Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,061 to 9,080 of 10,076

Anti-Matter

So, I still don't understand about being a Non Binary.
Is that a self statement to tell to other peoples if you are not either male / female so don't call me him / her because I don't even bothering of my gender even I have gender since was born?
What make peoples suddenly choose to be called a Non binary?
Was that about social life issue or a too liberal situation to express themselves without control ?

In term of liking peoples, how does non binary people liking peoples?
Are non binary peoples can have romantic interest with both same gender and opposite gender like bisexual peoples?
I still confuse to differ between non binary peoples and bisexual peoples in term of their romantic relationship behavior.
I can understand quickly for being lesbian (female like female), gay (male like male), transgender (sex changes from male to female and vice versa) but I still cannot understand how does it looks like to become a non binary peoples because from physically looking, peoples can tell if that people is male or female but the non binary peoples refused to be called a male or female.

Anti-Matter

JohnnyShoulder

Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Kudos for replying with actual useful information.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

I tell you what I learnt today, there was a Silent Hill arcade cabinet. Anyone ever try this? Apparently Heart of Gaming in Croydon almost have one running. Anyone ever played this?

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LN78

@roadhog In anonymous online conversations where aliases are frequently used and familiarity is often assumed I tend to use "them/they" as it covers all the bases (without risking offence) so to speak. I think it's becoming more of a conversational convention (particularly online) just in that respect.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@roadhog I use "they" online because of the anonymity of the internet. It's a generalised frame of reference which simply refers to a person or persons, at least in English. It isn't an exclusive non-binary term.

Take your own profile, for example; there's nothing about your username or picture which informs me of your gender, so at a glance I'd refer to you as "they" out of politeness, because you might be female, male, non-binary, intersex, trans, or any other gender, and "they" covers them all. If you'd rather a different pronoun, then it'd be up to you to ask (and indeed, looking at your post's signature, you indirectly do).

Of course, if your username was "Chad_Dudebro_XY" then I might risk using "he / him" without checking but again, in this day and age, it'd still be a risk!

Now sure, I understand that we're a melting pot of various cultures and languages around here, so there might be some additional layers of meaning to the term for some people, but generally speaking using "they" is the safest way to ensure that you're assuming nothing and being polite to everybody. Seems like that's precisely why it's been adopted by the non-binary community.

But I'm no expert. Heck, that article was simply the top result when I went and Googled for information last night, and it taught me a little more about a topic which I'll admit, I didn't know much about. I knew it was a good source when I got to the bit which says, "You don't have to understand what it means for someone to be nonbinary to respect them." If only more people applied that concept to... well, everything.

Good on you for asking, though. Same to @Anti-Matter as well. Because it does get confusing, and I think a lot of folks are hesitant to ask these sorts of questions nowadays, especially online. Which is a shame.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@roadhog yep, I use "they" to refer to anyone on here unless they have inferred their gender and I've seen that inference. It might be more of a British English thing to do though. In Britain, particularly in certain regions, people use collective pronouns even when gender is confirmed anyway. Some examples include:

One person asking for a drink at a pub - "Pour us a pint please mate"

Somebody shifting the blame for something on to a single other person - "but they did it!"

It's really not abnormal in Britain to use collective or gender neutral pronouns to describe people whether their gender identity is inferred or not. Anecdotally, I find questions about they/them from a linguistic perspective typically come from people who come from non-english speaking countries, especially from countries whose language is gendered for nouns and not just pronouns such as French and Spanish.

But yeah, I try not to assume gender as I really don't know what gender anyone is on here unless they have specified or I have spoke to them personally on PSN or something.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@roadhog no problem and honestly, I think your English is fine. At least from the few posts I've seen of yours (I don't check every thread). I wouldn't even have assumed you were non native speaker unless you asked that question and I checked your profile.

For what it's worth, I think it shows a great level of conscientiousness to ask that question and be understanding to the answers. 👍

I don't know if you updated your tag line or if it was always there but I see you've formalised your preferred pronouns so I will try to remember to refer to you as such if I ever need to!

See ya!

Fight_Teza_Fight

@roadhog I sort of get where you’re coming from. Yes the people or users are statistically speaking a minority, but with being part of an online community it’s hard to assume someone’s gender based on an avatar or username.
Unless I know someone I just go with ‘they’ as I’d rather not offend someone over an assumption.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

LN78

So far this morning I have: badly stubbed my big toe, broken two coffee cups, cut myself shaving and dropped all my mail in a puddle. Thanks Monday.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

MatthewJP

@LN78 today is dubbed Blue Monday too - most depressing day of the year...

PSN: mpquikster

LN78

@colonelkilgore That's one of my favourite songs of all time.
@MatthewJP That's also one of my favourite songs of all time.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I don't get paid until two weeks today, so next week will be my blue Monday.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Happy Scottish Independence Day I guess.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett I didn't get what you meant until I saw the news about the Gender Bill.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic