Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 10,096

Thrillho

@Th3solution The mobile phone thing is probably just dated. There are still loads of signs saying not to use mobile phones in hospitals as it can affect equipment but I'm not sure that it does do anything I can think of and certainly doesn't stop people using them at any point (even in the middle of me doing an ultrasound scan on them).

Thrillho

Octane

@Thrillho I think it's just a case of better be safe than sorry. They just want to avoid all risks, even though it's probably a dated thing at this point.

Octane

Th3solution

@Thrillho Yeah, I think I read somewhere that even the mandate to turn off your mobile phone (or place it in “airplane mode”) during a flight is actually dated. They still tell you to do it but something about the current digital data frequencies used by modern phones does not actually interfere with airplane communication or functions.
I think.
Supposedly.
But please don’t take my word for it. I am not an expert and I always turn mine on “airplane mode” because I don’t want to go down in a plane crash because I couldn’t stop checking the Push Square forums. 😉

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

I’m getting well into cycling lately, just came back from a 20 mile run with my other half, nice and steady - windy, rainy, wet and dark. My satnav lead us along a canal, it was scarier than Resident Evil 😂

I tell you though, just going out on your bike and messing about makes you feel like a kid again!

Anyone else riding?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Tasuki

Just had to put down our 20 year old cat. I found her in a dumpster when she was a few weeks old. Not sure if someone threw her there or she fell/climb in herself but there she was. When I first moved out of my parents place back in 2000 she stayed behind cause she grew attached to my father who called her Duchess. After we lost my dad in 2002 she then became my mom's where she lived the last 18 years.

It was hard letting her go tonight as she was my parents last cat, having lost my dad in 2002 and then my mom two months ago but also because of how old she was.

Goodnight sweet Duchess you will be missed.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Th3solution

@Tasuki Sorry to hear about having to let your cat go. It sounds like Duchess was a member of the family. I know it must be tough. Hang in there.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tasuki

@Th3solution Thank you. In truth all our pets are. She was really special as she was the last cat of ours that had a connection to my dad. I guess that sounds a bit odd but I dont know how else to put it. But she was special in her own way of course. She loved everyone and was a very people oriented cat.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

Yeah i remember these, you i kind of miss those days when you didn't have every answer at your finger tips, it made you a better gamer

7 things we used to do to beat games before the Internet

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@Tasuki People-oriented cats are a rarity in themselves; Duchess sounds like she was real special, may she rest in peace. Condolences to you and your family.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo Back in the day, if you couldn't look up the answer on the internet, you bought magazines, guide books etc. If these, or your friends didn't know, then these games would often go unfinished until someone found a cheat code or the solution. I had quite a few 'unfinished' games as a result - mostly because these games weren't featured in a cheat or code book that I had free with magazines. There was only so much perseverance I would be willing to put in - especially as I could and was buying new games every week. During the 80's, most of my games were costing £2-£3 each and every week, there were new releases to buy. By the time I got back into consoles (PS1/N64) era, I was in my mid-20's and working. I never collected 'every' gold star in Mario 64 but still beat the game. Some of the games I bought came with free guide books as a bonus from buying with Pink Planet, Game or whatever store I happened to visit and of course I still bought magazines with free cheat/guide books too.

Even today, I consider a game finished when I decide its finished - not when some trophy/achievement list tells me its finished. Whether that's just at the end of the story, before (if its not good enough to keep me playing) or after I have cleared every 'point of interest', side quest, activity etc, collected every collectible, beaten the game on the hardest difficulty and got every single trophy/achievement available. A game can be finished if I lose interest because I can't find the answer to progress and fed up persevering. I almost gave up on a Tomb Raider game because I couldn't find how to progress. Turns out I wasn't on the exact pixel I needed to be to interact with a torch on a wall but a month or two later, I found the answer and so returned to it and ended up finishing the story but that nearly stopped me. Nowadays, I do tend to finish more games because its easier to find the answers and also the devs want you to at least reach the end of the story don't have that 'difficulty' spike that 'new' levels had.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy i remember when i brought Final Fantasy XII from GAME back in the day (the original PS2 version) and they was giving people a free copy of the official strategy guide for a bit, which i got and i'll tell you i needed it for that game, the gambit system was so confusing and sometimes the game would tell you to go somewhere but give you no clue at all on how to get there

i miss strategy guides, they would always looks so colourful and well made plus it made you look like a gaming guru to your mates because you would know everything

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo I wouldn’t have finished Bloodborne without the internet. No way. Would have never made it past Father Gascoigne. Or Darkbeast Paarl. Heck, Shadow of Yharnam took me like 15 tries even after watching several YouTube video strategies.
In fact, in retrospect, it’s why I quit Dark Souls, since I was too stupid to use the internet.
So now I don’t shy away from using the internet, because honestly many games are developed with that in mind. They know we’re going to be referring to the web for help.

Thrillho

@Th3solution How anyone could find those areas behind hidden walls you have to hit with your sword without online guides (or those rare helpful in game messages), I don't know.

Thrillho

Kidfried

Hey y'all. Many of you might have noticed I have become less active over here. That's not because I care less about games or the likes of you, but just because I have so little time nowadays. I am doing some kind of traineeship right now which takes up a lot of my time.

The little free time I have left, I try to spent on playing games (rather than talking about them on here) and trying to upkeep something of a social life. I almost mist sitting at home being jobless!

Anyway, I'm doing alright, but that's the reason why I might sometimes not be online for days.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Good to hear your doing well and hopefully the training is coming along. We all have times and seasons in our lives. My time has been more fragmented since the holidays as well and although there is rarely a day I don’t at least check Push Square for a passing moment, I’m not always able to formulate discussion. Everyday is different. It’s crazy how life can be sometimes. The only constant is change.

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried Hahahah social life. Hahahaha.

By the way, you spelt miss/missed horrifically. I normally wouldn't point out bad spelling, as mine is awful, but I can't let that one slide :')

Glad you're good!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Don't worry, I think we'd all understand that playing games must take precedence over talking about them, otherwise you wouldn't have anything to talk about!

The very best of luck with your training and with spinning all your various life plates.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

I've been strucken down with flu over the last couple of days. Headache, sore throat, fever, aches and pains. I feel like an (even) old(er) man lol. The worst thing is the lack of sleep, for the past two nights I've been waking up every 2 hours or so to drink water/blow my nose/go to toilet etc. I've bought some better drugs which seem to do the trick, but I really hope to get a good nights sleep tonight.

And I've not played any video games either, it hurts my head too much. Which could be worse than getting not much sleep.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Here’s hoping for a quick recovery. I found it rather annoying that when I was sick a couple months ago, I got to stay home from work, but like you I felt too poorly to actually get much gaming time in. It was such a waste of a few days off. All this extra time and I couldn’t get my nose to stop running, my eyes to stop watering, and my head to stop pounding long enough to get very much gaming done. Oh I’d try, alright. But after 15 minutes of misery I’d think to myself, “Isn’t gaming supposed to be fun? Why does it feel like I’m torturing myself? I’d much rather be asleep in bed.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic