Forums

Topic: Playstation New Years Resolution Thread- 2018 Edition

Posts 41 to 60 of 71

themcnoisy

@Th3solution @Jaz007 @Ralizah
Well 2018 so far has been weaker than 2017 and bar some crazy leftfield games coming out looks to be that way throughout. So those backloggs will be getting smashed like Gazza at the Dentist.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Rudy_Manchego

Failing massively at mine to be honest. Started the Witcher 3, got intimidated by the size and stopped playing. Have also failed to get on the PSVR as much as I wanted to.

On the plus side, 2018 hasn't given me many games I have really wanted yet bar Shadow of the Colossus so I am getting stuck into my backlog, particularly on my Vita!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Th3solution

Since we were talking about this elsewhere, I dug this thread up out of the heap to do a little updating.
I last updated 3 months ago, so another quarter of the year down and so let’s see how I’m doing:
1.) Finish at least the main story of Persona 5, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 0.
I stalled on Persona 5 and lost my momentum. I’m still probably only 30% complete. I did start Yakuza 0. And I’m in chapter 5, so that’s also a long way off. Witcher 3 is just a pipe dream at this point.
My grade on this goal so far: C-
2.) Be more well rounded and play at least one game from a genre I don’t usually play.
I knocked this one out early when I played Fez, what I would consider a puzzle game.
My grade on this goal so far: A
2a.) Play at least one online-centric game.
Well, I’m still counting Bloodborne here, because I did do some PvP with the sinister bell and wrote a lot of notes. Maybe I’ll get on No Man’s Sky later this year and count that.
My grade in this goal so far: B-
3.Buy either PSVR or a PS4 Pro and 4K TV.
Epic fail here.
My grade so far: F
4. Earn 5 platinums to reach at total of 16.
I have 4 plats this year so far - The Bunker, The Walking Dead S3, Severed, and Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. Just one more to go. (So what if they’re easy ones)
My grade so far: A-

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@KratosMD You're a machine, that's so many games played.

As for my own resolutions, I'm doing pretty good:
1) Get more platinums than last year. - I already have three more than last year, so... check!

2) Play different games. - I've been playing visual novels, my first soulslike and I'm still trying to get into RE (horror) and XCOM (strategy), and of course I'm playing Yakuza. I'm doing alright so far, but I fear the second half will consist of more mainstream games, just by looking at the releases, and my further backlog.
3) Get into an online game, preferably enjoying an online experience with friends/forum people. - Not a lot of success yet. I've dropped Gwent again (not my fault!), and was burnt out on Fortnite before 2018 began. I did have a few great co-op Bloodborne session, so there's that. And hopefully still some NMS? I don't know.
4) Keep my PS4 clean! I'm going to try and clean and undust it every month. Doing great so far actually!

Kidfried

mookysam

My 2018 Gaming Resolutions Update

1. Don't buy something if it's just going straight in the backlog. Sort of stuck to it. Most things I've bought I have actually played right away, such as Ni No Kuni 2, Forgotton Anne and Bloodstained Curse of the Moon. So I've done well there. However, there have been quite a few good bargains in PSN sales - notably the Naruto Shippuden Collection and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - that have been bought and placed in the digital backlog. So I guess with physical games I've stuck to it quite rigidly.

2. Finish Breath of the Wild. Halfway through the story. I borrowed this and they later wanted it back to play themselves, but I have borrowed it again so shall resume! Should be done by years end.

3. Get through my hand-held backlog. Bit of a failure here. I did finish Pokémon Moon in January (at last), but a lack of time to devote to these games has slowed my progress. Additionally, I've received quite a few handheld games as gifts so the backlog has been added to. 😂 Hopefully I'll finish Trails in the Sky Second Chapter this month.

4.Finally finish Resident Evil PS1 It's a Halloween tradition of mine to play Resident Evil on my Vita. I've been doing it for three years and still haven't finished it. This Halloween I will. Not yet Halloween so I haven't tackled this one yet!

5. Replay some more of my favourites Off the top of my head I've not replayed anything awesome yet, although I am planning a replay of BioShock 2 this month. Still five months left of the year to play some more, however.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

Well, we’re on the home stretch here people. A couple short weeks left to try to knock these goals out. [sigh]
I last updated over 4 months ago, so over another quarter of the year down and so let’s see how I’m doing:

1.) Finish at least the main story of Persona 5, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 0.

Persona 5 - still only 30% complete and haven’t touched it in months.
Yakuza 0 - still in chapter 5, also not touched in several months.
Witcher 3 is still a pipe dream.
My grade on this goal so far: D. I give myself a tiny bit of credit for at least starting 2/3 of the games.

2.) Be more well rounded and play at least one game from a genre I don’t usually play.

I played a puzzle game (Fez), a fighting game (SoulCalibur 6), and a Soulsborne (Bloodborne). All those were genres I didn’t play much of and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
My grade on this goal so far: A

2a.) Play at least one online-centric game.

Well, I’m counting Bloodborne and SoulCalibur here, because I did do some PvP with each of those.
My grade in this goal so far: B- , since those games are hardly “online-centric” I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to escalate this to an A when I play OnRush sometime before end of year.

3.Buy either PSVR or a PS4 Pro and 4K TV.

Unless Santa brings me one of the above, I plan to fail this. I’m not getting a Pro since PS5 feels pretty close. I’m also prone to wait for the next (hopefully wireless) iteration of VR. A 4K TV is a definite need though.
My grade so far: F

4. Earn 5 platinums to reach at total of 16.

I have 6 plats this year so far - The Bunker, The Walking Dead S3, Severed, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, LiS: Before the Storm, and Burly Men at Sea.
My grade so far: A ... I know they are all easy ones, but oh well.

— — —
I don’t expect to be able to make any headway on #1 or #3 within the next 2 weeks. So, out of four goals, I’ve failed 2 miserably and accomplished 2 pretty well. 50% achievement rate. Story of my life.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

Not game related but my resolution this year was to read more. So I started turning on subtitles whenever I watch tv.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Ralizah

Oh boy, this again...

Let's see...

Maintain at least a 2:1 completion/purchase ratio for games on all systems (at least until I've cleared out my backlog completely, which won't be for many, many years)

No. Purchased 31 and cleared 45 games so far this year.

Play half of the games in my PS4 backlog (roughly 9 games)

Kind of check. A large chunk of the PS4 games I've played this year were on PS+. I'm counting it, though.

Platinum Gravity Rush: Remastered, Gravity Rush 2, and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Platinumed Danganronpa V3. Still haven't touched the other two.

Finish at least three of the games in my PS Vita backlog (not including Danganronpa V3)

Yep.

Finish two of the games in my PS2 backlog.

Almost done with this.

100% Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild (sans korok seeds: once I've completely opened all of my inventory slots, I'll stop looking for these), Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on my Switch

Nope.

100% Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I've never done this, but always wanted to.

Still haven't touched either of these games so far this year.

Play half of the games in my Wii and Wii U backlog. 15 or so unplayed games between the two systems, I believe.

Bahahaha. No.

Finish Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nope!

Complete Rune Factory 4, Etrian Odyssey III, and SMT Strange Journey Redux

Still haven't touched these.

Complete 10 Steam games

I've mostly ignored my Steam library this year, so... nope!

100% Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Haven't touched this since early in the year.

Play Doki Doki Literature Club

Still nope.

I'm making more realistic goals for next year.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Fight_Teza_Fight

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

update

2018 PlayStation Resolutions:

1) Beat SkyrimVR
Fail. Got 30hours out of it, which makes it my most played VR title. Just like regular Skyrim it looks like I’ll never beat this game.

2) 'Experience' Metal Gear Solid (main games)
Only beat MGS1-3. Fail.

3) Finish more games than I buy
Epic Fai.

2018 is probably the year I’ve spent gaming the least.
I definitely want to crack down on buying too many games.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

FullbringIchigo

only one real major one

Finish my backlog

didn't do it though

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

themcnoisy

Wow its back hopefully Teza can crack open the 2019 edition.

1) Beat @Rudy_Manchego @hego @Fight_Teza_Fight @Th3solution @Octane @KratosMD @Ralizah @Gremio108 @DerMeister @Chelski at a game (of my choice theres no way your picking)

Bad fail. That said I have more time until the second week in January. I am confident Soul Calibur 6 will be arriving next week and will be up for a tournament.

2) Spend 2 full days with psvr. Finish some of the shorter games.

Completed! My VR time was front loaded but I am happy to report I should have Moss and Astrobot next week too! I finished Statik, Destruction ball and Arkham VR.

3) Play some more Disgaea 5.

Terrible fail. D5 Winks at me like the weird kid at work from time to time but there's too much to do and so little time. Maybe Disgaea was a better fit a few generations ago when every other game didn't take 50 hours plus to finish.

4) Get gold on all track experience in GT Sport

I want to say complete. But the worst race track of all time ruined my life. Nurburgring do one.

5) Start Trails of Cold Steel on vita.

Started and put down after an hour. Far too close to P4 and P5 to contemplate.

6) Compile the very last but greatest Best game of all time poll!

We did it everyone! Finished the polls with a great (and sometimes controversial) competition. Hopefully another pushsquire can continue the tradition!

Octane

Octane wrote:

I have one: Beat more games than last year!

Shouldn't too difficult. I'm aiming for at least one game every month. Monster Hunter World will be my first game. I would also like to work on my backlog.

I failed. Hard.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

Mine has been a mixed year. Overall though, not too bad...

1) Finish The Witcher 3. FAIL - Started, never finished. Will start a new playthrough at a lower difficulty at some point but can't see that being any time soon.

2) Use my PSVR more (play at least every week). SEMI - Not played every week but the tail end of this year has seen some more use and I have finished off some backlog games.

3) Finish one of the Dark Souls game. FAIL - Decided to wait for Dark Souls on Switch, tried it at EGX, hated the controls, now waiting for it on PS4 for Christmas.

Other than that, I have a few other projects connected with gaming. I'm hoping to start a gaming podcast with a school friend for some fun and I also want to do some more things with the Switch as well as mop up some old Nintendo classics. WIN - Podcast going out twice monthly, played the Switch loads and also got a GBA and GC again and have played a few classics on these.

@themcnoisy - Wipeout VR competition. First to chunder loses.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@themcnoisy I’ll be on it mate. Hopefully I’ll have a more productive(?) gaming year in 2019.

I had Disgaea 5 on the shelf for almost 2 years before I got to it.
It ain’t going anywhere, but you do have to make the time for it to get the best experience.
It’s definetly the most streamlined Disgaea. 150 hours or so to 100%.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Gremio108

Finally play Uncharted 4 after two false starts.
Managed this one before January was out.

Platinum Dark Souls.
Wasn't sure whether I'd go for the platinum but I got it. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Catch up on Assassin's Creed a bit.
When I said this, I was thinking maybe two or three games from the series. But I completed Black Flag and the Freedom Cry DLC, so I'm happy with that.

Complete Wasteland 2.
Nope, haven't even started it. Spoiler alert - it might show up in my 2019 resolutions list.

Platinum Dirt 4.
It was a slog but I got there in the end.

Complete Sonic Mania with all three characters and see their 'super' versions.
Not only did I do it with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, but you can add Mighty and Ray to that as well. I'd call that a result.

Five out of six, I'm happy with that.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Ralizah

This is a fun idea. Gives me a better sense of my limitations and habits with regard to gaming.

Looking forward to the 2019 thread!

@themcnoisy What games do you play online?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@Ralizah I went through a phase of Destiny, Rocket League and a bunch of ps plus games. That unfortunately died due to time constraints, but I made some friends like @kyleforrester87 @kyroki @hego @Quintumply @simon_fitzgerald @mrobinson @airbag @johnnyside @triplegk @billy-beauts @ypmud @rukiafan and more recently @JohnnyShoulder on pes 2019.

I can only really play games from 10pm on. Tuesday, Wednesday and sometimes Thursday. That's kicked in to touch with studying and when it restarts In mid Jan I'm buggered for time.

However I will be playing Soul Calibur 6 (@dermeister May have this one) and if all else fails get a game of Onrush in with @kidfried (my old tricky towers pal) or lazer league if you fancy it?

DerMeister

@themcnoisy Unfortunately, I don't have SC6 yet. I'm thinking of getting it this Friday since that's when I get paid. Hopefully I can play with you or anyone else if they have it.

Since we're all talking about old resolutions, I'll dig out mine from last year-

-Get better on Tekken. I think I can say I've done this. I've gotten my main to Fighter rank online and two other characters around the same range. Compared to last year, I'm much better at the game itself.

-Get all platinum relics in Crash N.Sane Trilogy. This will be a nope since I only got Crash 1's platinums, with a few from Crash 2.

-Be more active on Push Square. Ehh. I was active for quite a bit, but it's dropped off by the last half of the year. Then there was my month off from the site due to personal issues. I'll try to be on here more in the future.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Hego

Hego wrote:

2018 Resolutions:
1. Play through at least 5 Final Fantasy games this year: Part of this is due to the Cane and Rinse podcast working through the series so I’d like to along with them aiming to play through IV, V, IV, VIII and XV
2. Try to catch up on my backlog so that I’ll only have new games to play
3. Platinum Dark Souls Remaster ( always have to have a really optimistic one don’t ya!)
4. Beat 12games from my Vita backlog (this will be helped by the fact that a lot of my Final Fantasy games are on the Vita)

1. Absolute fail, played through 3/4 of FF IV and 1/4 of FF XV but got burnt out on JRPGs so abandoned this.
2. Fail although my PS4 backlog is down o about 6 games which I’m dabbling in all of them on rotation.
3. Failed and I’ve surprised myself at that, I love Dark Souls but I’ve only made 1/4 of the way through before moving onto other games. Might go for that again next year.
4. Failed. I’ve played very little of my Vita this year since I’m not traveling as much.

So basically I’ve failed all my resolutions 😂

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

themcnoisy

@DerMeister Awesome. When I get the game I will set up a thread on here!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.