Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,641 to 5,660 of 10,104

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman also, I didn’t find the ng+’s ‘that’ much more difficult that ng if I’m honest, though it probably helped that I played each dlc on ng first before starting the respective ng+’s. Also, I’ve never been past ng+3 and it’s when you start getting into ng+6 that things start to get particularly difficult from what I gather.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ll definitely check out the anime. I’m definitely happy to hear you’re looking into Sweet Tooth!

I actually read about his Essex County trilogy around it’s completion. Can’t remember where. I took a chance and gave it a read and just loved it. As a writer and illustrator he’s definitely an auteur with a specific style and voice that for whatever reason really resonates with me. The Underwater Welder, Roughneck and the more recent Frogcatchers all captured me but Sweet Tooth is his crowning achievement for me personally, though I have not read all of his work. His being Canadian is cool but pretty inconsequential in my love for his work.

I see Sweet Tooth: The Return is a thing now too so I’m gonna be checking that out in the near future. No doubt the upcoming tv adaptation will tie into that somehow. He writes a lot for Marvel and D.C as well but his personal I.P is just fantastic.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore The Ringed City is the closest the Souls games have ever come to breaking me. I took a break from it with every intention of returning, got distracted and now so much time has passed it just seems impossible to jump back in at that point.

I couldn’t figure out an effective way to deal with those darn angel creatures in the swampy area and I’m ashamed to admit that frustration won over me.

A good friend of mine also sings it’s praises as one of the finest pieces of Souls content. I really should give it another go.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer I remember the angels but can’t remember what my strategy was... my vague recollection is that you don’t deal with them at all (basically take cover when they ‘fire’ off projectiles and progress when they’re not) I could be remembering that wrong though.

As well as being a brilliantly designed area with awesome enemies and bosses, it (together with The Ashes of Ariandel) is also a great ‘end’ to the Dark Souls narrative (although you might have to watch a YouTube video or three to understand quite what that ending actually is... I know I did).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman “If you are going to be an artist, you have to go all in, at least in music: just do everything that comes with being a part of that scene or you won't truly be an artist, unless you're 100% living that lifestyle.“

That’s an interesting philosophy that at first I was opposed to but after chewing on it for a bit and in conjunction with our conversations and the excellent article you provided, I see your point and understand your ethos.

No doubt drugs can spark creativity and can open your mind to alternative ways of thinking, but does that result in better art? There’s a whole other conversation to be had around not only what constitutes ‘art’, but also the inherently subjective nature of what makes art good.

I agree with the article but the final paragraph touches on my overarching position with it all. As @nessisonett touched on, moderation is probably key, but when it comes to drugs, that’s a particularly slippery slope.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman

TheBrandedSwordsman wrote:

@Thrillho Yeah did you see that impressive 4 that Leach hit? I thought that was great. We are way ahead now though, so I think it's looking good. 500 and something for 8 eh?

Yeah, nice shot that one. Not as nice as Root's sweep 6 to bring up 200 though

Just settling in for the rugby now. Today just lacked an F1 race on terrestrial TV this afternoon for a perfect day of sport!

Thrillho

Gremio108

@Jimmer-jammer I developed a complex method for dealing with those angels in the swamp in The Ringed City. I'm going to share it with you here, but I'm going to put it in spoiler tags because it's such a high-level, pro strategy that amateur players might not be able to handle it.

I ran like a f***ing coward

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Thrillho Yep, I watched the rugby too. Might have been a bit of a rubbish game but at least we actually won for once 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore @Gremio108 I’m certainly not above turtling in these games but it’s like these homing missile ***** are inside my shell. I remember getting away from them a few times to then immediately either fall to my death from the roots or a frog beast jumped from the shadows and ended me. It’s been a while. I really liked Ashes of Ariendel though. All this Souls talk has me itching to give it a go again.

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer well if you do go back keep us updated with how you get on. Also, I think you need to take cover behind scenery rather than behind a shield (if that’s what you meant be ‘turtling’).

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I definitely meant running away. That was me stretching (very hard) to use an analogy I thought was humorous at the expense of effective communication 🤪

Will do! I have Skyrim, Ghostrunner and 13 Sentinels on deck once I wrap Cyberpunk. I’m not one to generally have a backlog so I’m still figuring how I’m going to work through that. Souls is always a good palette cleanser and it’s been a while so this might just fit in nicely.

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore I’m also intrigued by it without really knowing why. I’m taking a chance on this one as I’ve never played an Atlus game and have no real affinity for Anime so we’ll see how it goes and I’ll let you know!

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Could be interesting. Their recent remasters of older Star Wars games have been incredibly hit-and-miss for me. Not sure whether it makes more sense or less, that they've been ropey because they're occasional side projects in the shadow of such a huge undertaking. That said, Lucasfilm are probably only concerned with sales figures, and nostalgia would've reinforced them regardless.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Yeah he mentioned that in one of his podcasts a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly, the developer has been bought by the Embracer Group, the same group that purchased Gearbox. If true, at least it means they won't be locked on one platform like the originals.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger I didn't know that they had already handled other ports. It's not a good sign if some of them aren't well done. Hopefully all the extra talent they are employing and the money being pumped into it will help ensure a better outcome.
@JohnnyShoulder yeah, I couldn't imagine Lucasfilm wanting to restrict any future games to one platform.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Did you watch the cricket this morning? I think we are in a strong position, but looking like it's going to be a draw, unfortunately.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic