Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,074

HallowMoonshadow

I've been feeling nostalgic as of late and so me and my daughter have been watching the Pokémon anime from the very beginning.

I was what... 17? 18? When it first came out with Kanto/Indigo league and I remember watching a couple of episodes but not a whole lot due to reasons so it's been fun to revisit it despite the very kiddy tone with the 4kids dub (Or the somewhat strange localisation choices at times. Jelly doughnuts anyone? 😂)

Team Rocket are so iconic though and clearly Rachael Lllis, Eric Stuart & Maddie Blaustein having a blast voicing them

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

I've heard some of the later seasons crank their appearances down or get rid of them entirely and I can't imagine that Team Rocket as they're also the best part of it @Kairu! 😂

That's Chainsaw man for your Avatar gif right? Haven't got round to watching it myself (or read the manga) but I'll be giving it a look... Eventually

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

WanderingBullet

Studio Ghibli x Lucas Film collaboration.

Untitled

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Relygon

Need some recommendations on good, preferably not too old, rom-com animes.

I’ve been out of the loop for a good 15 years and just recently decided to watch a random rom-com anime again and now I’m hooked. All the stupid goofiness yet somewhat serious in this genre just clicks with me.

Relygon

Relygon

@WanderingBullet Thanks! Looks interesting, I’ll be sure to check it out. Good length too, 24 episodes.

Relygon

WanderingBullet

@Relygon No problem. The anime's pretty old, though. Hopefully, you won't have any trouble finding it.

RR529

Forgot to post, but I got these in last weekend.

Untitled

Lupin the 3rd: The First - As far as I'm aware this is the newest Lupin 3rd film, and the series' first attempt at a CG flick. It was actually really fun. You can definitely tell it's not as advanced as what Disney or the other big western animation studios produce (in terms of the tech), but it didn't feel particularly dated either. Good jumping on point too, as it's probably the cleanest Lupin film I've seen since Cagliostro (though not quite as tame as that one). Pretty much Lupin 3rd: Indiana Jones edition, and it was fun. BTW, I got the steel book edition since the cost was about the same as the standard release.

City Hunter 3 - Just finished this one up (at only 13 episodes long, it's much shorter than the first two series, which were over 50 & 60 episodes each respectively). It's pretty much more of the same, and although the animation quality may be a bit better than the earlier series' on average, I wasn't a huge fan of the aesthetic choices on offer. A minor issue, but it had a much more autumnal color palette I felt (a lot of oranges, creams, & browns) which I didn't care for after the very bright 80's neon pallettes of the earlier episodes. They even changed up a few characters' hair colors (Kaori went from reddish to brown & Saeko from bluish to black) which I never quite got used to.

City Hunter '91 - The last series in the franchise, so I'm almost done (like CH3, it only has 13 episodes). Only one episode in so far so not much to say yet (other than that it doesn't look to shake up the formula much, if at all), though at least they fixed Kaori's hair at least.

Bonus: Alternate City Hunter box art under the slip cases.

Untitled

Probably going to move on from the Lupin stuff for a bit since I've gotten so much of it, and this appears to be the end of the line for City Hunter as well (already got the 2019 film as well).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

Been watching through Fuuto PI. Haven't watched W in maybe a decade? But thankfully, I am not too lost. I generally watch Toku as I love the craftsmanship of the special effects, something that is obviously lost in translation to animation. But animation also frees them to do action kinda unlike what they could achieve in the show. Not that any action scene yet couldn't have been done in live action, it just would have probably required a lot of that ropey toku CG. The show is also generally a bit more violent and bloody than the live action counterpart.

I gotta be honest, I kinda forgot this came out, watched the first couple of episodes and then just got distracted by other shows, but since I am up to date with Witch from Mercury, MHA, Chainsaw Man and Bleach, I have a lot more time for other shows.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

CthulhuFhtagn

Chainsaw Man is an awful anime 😉.

CthulhuFhtagn

Pizzamorg

MHA continues to be my anime of the season. While it is mostly just a traditional shounen battle anime, the quality of the animation and general tone of the story really set it apart for me.

I know it sounds so edgy, but it isn't really intended, but it is just so nice to watch a shounen battle anime with consequence. Where heroes can lose, heroes can die, events have permanent repercussions that shape stories that come after it.

I think for both Japanese and American superhero stories, we have kinda become conditioned that nothing is permanent, that there is always a way out if the writer decides they need it. That no matter how much damage the hero takes, they will still win in the end and be fine ready for the next arc to come. So, for MHA to stick to their guns - or at least like they have so far - I am just always left in awe of its set pieces, its battles and the places the narrative goes.

On the flip, the other shows I am watching have all slowed down quite a bit, while that remains all gas. For Bleach, I dunno whether they have expanded the source, or it is just the merit of the way anime is paced versus you burning through chapters of manga at a time, but the story feels more fleshed out and coherent than I remember, so I am not really minding as it slows down.

Chainsaw Man though, I am having a harder time with. I have read the manga, so I know what is coming, so I just enjoy watching the anime to see moments brought to life in really high-quality production, but I got a lot of friends to watch the show based on my recommendation and because of me talking for years about how nuts the story was and the anime kind of isn't that. Like again, I dunno how much is deliberate change or just because of the change of medium, but the anime just feels like it is going at an absolute snail's pace and individual episodes sorta don't stand on their own at all, they just feel like one piece of something bigger. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that, but a lot of my friends who don't know what the bigger picture is watch these episodes and their main takeaway is general boredom.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

RR529

My newest pickups.

Untitled

My Neighbor Totoro - It's probably the most famous anime film I've never seen before. I'm sure it'll be worth the purchase due to it's pedigree.

Fatal Fury: the Motion Picture - The steel book edition. Watched it last week. Don't think it was quite as good as the two preceding OVAs, but still a decent enough time (and it gets points for going all out on the Mai fan service, lol).

Code Geass - I haven't watched this since it last aired on Adult Swim back in the day (& I don't remember that much of it, especially the later parts, since me & buddy would spend all weekend playing video games back when it aired). This has both series, & I've just started on the second this weekend. It's really good stuff, even if I don't think I like it quite as much as my absolute favorite childhood/teenhood anime.

Bonus: Fatal Fury steel book outside the slip case, front & back (it's a largely clear case, so the only major difference is the removal of the BD & NEO GEO logos, as well as the "100 Minutes" graphic).
Untitled
Untitled

Art under the Totoro slip case is exactly the same, so I didn't include it.

@WanderingBullet, looks like I chose the right time to get into City Hunter, lol.

I think Discotek is releasing all the old TV specials/movies in a Blu-Ray collection in January, so I'll have that to look forward too as well since I haven't seen them yet.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

KidRyan

@KAIRU Spy X Family is great, glad you've been enjoying! I'm waiting for Part 2's dub to wrap up first, before I continue watching it.

In/Spectre looks cool from the trailers I've seen, will get around to watching eventually.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

RR529

@WanderingBullet, yeah, I heard about it some time ago though I didn't know it was so close.

Too bad it's licensed by Amazon though. From what I understand they (& Netflix) are the worst when it comes to physical releases of their anime (as in, they often don't release one).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@RR529 Yeah, they don't unfortunately. Otherwise, I would buy Arcane Season 1. lol

WanderingBullet

@TripleGK Reviews on IMDB are really good so far. It's also doing really well in theaters across Japan. Can't wait to watch it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic