Forums

Topic: The Health, Fitness and Exercise Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 643

Voltan

@render Thing is when you're in a band on tour, you're usually going back an forth between long periods of waiting without the ability to go anywhere (most of it in a van) and being in an awful hurry
But yeah, you can still meet cool people and the Finns were always very nice to us

Voltan

ralphdibny

@Thrillho nice, sounds like you had a good base to work from. Those times from 2014 are nothing to sniff at!!

@render rest up bud! I'm still taking some time for my leg to heal. Don't want to go back too early.

I have a couple of mates that live out in Finland which is why I've holidayed there a couple times. I've only seen Helsinki and different forests and walking paths a good few miles away from there. Maybe we will travel a bit further next time I go!!

See ya!

render

@ralphdibny That's great to have friends out there and gives you the edge over most tourists as you've got a bit of insider knowledge. Walking in the forest is always a great experience and something I've grown to appreciate a lot more of late.

I'm feeling a lot more rested today but even so I'll give it a few more days before I do anything crazy. That'll probably coincide with some stupidly hot weather though and I'll maybe have to reconsider that

render

ralphdibny

@render haha yeah, the heat can be a killer! I just need mild to moderate all year around and then I'll be happy 😂

See ya!

ralphdibny

I did a 5K today. I think I did anyway. My two apps recorded two distances 😅. It was good. I actually put music on (Muse's The 2nd Law) and got my best time at 35 mins. The album lasted for most of it too, I think only one song played after I hit 5K and stopped running. I imagine I run faster to the beat of the music.

Anyway, I thought I'd post because I haven't posted in ages and I've been rubbish at fitness lately. That week in Cornwall wiped me out and my activity slowly decreased until it was basically nothing. I haven't done yoga in weeks or any runs. I did one 2.5K last week but I felt really rough so I stopped. I thought I'd do a shorter run today to get back into the swing of things but ended up going the distance.

Going back to work hasn't helped. I seem to have lots of responsibilities in addition to work so my time is getting taken up a lot and I'm often too knackered to or don't feel like doing exercise. I've put on about 5lbs in the last month or two as well through poor diet and lack of exercise

Going to try and keep going for runs here and there. No schedule, just want to keep up the ability to run 5K. Hopefully listening to music will help with that too. I really need to start doing yoga again as well. My job is really physical so working has completely fluffed up my back, neck, arms, hips and chest and everything is constantly stiff so I really need to do some yoga to alleviate all that pain and stiffness.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

render

@ralphdibny Well done on the run. It’s pretty tough to just go out and double the distance like that so great that you made it 👍.

Hopefully it’s given you the motivation to do more knowing that what you thought was impossible is totally possible!!

It seems that any job / activity can stuff you up if you do too much of it. Even working in an office / at a desk can be just as bad but in different ways. Sitting down is always the killer for me so I try not to do too much of it these days.

Congrats again though, I knew you could do it 😁

render

ralphdibny

Cheers! 👍 How are you getting on? Been out and about much? Did your injury heal up?

I do sympathise with the office RSIs, I get them mainly from er... Playing video games 😅. I felt like I was getting a bit of golfers elbow a couple weeks back but thankfully it wore off so nothing to worry about. I can probably attribute my stiff neck, arm and chest partially to it as well. Also the way I sleep doesn't help if I'm watching a bit of YouTube on my phone before bed.

Seated injuries depend on the seat for me. One of the places I work has the most comfortable office chairs, probably because they are an international mega news corporation (can't/shouldn't say the name) so they can afford to. Humanscale branded, so get on to HR to order some of them for your ergonomic needs! Some other jobs I go to have just got trash though. Those old fashioned office chairs where the plastic base digs into your legs and you'd probably break it if you didn't sit down carefully. I think a lot of companies are stepping it up though. I find more comfortable chairs on jobs than not these days.

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Nice one! And not too bad a time either based on your previous efforts.

I always run to music as I find it helps me zone out a bit more. Playing similar albums helps with pacing too as I know roughly where I’ll be for each track too.

Any thoughts on doing a ParkRun now they’re back up and…. running? I’d say you need to be trying to run once a week to keep up how you’re doing, add in a second of you can if you want to improve times/distances.

As for me, I’ve had a couple of weeks off after niggling the same hamstring again on a hilly run at the beginning of the month. Quite annoying after such a good July. I’ve been out in the kayak with the wife (and dog!) a couple of times though.

I also went wild swimming for the first time last weekend! My wife has been a few times and my parents got me a Dry Robe for my birthday so I thought it was time to join her. And blimey, the cold water really made me hyperventilate to start with. I managed about 15mins which wasn’t too bad for a first time.

Thrillho

render

@ralphdibny I'm not doing too bad thanks. Injury has definitely cleared up although my knee still feels a little tighter than usual but I think that's just tight hamstrings. I went out for a run at the weekend and only did 8km but it felt like a hard 8km. I just feel quite wiped out still so really need to try and pick my energy levels up a bit. I'm hoping to get another event in this year so I'll need to try and get out a bit more in the week and pick up my distances at the weekend to stand any chance.

Do you play a lot of golf? It can be really quite brutal on the body for what is seen as a fairly relaxing sport compared to some. There's a lot of explosive movement just like you get racket sports so it's easy to see why you end up with similar injuries.

You are right though, companies are definitely stepping up and realising that people need to have better options for working at a desk these days. There's also more businesses offering alternatives in the way of standing desks etc. so it's definitely getting better. We still aren't really built for office work though so not sure it's ever going to be perfect.

render

NedStarksGhost

Hey guys, didn't know about this thread. Apologies in advance for this long post, and for it being quite personal/serious. I want to really start taking my health and fitness seriously. I've spent way too many years now just drinking beer and eating junk. My weight has climbed to an embarassing amount, and the older I get the worse the anxiety of longterm issues is getting (in my late 20s now).

I was a fat kid in school and worked hard to lose weight in college and further in uni. I got quite low down, and was for the first time considered skinny. But it got worse once I started going out on the drink more and met one of my best friends in Uni. We both enjoyed a night out and would do it every week. I lost track, once I started working I found it harder to lose weight and stick to a healthy diet and regime. Now I'm at the point where I basically gave up and just "enjoyed life" which was a poor excuse to over indulge.

My partner and I have agreed we need to start doing more to eat better. I thought a good starting point would be we pick 10-15 meals to learn to cook from near scratch so that way we are eating better, fresher ingredients. We've picked meals that we think can be nutritious and quite healthy. I am also looking to incorporate more exercise, I'm thinking of getting up earlier and going for a walk with some music on, as I want to keep it low impact until my weight drops.

I have also made a personal decision to cut out beer for a couple of months to really get started and take it seriously. I want to avoid hangovers or being lethargic the morning after a small amount. I am planning on limiting my beer intake when I do have some again to no more than two pints/cans/bottles, and having it no more than once a month basically. I love beer, my partner and I are really into our craft beers and real ales. But if I have one it's like having one slice of pizza, near impossible because it tastes so good!

Just wanted to share this with you all as I start really taking this seriously again and working towards a healthy weight again.

NedStarksGhost

sorteddan

@NedStarksGhost
Go for a swim. Find you local council pool and take the plunge (pun intended). It's a fantastic workout and can start moderate and work your way up to distances or speed or whatever. I overcame the anxiety of going a few years back and now try to get there at least twice a week. It is one of my favourites things.
Or yeah walking is good start, I always tended to walk everywhere anyhow but occasionally get to go out into the countryside with work colleagues, some of the sights I have seen on these occasions have made me much more appreciative of the country and nature etc.
Anyhow, good luck with it and from my experience the motivation to get up and start is the hard bit, when your doing it it is actually enjoyable, you just need to avoid excuses and go for it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

NedStarksGhost

@Sorteddan thanks for the advice and stuff. I have considered swimming but I have quite bad eczema and chlroine tends to really flare it up, which is really frustrating! I am debating joining the gym at my local swimming centre however, might start doing weight training.

NedStarksGhost

sorteddan

@NedStarksGhost
Fair enough.
I am afraid of gyms, I assume they will be full of the type of people who go to gyms!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

render

@NedStarksGhost You've definitely landed in the right place. It's always good to get a bit of motivation and everyone needs that from time to time. I'm quite into exercise generally but even I need a kick every now and then, especially if I'm not feeling 100%.

It definitely sounds like you went through the same thing at school that I did. I was that kid who was fat and no good at sports. I hated anything to do with exercise because of it and it was only years later when I was in my 20s did I get back into it. Now I love running and cycling and just generally try and take care of myself because I want to keep going with those things.

I think a lot of the problems with people not having a healthy relationship with exercise stem from our days at school and that if we weren't put off of it at that early stage then we might all be a bit healthier now.

Definitely swimming is good to get into but if you have problems with chlorine then that isn't going to be an option unless you do a bit of wild swimming. I've got some friends who are quite into it but they live near somewhere where that's more of an option. Also you have to keep going through those winter months when it can be a bit tricker.

Running is a great one to start with as you don't need much kit and you can take your time getting into it. You don't need to run the whole distance to start with just pick up something like the couch to 5k and just give it a try. As you mention though you are already thinking about walking so perhaps that's something you can really get going on. It's especially good if there's anywhere nearby where it's slightly hilly as that will give you plenty of variation etc.

If you are thinking about getting into something like weight training then you don't necessarily need to do that at the gym. There are plenty of home options but also using body weight exercises are often just as effective. Take a look at something like pilates as that's great to strengthen your core and everything generally.

Often overlooked but standing up and doing stuff around the house rather than sitting down is a great way to lose weight. All the time you are sitting down you aren't burning anywhere near the number of calories that you could be standing up and doing something. It's definitely good to stay active and there can be many ways to do that. Because of my back problems I converted to a standing desk for work and that's helped no end to maintain weight as well as keep make me feel like I've earned a sit down at the end of the day.

@Sorteddan Agreed, that's why I dislike gyms too (no offence to anyone here that uses the gym 😂)!

render

zupertramp

Anyone heard from @kyleforrester87

Kinda wondering about his ride across the UK or whatever.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

kyleforrester87

@zupertramp hey, hey yes I am still around and at it - not much time for gaming recently but I’ve been cranking out 100-200 miles per week on the bike this year in training. Im at 4500 miles with 150,000+ feet of climbing for the year!

I don’t think I’ll get in anymore big rides now before the event which is in just over 2 weeks, but that’s ok as I don’t think there is any more benefit to be had from training at this point and I could do with some rest days. I’ll probably do another 150 total between now and then, with 3-4 days completely off the bike before hand.

I’m still buying things I’ll need (I’ve spent a small fortunate on what I assume will be single use items).

Also, I am struggling with a throat infection which 2 rounds of antibiotics have not beaten so I am hoping I can get on top of that in the next couple of weeks. Doctors appointment tomorrow 🤞🏻

I waxed my legs though in anticipation, what do you reckon? 😘

https://i.ibb.co/WWMBRtx/C9575-F65-8-BE0-4-BB0-8-BBD-4551-F28...

https://i.ibb.co/fMm20cz/598-B1-A80-24-F2-45-B4-BBC1-5-AA7137...

I’ve been told I look like a drumstick lolly 😂

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-wcsku/images/stencil/2048x204...

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

NedStarksGhost

hey @render, yeah same deal I just associate exercise as negative. I did hit a phase of doing religiously for 3 months when I was 20 but it soon fizzled out, the results were amazing though. I have seen Couch to 5k and that looks a good way to do it. My only worry is my weight putting too much pressure onto my ankles and knees as I'm quite heavy at the moment.

I like the idea of standing up more often actually. I'll try and do that more often. I did actually invest in the Ring Fit, but I started to get pain in my ankle from the jogging on the spot. I may try that again and just try the walking mode instead, not sure yet.

I'll have a think and post some progress here when that eventually happens. Cheers for the advice!

NedStarksGhost

zupertramp

@kyleforrester87 ah good to hear. Was realizing I haven't seen your name come up recently and got to wondering.

Aside from the training, which I can't even imagine, it sounds like an incredible amount of planning goes into something like this. I didn't even give much thought to all the different bits of gear you'd need. I'd certainly be overwhelmed but it sounds like you've got it under control.

Wish you the best. Sucks about the throat infection but I'd hope that'd be cleared up by then. Or at least enough on the wane that it doesn't impede performance/endurance.

I was happy those pictures loaded quickly so I didn't have to explain to anyone nearby why I was looking at pics of waxed legs.

@NedStarksGhost hiya. Always good to see someone trying to step it up in the exercise department. Mostly I was just going to suggest, if you are already planning on maybe joining a gym and you're worried about putting too much strain on your ankles and knees, you might stick to ellipticals and low impact cardio machines. The pool is also a good way to take some of that pressure off while also providing a good cardiovascular workout, though I noticed you said this may be as bit of a no-go in your situation.

Anyway, apologies if I'm doling out any info you already know. I'm a big believer in real running/jogging/walking over machines but if joints are an issue there's nothing wrong with hitting the stationary bikes or stair climbers or whatever feels most comfortable to you for calorie burning and weight loss in the beginning.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

kyleforrester87

@zupertramp to be honest the logistics has been the biggest worry (bike transport at each end and separate personal transport at each end which involves coaches and trains), there was quite a high entry fee then I need all the equipment which I can’t buy too far in advance as it’s kind of weather dependant. Fortunately they do provide a tent each night so it’s one less thing to worry about having to handle each day. And the sponsorship, as fun and rewarding as it was to raise, was quite a challenge - I honestly didn’t think I’d raise as much as I did.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

NedStarksGhost

@zupertramp hey thanks for the advice. Unsure on the gym, but I think if I did go I'd use the machines as you say yeah. Would prefer to go running outdoors not on a machine but until the weights dropped I think it's best to stick to low impact. May even consider getting a stationary bike for the house for the time being!

Love your profile avatar by the way!

NedStarksGhost

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic