Forums

Topic: Non-Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2023

Posts 21 to 40 of 43

sorteddan

@ralphdibny
What the heck is vegan black pudding??? How is that even a thing? Somebody manage to bleed a radish?!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

ralphdibny

@sorteddan 😂 I think it's basically the same just without the blood. I think it uses the same herbs and spices that's in regular black pudding so it tastes pretty similar. You can get it in Asda!

See ya!

Th3solution

I’ve been thinking about this topic, contemplating what non-gaming goals I could muster. Most of my resolutions have to do with job related things, so I won’t bore everyone with that stuff. But I do want to improve myself in other ways, and definitely need to get back on track with health and exercise — a common theme here.

I’ve monkeyed around with various exercise regimens, all of which have failed. Or rather, I have failed in maintaining them. I’m tempted to try again, but I think I’d be fooling myself.

Making a dietary resolution, like I’m seeing others have, does make more sense to me personally. The wonderful thing about changing one’s diet is that it doesn’t require any additional time, and probably not much money. As opposed to the various exercise activities we employ, which come with large amounts of time commitment and investing in all the related gear, club memberships, travel, etc. A diet can be done without disrupting the schedule. I think I’ll do that.

As for what diet changes to make, I think I’ve got room for improvement with all the empty calories I consume. Lately I’ve let myself drink more colas and soft drinks than I used to. And I eat way too much sugar. It tastes so good though. 😅 So I think I’d like to limit myself to one soft drink per week and three desserts per week. That’s a start.

Next, I need to keep in touch with my family and friends better. I get caught up in my own little world and I’m just not a very social person. Unfortunately I think sometimes this gives off a misleading message that I don’t care. I need to set aside time each week to call or message my close relatives and friends.

And finally, I’ve had vague goals to read more, but I need to add some accountability. So I want to read from one of the books in my library at least 3 hours a week. It’s not much, but that’s 3 hours more than I’m doing right now. I’m hoping once I get going on a book I like that this number will naturally increase.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Do you drink a lot of coffee? You could try reducing or not having sugar if that is something you consume.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Nah, my coffee consumption pales in comparison to my cookie and candy intake. But yeah you’re thinking along the same lines as I am — the sugar in the beverages is really the first thing that needs to go. Truly useless nutritionally. I got off of sugar drinks a couple years ago and eventually didn’t miss them at all. Just drank a lot of water.

But yeah, when I see what my friends spend on coffee at Starbucks everyday, I’m glad to have never fallen into that habit.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah I went cold turkey about a decade ago with sugar in my hot drinks, as I was having about 5 a day with 2 sugars in each mug. I don't have many carbonated drinks, apart from the odd tipple at the end of the week. And even then I try to go for the 'Zero' type brands.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Smart choice on the dietary change. Like you, as soon as I didn't have to keep in shape for professional reasons and it became a personal thing, I was full of good intentions which ultimately went nowhere, but I kept eating as though I was still active, and so I soon started to feel like crap. Now I simply watch what I eat and sure, it's not a perfect solution, but it's enough to prevent any problems.

Also totally understand where you're coming from regards keeping in better touch with folks. It's real easy for those of us who're happy keeping our own company to let that kinda thing slide, and to accidentally project that uncaring attitude. Making an effort for the sake of others is kindness defined.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution The only way I've been able to maintain a regime with my cycling is by making it my commute to work - I can get in to work other ways, but cycling is the quickest, so even when I really don't want to or the weather is awful it's still the best option. Once I've done 10 rides to and from work 5 days a week, I am pretty motivated to carry on and go for a big one at the weekend. Without those weekday rides I think I'd have fell off a long time ago.

I think I will always need to find a way to force cycling on myself through the week, and it's about the only recommendation I can give to others who are struggling with consistent exercise. Funny that I need to trick myself like that to keep doing something I love and that I know is great for me!

Shout out to @Thrillho for regularly getting out there for some epic all weather runs. Perhaps a little easier to stay motivated living in such a beautiful area!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

johncalmc

I started writing a book last year and I want to finish it this year. But I'm also getting the platinum in Persona 5 Royal again so I guess I don't want to finish it that much.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

1) Get in shape.
One that’s probably on most people’s list, but I’ve let myself go once I turned 30 & settled down.
I used to get up at 5/6am & go for a run for a couple of hours every single day, but that was a long time ago. I just don’t have the motivation like I used to anymore I guess.
The aim is to sign up & compete in the half marathon our city has every October. I doubt I’ll beat my best time, but just training for it will get me into good enough shape. I think the most difficult aspect of this will be building up my stamina again.

2) Reduce my alcohol intake.
Kind of goes in hand with #1. I don’t get crazy with it, but I do have a couple of shots of whiskey every night after work & maybe a few more over the weekend- which can’t be great.
I’ve tried the alcohol free stuff, but doesn’t really do it for me. My wife likes wine, but she’s much more casual with it. So not sure at the moment, but definitely don’t want alcohol consumption to be a daily thing.

3) Be more prudent with my money.
Ideally this will be the year we’ll finally get our own house. I’ve cut down on ‘luxury’ expenses like buying Day 1 games significantly & waiting on PS5 & PSVR2 when more attractive bundles are announced, but I still spend money on silly impulse buys.
I’ve already started taking out cash instead of relying on my card so I don’t just ‘tap-tap-tap’ away & being physically more aware of what I have on me.
Oh & I definitely don’t need to go see the same movie at the cinema multiple times. I went to go see Uncharted 4x 😂😅.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I should move toward the “zero” beverages when I do get the urge. That’s a good idea. Better to have none, but if I’m going to kick back with a soft drink to watch the game I might as well make it a zero calorie. I know those aren’t particularly good for me either but I think it’s the lesser of two evils when it’s chasing down a handful of Doritos and a cupcake. 😜

@RogerRoger The pandemic did weird things to social structure in general, but for those of us hermits who don’t like people the public restrictions were a welcome circumstance. In fact, I miss some of the limitations that were put forth in 2020. Don’t get me wrong, I would never want society to go through the horror of those early day again — the fear of the unknown, people collapsing of a mysterious illness, thousands dying with no access to healthcare, etc. It was truly awful. However, taken on its own, I rather prefer the lack of community events, the disallowance of frivolous gatherings, and the move toward isolation. I’m not antisocial, but I just hate the trivial stuff. Well, unfortunately the last 2.5 years has caused collateral damage across multiple meaningful relationships and “the new normal” has trained us (or at least me) to ignore seeing (and even contacting) some of those people who are dearest in our lives. It’s just a really strange social phenomenon, and the first and only of its kind in modern history. I haven’t been really sure how best to respond, but now it’s clear to me that I’ve lost 2 years of bonding, which I’ll never get back. I don’t want it to become 3 years. In particular, grandparents and some of the older relatives are the people most keenly affected, because let’s face it — 2 years is a lot of time when the life expectancy is limited. It’s a little morbid sounding to say it that way, but for some people, you won’t get these latter years back.

I sound like a Debbie-downer, but it’s actually sad that we spend such huge amounts of our day with people we don’t even like (and sometimes actively dislike) while at work, yet scarcely see the people we love most. How did we get to this place?

@kyleforrester87 That’s a brilliant way to fold two tasks into one. I’ve never seriously considered cycling to work instead of driving and I might be able to make it happen with my commute. I did some cycling a few years ago. I’ll have to ponder on that. My bicycle is in poor shape and I’d have to fix it up, which is the first obstacle.

You change clothes once you get to work, right? I can’t imagine wearing cycling shorts all day 😅.

Edited on by Th3solution

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution it’s scary at first (maybe it even sounds impossible) but you can easily get into a routine of 5-10 miles each way on a bike. Takes 2-3 weeks. By the end of the week you’ve burnt enough calories for an entire day, or one massive pizza with ice cream.

The logistics in terms of workwear need a little bit of planning but essentially I have trousers in rotation at the dry cleaner that I keep in the office. I could do the same with shirts but it can get pricey, so I bring easy iron shirts from home. I iron at home and there is a hand dryer at work so I put a bit of water on and give them a blast to get any creases out from my bag. Could always have an iron and board at work too, I guess.

You can always have a wash with a flannel at the sink if there are no showers, but to be honest once your fitness is a bit better if you go at a steady pace you won’t sweat anymore than you would when you’re walking so it’s just not a problem.

Saves me over £100 a month on travel cards too

You can do it!!

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 You’ve got me considering it. 🤔
Do you do your own bicycle upkeep or do you take it to a shop? I’m certain my chain is corroded and needs replacing, my tires are probably degraded too and need to be changed out. The last time I rode, the gears were figgity and a few of the lower gears wouldn’t shift cleanly, even after I tried to adjust them. It’s part of why I gave up riding — once the bike needed maintenance beyond my abilities it was a large hurdle because the nearest bike shop is in the next town and it’s just enough of an obstacle to make me fall off. The other issue was just the time taken to get all ready to ride (get dressed, etc), but if it’s baked into the commute to work, that part is less onerous because the commute itself is a colossal waste of time anyways.

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution I can do stuff like brake pads, chain replacement, basic indexing of gears, tyre and inner-tube replacement. As things get older and worn easier repairs can be more complicated though so I will use a shop if needed. Like sometimes you can’t set the gears if the cables need changing, no amount of tweaking will get them right. The only really essential thing you need to be able to do is change an inner tube in case you get a flat, and carry the items you need to do so with you.

Having said that a decent quality bike shouldn’t need much maintenance at all. Once set up your gears should be fine for 12 months or so. Just replace the chain every 4-6 months. Not sure what you’re working with, perhaps it needs an overhaul at the shop to get you going or better to replace entirely and have it pay for itself in fuel savings over a year.

It’s sort of 10 mins at either end to get changed, but I get there quicker than driving or public transport so I am home/changed/dry when I’d otherwise be sat in traffic. Plus I’ve got my daily workout in already. I like riding past the gym seeing everyone on the stationary bikes through the windows!! I bet half of them drove there…

Anyway, just what works for me!

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 My bike isn’t anything special; I think it was like a $600 bike several years ago, which is more than I’d want to spend to get back up and running since I’m a complete novice. Hopefully a full tune with new cables and whatnot could get me road-ready for less than $200.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Totally get where you're coming from, regarding the pandemic's impact on social structure and habits. For some broad-minded folk, it allowed for better understanding of where we hermits are coming from most of the time, but likewise it jarred an equal number of hermits into action, so to speak. I also understand your point about elderly relatives, which I'd argue is more realistic than morbid. Funnily enough, my father has just retired, and I can tell that he's becoming more and more aware of his age (he's a lot more nostalgic than he used to be, for example) and so he's really pushing to spend more time with me and my brother. On the one hand, my inner hermit is boarding up windows and changing phone numbers in a blind panic, but on the other, I sympathise and wanna be there for him. If I hadn't lost people I care about in the pandemic, that sympathy might not be quite so acute.

Work to live, don't live to work. So long as you're able to preserve enough of that all-important "me" time in order to continue to function (because I know I'd go crazy if I didn't get a day to myself every once in a while... okay fine, "even more crazy", then) and don't spread yourself too thin. Otherwise you'll be no good to anybody, least of all yourself. Guess that's why they call it a balancing act.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks, Rog. Cognitively I know it to be true (regarding the self care and avoiding spreading oneself too thin) but it means a lot for me to actually hear (or read) it. It’s good advice and probably something I should build another 2023 resolution around.

ralphdibny

Im feeling a bit down after I mentioned writing a list of life long dreams in the chit chat thread and realising that I've achieved nothing.

So I thought I'd revisit some of my New Year Neccesities to make me feel better as I know I've made some progress on these! Also to give an update on where I'm at with some things....

Immediate Goals

• Work on my relationship. Well? It's on going. In some ways it feels much better than before and in some ways worse. I think I'm just anxious about change even though I was the one who incited it. Generally I am much happier being honest and open but it can be exhausting to maintain. But I suppose it's a good kind of exhaustion, not the rubbish kind I had when I was holding everything in.
  • Get Counselling. Well this sucked to be honest. I signed up, did one session for £55. The next week, I get a call from my mum saying my grandad was about to die. Of course I told the counsellor immediately and asked to reschedule so I could go and be with him. All fine on her end, seemed sympathetic. A few hours later, while I'm sitting next to my dying Grandad, I get an e mail saying I'd still have to pay for the session. I was going to offer to pay anyway, y'know, another day, when I'm dealing with less stuff. But the lack of sensitivity from this so-called therapist, asking for money while I'm next to my grandad's deathbed just peed me off to no end. I paid her and e-mailed her to say that was the last bit of money she would be getting out of me. So £110 total down the drain and all I took away from it was a life lesson to not trust people. Which isn't exactly what I needed seeing as that was already the case and reaching out to a therapist was me being vulnerable and trying to let somebody, anybody in. Sooo, i duno. I feel like I'm doing a lot of guerilla Counselling by talking to my partner anyway and I felt like I'd just be giving the proper therapist a contracted summary in 50 minutes every week and paying her £55 for the "pleasure" so I don't feel it's a great loss anyway. I probably will do counselling again at some point and we are certainly going to do couples counselling soon but I'm not in any hurry to lay out the dough for the solo kind.
  • Get a job I can be happy with. Nope, not happened yet. I've applied to a couple things I like the look and feel of but haven't been successful yet. I have been thinking a lot about what I actually want to do to earn money in some ways. I still don't know.

Medium Term Goals:

• Deal with my hoarding. It's still ongoing. I think I've made some massive breakthroughs though. My DVD collection is massively reduced in size. I still have a bag of them I need to rip before I take them down to CEX. I just need to find time. I've listed more stuff on eBay, including trimming down my graphic novels. Next step really, after finally ripping those DVDs and selling them is to go full open season on both my Lego and my comics and really decimate them. It's going to be hard. Lego because I need to clean, sort and bag it all into individual sets. Comics because I should probably still read the 2-3 year backlog I had when I decided to cancel all my subscriptions. I have bought a few other things that have encouraged me to get rid of old stuff and in a way, the new projects I've created have liberated some space and things so I feel like this is going well.
  • Stop over eating. This was going ok but I'm back to my old ways again. I just need the constant comfort and love of sweet and salty foods.
  • Write more, do more creative things. I've done a little for somebody else, not much unfortunately. And they didn't give me any feedback on my contribution yet so I am feeling a bit down about it. Don't feel like I've done a lot toward this to be honest.

Long term Goal:

• Exercise. Unfortunately not yet. I was going to start doing my yoga a few times but I keep realising the amount of press ups and planks in the routine is going to kill me with my bum wrist. I've bought some press up handles which will hopefully allow me to keep my wrist straight when doing it so I am hoping to start next week.

Main Goal:

• Stop living life in regret. Well this happened I suppose! The work I've done with my partner to get myself into this state has made me feel less regretful about past opportunities I've lost because now I am no longer turning them down. I've put myself forward more, I've said yes to more things, I am allowing myself to get excited. I really want to keep this up if I can!

I think the biggest hurdle I face lately is my on-going projects getting in the way of the next thing. I'm a bit of a do a bit of work here and jump to another project when I want to sort of guy. Lately I've been rephotographing all of my eBay listings against a white tablecloth so they look better which has taken up so much space and I'm feeling so disinclined to do it that the photography set up has been out for weeks which is kind of getting in the way of other things :/

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny I wrote that long post over on chit-chat before I saw this, so maybe it would be better here. Ah well, either way, I hope I didn’t add to your stress with all my pontificating. 😬

As for my update on my goals here, I’ve been better about my sugar intake (yay!) and probably only have a soft drink once every week or two. I probably only have sweets or dessert every other day, so that’s a win.

For my goal to spend time and rekindle some relationships which suffered in the pandemic isolation, I am doing better with that too. Have made a few trips to extended family this year.

As for reading more, it’s a fail. Still need to work on that. I have some books on the shelf ready to go, but the TV is just so much easier! 😅

ralphdibny

@Th3solution nah no addition to my stress whatsoever, don't you worry! I wouldn't ask people about themselves if I wasn't willing to hear what they have to say 😅

Glad to see your hitting your goals, slowly but surely!

I actually cut down on caffeine too by buying caffeine free pepsi max and only getting actual caffeine from coffee or tea. It's kind of weird actually, most days I'm ok but some days I'm really tired around sort of 5pm and end up having a coffee or tea. Which isn't amazing but is better than banging down 3 coffees, a tea and 5 cans of pepsi max every day (this is an exaggeration).

I've also found half full cans of pepsi max caffeine free around my flat the next day. Which I do wonder if it is because I haven't finished it due to lacking a craving for the caffeine as I drink it. Weird, I'd like to see someone do a proper study on something like this!

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic