Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 2,131

Th3solution

@R1spam Yeah, I’m my opinion the DLC (especially their respective bosses) are amongst the hardest in the game. I would recommend saving the AWE until late game (like maybe in the latter half or just before the final stretch) and save The Foundation until post-game. Narratively The Foundation works better at the end anyways. The downside to waiting is that the new weapons and abilities you get from the DLC won’t get to be used until just end, but honestly although I like the variety they added to the gameplay, I didn’t think they were any better than the standard weapons and skills you are given in the base game.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@R1spam I played the AWE DLC as it unlocked (not realising that’s what it was) and did fine on it. I can’t remember the boss being that difficult to be honest.

But you do get a brilliant ability during the early part which makes combat in the main game much easier and the grenade launcher weapon was one of my most used ones in the rest of the game too.

The Foundation DLC is only accessible post game as it carries on the story from there.

Thrillho

R1spam

@Th3solution @Thrilho cheers for the tips! Will veer off and do the AWE stuff as I think I'm pretty far on just got the cassette player to help get through the ashtray maze . I loved the atmosphere in Alan Wake, I'm hoping Barry makes an appearance!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

ralphdibny

@render nice one, I'll look forward to it!

I'll also look forward to meeting this Langston you speak of. So far I've only met the main character and a blonde woman. Oh yeah and a cleaner. And the original director I suppose.

@R1spam oh sweet, that haptic pulse sounds awesome!!

I had to add Fringe to my crossover of styles because while it is just more of a bonkers X files, the variety of things they investigate in Fringe match Control a bit better. Whereas X files is like aliens aliens aliens, native American myth, aliens aliens aliens, chupacabra, aliens aliens aliens, fluke man, aliens aliens aliens lol. (I say that lovingly toward X files as I do actually love the show!)

I am looking forward to the Alan Wake DLC I guess though! It will cap off this playthrough of Remedy games that I've been doing over the last 6 months or so quite nicely I think.

See ya!

Mr_B021

Finished mission 3 last night. I like the mystery and sense of discovery while exploring something you don’t yet understand. The ability to switch between RT and performance mode on the fly is really nice. Performance is stil the way to go, but sometimes I want to check something out with RT enabled. Works much better compared to Spider-Man MM where you have to reload the last checkpoint.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

Th3solution

@Mr_B021 Yeah, I remember switching back and forth between performance modes. Eventually I ended up sticking with the RT mostly. There is just so much glass in the Oldest house that it was much more immersive to me. What cinched it was that floating room with glass walls on all four sides — looked proper amazing with RT. Also the hotel has some beautiful light dancing through the windows and excellent shadowing with RT

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Mr_B021 @Th3solution It was all about that buttery smooth frame rate for me! I did tinker with RT for some photo mode shenanigans though.

Thrillho

render

I go with the buttery smoothness of performance mode too. I did actually have a few drops in performance the other day though. It seems to only happen in the mail room when there’s lots of stuff being flung about and one of those big dudes that create the tornados around them.

I went back and finished the AWE DLC last night. Quite enjoyed the ending to that having played through Alan Wake. Rolled straight into The Foundation DLC now which I remember enjoying the more out of the two and also comes with some new abilities.

render

render

Finished The Foundation DLC last night. Again I did enjoy that one more than the AWE one but I can appreciate if others feel different. For me it's because it's a different environment than the rest of the game and with the new abilities it feels like it opens things up a bit more again.

The central point to the area has a great look to it as well and where as photo mode is never my thing I was tempted to get a few shots. The aesthetic of this game is just something else and even by the end of the game I'm not bored of looking around. If anything one of the problems with this game is that the rooms are that full of stuff that looks like it can be interacted with I start looking around determined that I've missed something like a collectible.

So I'm tempted to carry on to get the platinum as I only have the board countermeasures to do for that. There's then the rest of the trophies for the DLCs that I haven't got so will see how much effort that's going to be.

Hope that everyone else is enjoying this as much as I have (again) anyway!!

render

Th3solution

@render The aesthetic of The Foundation is really fetching. In HDR it really pops with the interesting change in color scheme.

I actually was browsing through my PS5 screencaps the other day (I think I was making a quick inventory in response to the thread on here about which game has the most) and I looked at my Control pictures and was really reminded at how cool that game looks. Like you, I am not one to spend a lot of time in photo mode, but I rather enjoyed taking a few shots around the Oldest House and The Foundation.

R1spam

Well I've seen the credits roll and finished the main game. In terms of level design, the ashtray maze might be one of my favourite levels in any game. It could have been so easy to make the enemies too difficult and I think something would have been lost if you had to replay it multiple times. The music absolutely f@€king slaps as well!! Have started both of the dlcs but settled on AWE. I've enjoyed all of the little media clips, Dr Darling is certainly a screen presence. The gameplay is fantastic, I played Alan Wake beforeand whilst the setting and narrative were great (controversialy, I think I might have enjoyed them more than control), the gameplay advances remedy have made her are brilliant. Control is so mechanically tight, once you start to unlock skills and weapon forms.

XBOX: Placebo G

Th3solution

@R1spam Glad you like it. You’re right about the ashtray maze. One of my favorite gaming moments ever.

Hopefully you enjoy AWE, having the perspective of Alan Wake. I enjoyed it a lot, but have never played Alan Wake, so I think it’s more meaningful with the context of that game. Either way, the whole Ultimate Edition package is brilliant.

render

@R1spam I totally agree with you there, it’s an amazing game anyway but the ashtray maze is a standout piece. I went and played through it again in the shum arcade machine after I’d finished all the DLC it was that good.

Playing Alan Wake definitely increased my enjoyment of the AWE DLC, it really does feel like a good fit for the Control Universe, which I guess they wouldn’t have had planned at the time of making that. Both that and The Foundation are two really good bits of additional content though, and are about and right length to not drag them out to much.

I carried on and platinum it and I’m just one trophy sort of the set for The Foundation. Annoyingly it is one that relies on RNG or so it seems so I keep dipping in and out between other games. I did Returnal though so this will be easy 😆

render

Mr_B021

Finished the main campaign last weekend. It is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I liked the presentation and atmosphere. Darling and Ahti are great characters. The ashtray maze is really a stand out act. And the launch and levitate abilities give the game a unique sense of flow. The story feels a bit incoherent and the way it ends felt way too abrupt for my taste. I can see why it is a special game for many people. Unfortunately I couldn’t really connect with it.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

nessisonett

@Mr_B021 I can understand that about the ending, I did feel a bit ‘was that it?’ with it. Darling was great though, easily a highlight for me.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MatthewJP

I'm just playing this now for the first time and I think I've died more times on 'fridge duty' than any boss in returnal

PSN: mpquikster

Thrillho

@MatthewJP Yeah, that fight kind of comes out of nowhere. From what I remember, levitating makes it much easier as the biggest threat is falling down holes.

Thrillho

MatthewJP

I completed it this week, quite enjoyed it. 3 away from the platinum so will try and get that before starting something new at Christmas.
The map is just utterly frustrating though

PSN: mpquikster

render

@Keith_Zissou Is that the bridge in the panopticon? The Salvador fight itself isn’t too bad as there’s quite a bit of cover you can use in that room. Charge can be useful and helps taking the other enemies out in quick time before they get annoying.

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic