Topic: The Health, Fitness and Exercise Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 643

ralphdibny

I managed to get some decent walks in this week

Last Saturday - 9.15miles
Sunday - 5.32m
Tuesday - 7.56m
Thursday - 10.32m

I got giant blisters on my ring toes (don't know what else to call them lol, they are the equivalent toes to ring fingers). Not really painful but I guess they are worryingly large.

Yoga is ticking over still, got one more tape today to cap off week 10, then there's three weeks left of the programme before I shake things up a bit. That Below the belt tape I didn't like has become a bit more manageable. I'm pretty blown up by the time it gets to the space consuming airplane crunches anyway so it's good to take a breather through them.

I did a double tape day yesterday, Energy and Red Hot Core. I can normally grab my feet in the cannonball position but I think I must have been too tired by the second tape and I went to grab my feet for a cannonball but it pulled my shoulder out funny. I had to pause the tape for 5 minutes and carried on but only grabbed my shins for cannonballs after that

I've moved on to incline push ups this week too, I've managed 3 sets of 15 off the window ledge a couple of times. Not sure if it's just the angle I'm at but I think I feel it more in my chest/armpit area than my arms. I will try switching it up a bit and keeping my arms in tighter when I'm more used to it. Anyway, the goal for this difficulty is to get up to 3 sets of 40

I'm struggling with ring pull ups but still making progress, today I did one set of 30 followed by two sets of 25. Really hard to get those last few reps in. The goal for this difficulty is 3 sets of 30 comfortably before moving on

My weight seems to be hovering around what it was a couple of weeks ago, sometimes going up and sometimes going down. I'll continue with what I've been doing and see how it pans out in a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah and I have at least a 9 mile walk planned for tomorrow so that should be good.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Have you got some decent socks as that should help with blisters. And feeling it in your chest with the incline push ups is probably because you’re starting to use your pectoral muscles more now.

For myself, I had my first sub 50 min 10km run today (48:45!) and that took me to my first ever 100km month too.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho nah I don't have walking socks. I've been looking into them but you just never know with things you buy off Amazon. I'd have no point of comparison too as I've only ever worn Primark socks, so if I bought some off Amazon then I wouldn't even know if they are doing the job properly.

I also kind of need at least between 5-7 pairs of socks in order to keep up with my clothes washing schedule and a potential increase in walk frequency in a few weeks. So I'm not keen on spending £20 on one pair. I wouldn't be happy about it but I'd maybe spend between £5-£10 per pair if it facilitates my walking. It's daunting to think about when I'm looking in from the outside with no experience in these things. I reckon Decathlon will be open in a couple of weeks so I might have a look in there!

Nice one on the short 10K by the way, that's a good time! I think when I was doing the 5K app I was sort of doing the same amount of time for half the distance so I am impressed!

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Walking socks shouldn’t need washing after every use if you get proper ones. Cotton socks (and t shirts!) are more likely to get wet if you’re sweating and on your feet that could be causing blisters. You shouldn’t need to get mega expensive ones but I’d get them from a walking or sports shop.

You can always wear two pairs of socks as well so you get the friction between the layers of socks rather than your foot and the sock. The “thousand mile socks” you can buy just work on that principle as they have that layer stitched into them.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho socks that don't need washing...🤯. Lol I'm not sure I'd trust that even if it said it on the packet haha. The only items of clothing that I don't treat as single use are trousers, shorts and hoodies.

Cheers for the heads up though, I've been looking at a few more like that and done a search for "thousand mile socks" which has yielded a few results so that helps! Dual layer does sound a bit weird though, I'd feel like they'd be a bit slippery with fabric against fabric. I guess that's the point but still a bit weird!

See ya!

kyleforrester87

Well done guys, I have only managed 35 miles on the bike this week but I have a 65-75 mile ride tomorrow morning so I should not break my 100 mile per week minimum streak, which is currently on its 5th week - proud of that!! Hopefully I can keep that up as it wasn’t that long ago I would consider 100 miles being a big week. It should be a bit easier come April as I won’t be rotating between the office and home so much, which means my weekly commuter miles should be more like 45-55 per week alone 🤞🏻

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 cheers. Good luck with the ride tomorrow! Have you started/been doing that interval training regularly yet?

See ya!

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 ahh fair enough, it is what it is. You do what you can, when you can!

Nice one on managing that ride out this morning. Daylight Savings screwed me too. I was just about shifting my bed time earlier and earlier but now I'm another hour later 😅

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Thrillho cheers for the tip on the double sock by the way. I tried it today while I wait for myself to pull my finger out and actually buy some proper socks.

Definitely less friction! Less pain anyway (normally kicks in after about 5-6 miles). Can't say if it prevents blisters because I already have them but I think I will keep doing it until I get proper socks.

I chose two pairs of my thinnest socks which are ones that have these street fighter characters embroidered into the ankle (zangeif and guile in case your interested 😅- Primark always have a decent selection of cool looking socks, shame their equivalent t shirts feel like kids sizes compared to their plain t shirts) I'll have to dig around the sock draw and see if I can find any more socks that I deem thin enough to not overheat my feet by doubling up on them.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Ha, no worries!

It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes though. The thing limiting my running 12 months ago was that I kept getting blisters on my heels when I ran longer distances and when I had them, I had to stop until they healed. Since I bought some TwinSkin running socks, which are thin versions of the double layered ones, and I’ve had no problems since so I hope something similar helps you out.

Thrillho

render

Good work on getting out at the weekend all. It sounds like there's been plenty of activity even with the time change.

@Thrillho Good call on the TwinSkin running socks, they can be really good if you do struggle with blisters. I can also recommend Seal Skin water proof socks for when it's really cold and wet as keeping your feet dry on long runs / walks can make a big difference with condition of feet. I've seen a few guides from ultra runners where they go as far as chopping bits out of their running shoes to make them fit perfectly but never felt the need to go quite that far myself.

I've been struggling to run so much with my knee issue so stuck to doing shorter runs and a longer ride this weekend. Think I managed 60km on the bike and about 10km running 3km at a time.

render

kyleforrester87

Loving this nicer weather though, the commute home is going to be great. 18 degrees and sunny!! Sure beats 6 months of dark, wet hail stones in a biting headwind!

kyleforrester87

render

@kyleforrester87 Physio has suggested it's just a muscle imbalance and that I can keep running a little which is not great but better than not at all. I've been doing strengthening exercises as well and cycling seems to be ok so it's a bonus that I can at least carry on doing that.

render

kyleforrester87

@render ah nice. That’s good then. I’ve got a visible muscle imbalance in my legs, as a result of my arthritis and issues with Achilles’ tendons. It is getting a lot better though, although I do get knee pain in my weaker leg from time to time. It was kinda bad yesterday after the ride so I had 1 ibuprofen before bed and it feels fine today.

kyleforrester87

Thrillho

@kyleforrester87 I hate the warmer weather; anything ever 10 degrees and I’m a sweaty mess, plus it means more people to weave around on my runs!

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

@Thrillho haha I’d rather be warm for the first 10 minutes on my bike and sweating buckets for 4 hours than cold for the first 10 minutes and ok for 4 hours.

Maybe I’m only saying that because I’m fed up being freezing cold when I leave my house at 6am for the past 6 months.

I’ve got away with carrying less water over winter though. That stuffs heavy!

kyleforrester87

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87 @Thrillho I'm not big on the hot weather either. I've had my fair share of heatstroke and it's unpleasant, not to mention sun cream melting and dripping in to my eyes. (Bad childhood experiences with the factor 50 my mum insisted on caking me in 😂). Oh yeah and the blinding sun light, give me some grey clouds any day! (No rain tho, pls)

I like a nice moderate temperature, shorts and t shirt weather without the excessive heat or sweat. To each their own though!

Occasionally my partner drags me along to one of those popular hot countries for holidays. It would be grand except that I can barely step out of the shadow of the parasol on the balcony lol.

@render cheers for the heads up on the seal skins. Gutted about your knee. Inspired by my Spyro Cycling earlier in the year/around Xmas where I used the exercise bike while playing Spyro the dragon, I've been looking into a solution that won't require me to lug the exercise bike into my bedroom or sit on the uncomfortable saddle. I've seen these kind of mini under desk exercise bikes that people aparently use in offices just while they are sitting on their office chair. They don't look like they are worth the asking price but Ive been looking to pick one up second hand for less than a tenner, just so I can keep my legs moving while I'm playing video games. Do you reckon something like that could be useful for you as a low impact way to keep your injured knees moving? They sort of look a bit like a trash gimmick though, I haven't seen one that has unanimous good reviews which is why I wouldn't pay the RRP for it.

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic