Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,141 to 8,160 of 8,621

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Totally understand where you're coming from. I've had those "appropriate action" replies before, too, and I have to hope that whoever evaluated our reports was compassionate and able to take strong action, rather than just somebody punching a clock.

And you're absolutely right, my account's settings are more open than I'm comfortable with as well, for the same reasons. Back when PS4 Communities were a thing, I was a member of the largest LGBTQ+ one. I wasn't hugely active, if at all, but it was an easy way of showing support on my PSN profile. Because of that, though, I got all sorts of unwelcome messages, so I briefly set everything to private before feeling bad for having to do so, and reversing the changes. It's a horrible decision to have to make.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

lolwhatno

Went to take a photo (at a semi professional place) to update my passport and I realized that I don't know how to smile.
Not going to share the picture (to stay anonymous) but it's a mix of a "not funny, didn't laugh" face and a slightly angry, really upset face. I was just trying to not smile and not frown at the same time, it shouldn't be this hard!
At least it will (hopefully) give a good laugh to the family group, so there's that.

"None of you is a true believer until he wants for his brother (in Islam) what he wants for himself"
That's been my Motto for a few years and I try to applicate it in the smallest and biggest things (living the cold milk for someone else? )

render

@lolwhatno My son had exactly this same problem in that he couldn't just not smile. He looked like some kind of demonic child that would probably kill you in your sleep. I was scared anyway. In the end we selected the best of a bad bunch and that's now going to live with him for the next 5 years 🤣

render

lolwhatno

@render lmao! I think it's because I don't smile often at all, I maybe should force myself to, until it becomes natural. Not that I'm unhappy, for these past few months I feel like I'm constantly vibing (humming to myself and all). I get anxious about approaching exams / upset by some things but I don't think I've ever been sad.
I hope that state stays lol!

"None of you is a true believer until he wants for his brother (in Islam) what he wants for himself"
That's been my Motto for a few years and I try to applicate it in the smallest and biggest things (living the cold milk for someone else? )

sorteddan

@lolwhatno
I have to have my photo done for work ID card and it ends up with all other staff looking happy and me with serious im gonna murder someone look, if I try to put on a smile it just looks overly forced and creepy so yeah, totally feel you there.
Weirdly I'm always laughing about stuff but rarely (never?) walk around with a smile on.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

render

@lolwhatno You should definitely force yourself, it might make you feel happy just doing it. It's important to smile or have a laugh everyday. Life is too serious otherwise!

@sorteddan Where I used to work we had ID cards and you'd have to show it on the way in through the security gate. They'd take a brief look at you to decide if you were the person depicted on the card, that is unless you were riding a motorbike with a helmet on and in which case they'd let you in without even seeing your face.

render

sorteddan

@render
A missed opportunity then. A photo ID with a picture of a motorbike helmet on it kinda amuses me!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Voltan

@sorteddan @render @lolwhatno Fun fact: this probably only concerns official gov't-issued IDs (so it wouldn't apply to something for work but it would to passports) but here in Poland you're not allowed to smile in your ID photo because it's "not a natural look" - which says a lot about the people of Poland

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

sorteddan

@Voltan
Same for British passport photos. I always assumed it was just us. I imagine holiday makers arriving in other countries and being told to look stern to see if the face matched the photo!

render

@sorteddan That was my thought exactly 😂

@Voltan It's the same here and I even had the option to use the photo they had on record from my passport to renew my drivers licence when that expired. Now I look really miserable on both 😆

render

Voltan

@sorteddan @render I get that a "neutral" expression probably makes it easier to ID a person but they're literally telling you it's not natural to smile and that always cracked me up, lol

Voltan

lolwhatno

@sorteddan Ngl it makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone in this, if I force a smile too much it looks like I'm wincing lol!.

@Voltan (I love when random discussion lead to learning something new) Found this online, it's not because it's not natural as in people shouldn't be smiling, but not natural as in people when walking are most of the time with a "neutral" expression.
Starting at the turn of the millennium, the world began moving towards biometric passports to increase security. Every time — for example — you enter or leave the USA, your passport is scanned (visually) into a system. Likewise, if you have a biometric passport, it will digitally be recorded.

Because the new biometric system pings a database with your information (it also contains critical information within the chip), it is important that the camera that scans your face doesn't struggle identifying who you are. This is because biometric facial scans typically identify 14 - 20 points on your face (edge of nose, eyes, lips, etc.) the position of your face shifts those points and it may cause difficulty in identifying who you are. Because of this, the biometric system works best if you maintain a placid, casual look (neither frowning nor smiling).

render

@lolwhatno It's interesting to think though that we have that technology built into our mobile phones these days e.g. with Apple Face ID and yet that can cope with our faces in various different expressions, with or without glasses, with or without facial hair etc. In a technical sense I don't know enough about it to know how the two systems compare so it might be that the airport scanners are so much more accurate but interesting all the same.

render

lolwhatno

@render Yep quite interesting. My first thought was more that they have to implement them everywhere so it's not the most advanced (that needs powerful devices) technology. But tbh yours makes much more sense.

Voltan

@render the biometric features in phones (both Face ID and fingerprint readers) aren't actually very accurate and operate on a "good enough for the required level of security" premise - it's usually not a huge deal if they give you a false positive sometimes.
In a similar way, my dad has an Apple HomePod set up at his home and I have one too - during the setup it asks you to say a few phrases so then it can recognize your voice and not react to anyone else. However, his HomePod does still react to my voice, because there's apparently some similar quality in it.

That's not nearly good enough for actual security like passports.

Voltan

render

@Voltan That's to be expected due to the difference in the cost of the equipment but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't too long before the mobile version improves by quite a leap. The fact that we've got a lot more onboard processing on mobile chips now and that the cameras are ever getting ever better will really speed things along. I am glad the airport scanners are better though as that's the one that's probably more important.

render

Anti-Matter

I made some story from ACNH screenshots.

Untitled

Me : Hehehe.... Redd will be get busted for selling fake arts.

Untitled

Me : Aha ! Busted ! You are under arrest for selling fake arts !
Redd : Wut ?!

Untitled

Me : And I will send you to the jail and stay there forever !
Redd : Oh, please. Don't do that, sir.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

kyleforrester87

I thought it’d be interesting to ask who here smokes cigarettes! (Not the other stuff, even if it’s legal where you live - don’t want to get into that here).

I have occasionally smoked since I was 17, although more regularly between 17-21 than I do now. These days I can go months without smoking, but I go through phases where I might smoke a few in a week. The fact you can only buy packs of 20 in the UK now is a problem for me as I might buy some on a night out and then have them left over when if I had only 10 they’d have all been gone that night.

I’d prefer to knock it on the head entirely but since it’s never truly been a habit for me I am not sure I will cut them out completely.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

sorteddan

@kyleforrester87
Gave up 5 years ago next week. Prior to that was on 10-20 a day for many years. Decided to stop one day and haven't had one since - I finished the rest of the pack first!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic