeping up on me for a few miles, and I was trying to catch a small group ahead. Eventually I let off enough for him to come on, then we used each others draft to catch up to the small group a couple of miles later. We had a group of 5 for the final 5-6 miles, including the guy in the vid, and I came 2nd in that group! (But near the back of the category B's overall!)

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

@Thrillho yeah that's kind why I became a bit disillusioned with the p.b diet. I just kind of ended up eating a lot of processed vegan food which was delicious and great but probably not that healthy so I did wonder what the point was. I do still eat all that stuff though so I can certainly give you some pointers if you like!

The consensus seems to be more that whole foods are better than simply going plant based. Which is a much harder thing to do because to me at least, it takes a lot more effort and prep than shoving some fake chicken burgers or Linda McCartney sausages in the oven. Also I'm not a huge fan of pulses, lentils and grains which are normally like the base ingredient in most of these wholefood recipes.

That being said, I did buy a bag of lentils a few weeks ago with the intention of making some soup or something healthy. I just haven't found the culinary spark to actually do anything with them yet! 😅

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny Mixing lentils, beans and pulses in with your LM (or whatever) meat pieces or mince is the way forwards - tons of milage for curries and Mediterranean style recipes.

LN78

kyleforrester87

I used to eat/drink alot of smoothies, I started basic but by the end of it I was putting all sorts of craziness into them. In the end I kind of overdid it and stopped - I should get back on them but I don't trust myself to not go nuts again!!

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@neonpizza all that sounds really good though, and a lot healthier than your username implies. My diet isn't totally awful, but I definitely balance out the good stuff with equal amounts of crap.

kyleforrester87

Thrillho

@ralphdibny My wife can be a bit fussy with some food stuff so it’s hard to go more vegan. Most veggie dishes she likes tend to be filled with cheese

Pasta is normally quite easy but I can only have so much of that in a week. We probably manage two veggie meals a week, one fish meal, and then the rest with meat. Normally most meat comes from leftovers from the Sunday roast so it’s decent stuff from the butcher.

Apparently there’s going to be quite a shortage of stuff like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers over the next few weeks due to cold weather in Mediterranean and North African countries that normally supply them too.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho oh yeah, cheese is just amazing 😅. I can live without meat but not dairy or eggs.

I saw your comment yesterday and thought I'd try and buy some salad cos we have veggie burgers in the freezer that need eating. Only came home with a cucumber, no tomato 😅. I'm sure we will find some tomato's in the coming days

@Kidfried cheers for the tip and the recipe! I'm actually not a huge fan of dhal, I'll eat it if it's been made but I'd never choose to make it. I think it's just the curry taste + lentil pasty texture combo. I think I like both separately but not together. Or maybe I just had too much dhal when my brother first went vegan and Ive gone off it a bit now😅

I wonder if I can take that recipe and change it a bit though, make it a bit more italian-y and less indian-y by swapping the curry spices for tomato's.

Hmmm, I may actually try and use the lentils tonight if I can work something out for them!

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic