Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,261 to 9,280 of 10,107

kyleforrester87

Ah, go back and read some topics from 2015, 2016. The place was totally different. I really miss some of the guys from back then, and if I am honest I relate to some of the crowd less now - you’re a lot smarter, I give you that - but I love you no less. Its not good or bad, just the way she goes. I blame Covid 😂

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 Very nice of you to say, sir. Cheers 🍻.

But the best Final Fantasy is still XII.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I wouldn't call it weird to be so spontaneously creative (and insightful, too). It'd be a shame if you didn't tap into that skill wherever possible, so at least you've got an outlet for it here!

We Brits don't have a full-blown equivalent for "March Madness" (at least, not that I'm aware of, but then I'm not big on sports) but we do have our moments. Can see how something all-encompassing would have a wider impact, though. Must be pretty cool in some ways, but a bit of a nightmare in others!

@kyleforrester87 Just a heads-up, you spelt "kyleforrester87" wrong in that second tag up there. Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

kyleforrester87 wrote:

@Th3solution @RogerRoger while I’m appreciating what I have, you guys are probably the two nicest people on the internet

And going back to what @ralphdibny and others were saying on the previous page, I think it’s great that you never know where life might take you.

I was thinking the other day about where I was 10 years ago when I was working as a second year doctor in Bristol and having a great time. But I’d never in a million years have guessed that by now I’d be living in Devon with a wife and baby! I’m very easy going about things though which is the polar opposite to the wife who always has 1 year, 5 year, 10 year plans. I can’t even think beyond next week most of the time

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Holy macoroni @Th3solution! I was going to say that sounds more like an actual experience you've had rather then something you made up on the fly but your answer to Rog seems to confirm it's at least somewhat fictional so... Bravo! 😅

... It took me a hot minute to realise what you were getting at there @RogerRoger with kyle and the tags...

Not gonna lie I completely forgot over my time off from here that you and your wife had not long had a baby @Thrillho! I feel really bad about that 😳

How are they coming along? All good I hope!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

@HallowMoonshadow There’s no need to feel bad about us having a baby 😁

All good though thanks. Five and a half months now so is becoming more and more of a little person. She’s only on the second centile so is tiny but means we get our moneys worth out of clothes (plus all the nice hand-me-downs from other NCT mums)!

I have no idea how anyone copes with more than one though 😳

Thrillho

Gremio108

All this talk of hot and cold air reminded me to ask you guys if you have any tips for my PS5, because it seems to be struggling a bit (hello again @HallowMoonshadow by the way!)

So recently my PS5 has been cutting out. By which I mean turning off with absolutely no warning, like someone has pulled the plug from the wall. It's only when I play Elden Ring, it doesn't do it with any other game (apart from once with Fortnite when the kids were playing it). I took the covers off and cleaned the dust out a bit (a nerve-shredding, pant-wetting exercise which felt like performing open-heart surgery ona loved one) but the issue persists. I'm guessing it's the console overheating, but I also think it could be the power cable. When it goes off, the console won't come back on again until you unplug it and plug it back in again, no matter how long I wait.

Anyone else had this issue? My wife and kids have piled about 100 hours into that wizarding simulator which is so popular, and it hasn't died once. That's on disc, like Elden Ring, don't know if that's relevant. It doesn't happen often but it's quite heartbreaking when it happens in the middle of a boss fight. Although it does allow me to pretend that I almost had them, when in fact they were kicking my arse.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

Also hello everyone else, hope you are all okay. Just been reading through the last couple of pages, some nice thoughts/ramblings there.

Edited on by Gremio108

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Yikes, sucks to hear about your PS5. Thankfully I haven’t had any consistent shut downs. I think maybe I had one early on where I thought I had overheated it, but I don’t think that was it. I think it was just a weird glitch and it was with an early version of Returnal which was trying to make the PS5 do things it wasn’t intended for. It hasn’t happened since.

I’m not very smart about these things but I don’t know if your shut-downs could be attributed to overheating, since you have to manually unplug it after each of these events. It seems if it was an overheating issue that you wouldn’t have to do that.

Either way, it makes me nervous to hear your problems because I would hate to have my console start cutting off in the middle of a play session.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution @RogerRoger I think we have something called a Super Sunday here in the UK. I think it's where lots of (non-American) football matches are played! You'd have to ask a football fan to confirm this though 😅

@Thrillho I hope all is well with you and the fam!

I think there is something to be said for going with the flow! Seems to have worked well for you especially with what sounds like the guiding hand of your wife! 😅

@Gremio108 hope you are well too! ✌️

See ya!

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yeah it's strange because sometimes I can play Elden Ring for hours and it won't happen at all. That made me think it might be some sort of glitch related to the game (and I even tried uninstalling and re-installing), but it's only been an issue on this new playthrough. I must have poured 150 hours in on my first run and it didn't happen once. It's annoying, although it does add a certain extra tension to proceedings. Like ER isn't stressful enough. As long as it remains an Elden Ring only issue I can live with it, but it's making me hesitant to shell out for Wo Long.

@ralphdibny all good thanks! Re 'Super Sunday' - back in my single days, my friends and I would often spend our entire Sunday in the pub, watching every match, sometimes even the Spanish game in the evening. We nicknamed it Sunday Service. The football was really just a backdrop for the daft conversations and laughs. Good times.

Edited on by Gremio108

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Yeah, I think we balance each other out. If we were both like me nothing would get done, if we were both like her then the anxiety in the house would be through the roof!

@Gremio108 Is the console still in warranty? May be worth speaking to Sony but very odd for it to be just the one game, especially as ER didn’t seem to be the most taxing game on the console.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Thanks for the 'Super Sunday' tag! Knew we had something on a far, far smaller scale but couldn't recall its name. I just thought each sports channel called it its own thing for branding, so it'd be the Sky Sports Super Sunday Spectacular Show or something.

@Gremio108 Eek, sorry to hear about your PS5 issues. I'd be nervous, too. Bravo on having the guts to disassemble the console but yeah, as Sol says, it doesn't sound like an overheating issue. The plug thing's a odd giveaway. Maybe it's a memory overflow problem? Do you properly shut your console down between sessions, or do you leave it on rest mode? The fact that the hardware needs a proper break from all power inputs before it can reboot itself makes me wonder.

I think Thrillho's right to suggest checking your warranty, especially if it happens on other games.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Thrillho Still in warranty yeah, I've considered sending it off to Sony but I was hoping to resolve it without the hassle. I checked to make sure that taking the covers off doesn't invalidate the warranty, not so sure about where I stand with taking the actual fan out for inspection though, so I held off doing that.

@RogerRoger Haha, thanks. It's not too bad, although it's annoying when it happens. It's trying to figure out the issue that's giving me the real headache. I've always been a major Rest Mode Refusenik. Only use it when I absolutely have to, such as when there's a big download and I have to go out. I even turn all wall sockets off at the mains each night. I would say that's my green credentials kicking in, but I think I'm just a skinflint.

I had a rare weekday off work today so I decided (in the name of science, of course) to go on an Elden Ring marathon while I had the house to myself. I played for seven hours straight and it didn't happen once. I even ran around aggro-ing every mofo in Limgrave to really put the console through its paces. I had knights, skeletons, giant dogs and god knows what else after me - at one point the action resembled a Benny Hill sketch on crack. I've decided it's one of three things:

• The overheating issue as debated by Sol and co above, perhaps only becoming a real issue when the house warms up due to the heating coming on in the evenings. I may have to relocate to somewhere more temporate to test this theory, or possibly start migrating annually like a goose.
  • The electrics in my house. They've always been a bit dodgy, to the point where I suspect my landlord hired the actual Chuckle Brothers many moons ago to wire the place up. Either that or some sort of power surge in my area each night, as it typically happens around 11pm. I have had it happen in the morning though as well, albeit not since February. I'm aware this is starting to sound a bit tin foil hat.
  • My Elden Ring disc is scratched/dirty/knackered and the game won't install properly. I can't see anything on there but it's definitely the only game doing it. Hopefully ER will show up on PS Plus soon, because I'd be interested to see if a digital version would suffer from the same issue.

Edited on by Gremio108

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Brilliant. Science thanks you for your sacrifice on behalf of advancement of recreational technologies.

You did say something which perked my interest there however in your list of prospective causes — a weird power surge doesn’t seem too far outside the realm of possibility. Do you have it plugged to a surge protector or is it plugged straight into the wall socket? I always use a surge strip for my electronics, but I have no idea if those things are all a big hoax to make us buy more crap for our entertainment centers. This could be proof positive that we all need those silly things!

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Gremio108 Oof, that sucks. If I have to worry about my PS turning off during playtime, I might not dare turn it on at all anymore.

(I don't know if it has gotten colder, but most of us have surely grown older. It's hard to make time for games and time to write about my experiences with them and daily life, while also doing these other things I need or want to do. For me my relationship with the forums might have become a tad more distant, not because I am less interested in you lot, but rather because I have trouble finding the time to only just read whatever's goin on.)

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Gotcha (and same here, regarding console rest modes).

After your experiment yesterday, and with the three possible explanations, I'd put most of my chips on it being a power surge. If you live in an area that's susceptible to 'em then I'd definitely support @Th3solution in advocating the benefits of surge-protected extension leads. All my important tech (consoles, tellybox, computer, etc.) is surge-protected, whereas all the stuff I don't care about (anything in my kitchen, for example) isn't. I can attest first-hand that surge protection isn't a con.

@Kidfried I agree with your point up there, by the way. We're all talkin' about how long we've been here and when you go beyond a couple years... well, that's a big chunk of life, and things change. It's gonna have an impact eventually, no matter how hard we try.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I've been reading this site for over ten years (somewhere near the end of the PS3 lifecycle), and next year will be the anniversary of my account on here!

The game of the year award for 2012 might be the first article I've read... not sure.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I'm fairly certain surge protectors do indeed work and are not a hoax. 😂

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic