Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 6,741 to 6,760 of 10,104

Th3solution

(Moving the follow up conversation here about A/C)
@Thrillho @JohnnyShoulder @Voltan @nessisonett @Kidfried
I think this has been a topic a time or two but I can’t remember. But it interest me.

There are certainly parts of the US that don’t have central cooling, but I think most areas of the South and West do. Even New England homes often have it, if I’m correct. It’s fairly miserable without it.
And it’s right about the climate change — disasters such as what just happened in Oregon and the Northwest are likely to keep popping up. I don’t know how many people in total died as a result of the unusually severe heat wave there where they aren’t accustomed to it and don’t have central A/C. Even the animals and sealife suffered ill effects and died from the heat.

Do cars in the UK and Europe have A/C? On a hot summer day the temp inside a car can reach 48 C. And do people sometimes camp out in stores and workplaces to escape the heat?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution I don't own a car or even have a driver's license (which is probably another thing that seems really weird to an American ) but I do believe most modern cars do have AC. I think cars in the US might have had it long before European ones though - or at least the ones here in eastern EU, we're still catching up to the West today in many ways.
I don't think 'camping out' in stores is really a thing over here. It's been hot lately but it's still bearable

Voltan

nessisonett

@Th3solution Given I just saw we’re getting 27C on Thursday and was wondering how I’ll cope, I don’t think I’m quite ready for the weather in literally any other country. I think cars over here have A/C but I can’t remember the last time I was in a car to check!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution We don't even have A/C at work, as it is a listed building so there is only so much your allowed to do. There a ceiling fans, but as they are high ceiling (higher than most ceilings) that don't make much difference, so it windows open (if you are lucky enough to be sat near one) and desk fans. Think I've worked in only one or two places that have A/C in the offices.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Brings new meaning to the term “sweatshops” 😜
Which I always thought that term referred to hot and cramped poor working conditions, but I think it’s origin is actually because these early clothing factories made sweaters.

Ironically, at my workplace we have central A/c and it’s cranked up so high that I have to wear a jacket or turn on a space heater at my workspace, even though it’s 38 C outside. 😅
Older ladies always want the thermostat set so low.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah in offices where we had A/C there were always battles to control it. And in the one I'm based in now, there always some nut case who opens a window when the heating is on full blast

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman do you have any particular interest in English Literature? As in, are you looking to specialize in a specific field, such as medieval or Greek? What historical time period fascinates you the most?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I would be looking at magical realism of the 20th and 19th centuries for my PhD. The works of William Blake in particular, I am probably most fascinated by the Victorian period in English Literature, with writers such as Emily Bronte and Thomas Hardy, my two favourites, I believe that that period produced some of the greatest novels ever composed. How about you, are you a big reader of the classics?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman very cool! When I think of magical realism, I think of something like Pan’s Labyrinth. Obviously it’s a film but concerning genre, am I off base there?
Unfortunately I haven’t read many of the classics, though I do love to read. I took a fairly extensive ‘art history’ and ‘philosophy and art’ class when I went through film school, so the cultural side of history does interest me but I unfortunately haven’t delved too far into classic literature. The ‘philosophy and art’ class was particularly interesting as, from Aristotle to Descartes to the modern Nietzsche and Freud, the philosophies really do influence and permeate all types of art. I’m excited for you on this journey. You will certainly have a head full of knowledge!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I don't think you're way off-base with Pan's Labyrinth, although obviously I am more familiar with magical realism in print than on-screen than you are I think, where the reverse is probably true for you. I loved studying Nietzsche as part of my undergraduate degree, great stuff. Do you think you will ever return to film, as a career perhaps one day? You could soundtrack your own movies!

Also gonna tag @colonelkilgore in on this as I know he has studied film as well.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho What did you reckon of the decider of England v Pakistan? Narrow victory eh?

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to the Pakistan innings at work and followed England’s on the bbc feed. Great match and always good fun to go to the wire like that.

Impressive depth in batting for England with Livingstone coming in at 7. It seems he can bowl a few tidy overs as well!

Thrillho

NedStarksGhost

I've started learning guitar, only been doing so for about 2-3 weeks now. I already knew it was tough but it really does give you another level of appreciation for those who can play it well!

Any others here play/learning to play? How hard did you/do you find it?

NedStarksGhost

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Yeah I thought if Roy and Buttler had stayed in for longer it would have been a much tidier victory. With regard to Livingstone, definitely, he is one of my favourite batters for the current T20 side. Good all-rounder! .

Black_Swordsman

@NedStarksGhost I have been playing most of my life. I was, however, up until a few years ago, primarily a rhythm guitarist. I found some great books and transitioned to lead guitar, for rock & pop music there are only a few basic patterns you need to know and you can just improvise around them, I forget the name of the main book I used, but if I remember, I'll definitely post it here for you! Some googling of 'Guitar patterns' 'Lead guitar book with tab patterns'... whatever, should hopefully turn it up for you though.

NedStarksGhost

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey, thanks for sharing. I take it going to lead guitar is much harder? From what I've seen it's another level again.

I have been following JustinGuitar lessons. Currently learning the A, D and E chords. He's simplified a lot of songs to use them and sound really good! For example, his simplieified Walk the Line by Johnny Cash has a basic strumming pattern of a chord per bar with 4 down strums.

It'd be awesome if you can find that book, more resource is always a bonus. It's a lot of fun just learning so I am excited for the day I can finally play a full song through!

NedStarksGhost

Black_Swordsman

@NedStarksGhost Playing guitar solos is definitely on another level from strumming chords, but you can get there if you just persevere. Sounds like you're having fun with Johnny Cash. Is that the sort of music you want to play?

NedStarksGhost

@TheBrandedSwordsman There's quite a lot I'd like to play to be honest. I'm just picking songs I like from the JuistinGuitar website based on the chords and difficulty. I think the main thing I want to do is play Rock songs on electric. I'd like to play a mix of Punk Rock and Heavy Rock. Anything from Older Green Day and Blink-182 to some of the classic rock stuff.

I know how scattered that sounds, I'm just happy playing music in general really!

NedStarksGhost

HallowMoonshadow

Just a few more hours... A few more hours til I'm, more or less, free from work til September!

Sorry I've completely disappeared from here for the past few weeks guys! 😥

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Hey Foxy! Yeah, you were moments away from us sending out a search-and-rescue for you. 😄
Good to hear your summer break is almost here. It will surely be a well-earned respite and a good time to catch up on gaming, or maybe just get some extra rest!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic