Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,075

WanderingBullet

@Jaz007: I thought The Devil is a Part-Timer was pretty funny as well and like @Jaz007 would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for less serious animes to watch. Speaking of less serious animes I would also recommend:

• FLCL (Comedy)
  • Kamichu! (Adventure, Drama, Fantasy)
  • K-On! (Comedy, Drama)
  • My Love Story!! (Comedy, Romance)

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet: All mine have to be serious!

On that note 4 episodes of Deathnote down and very impressed. How many episodes are there? There's 8 on this double dvd. Thanks for the recommends @SteveButler2210 @Jaz007 I believe that to be a success.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

SteveButler2210

@themcnoisy: pretty sure there are 26 - that's pretty much the standard length for an anime series. Never watched it though, so couldn't say for certain! I read the manga, which was 12 volumes. Might have to re read it actually!

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

[url=http://psnprofiles.com/SteveButler2210][/url...

PSN: SteveButler2210

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy: All cool, dude. Maybe, you could try watching Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Blood: the Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Stranger of the Sword.
Has anyone seen the trailer for One Punch Man? lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaFvbUi7mU

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet: Akira, Ghost in the shell 1 + 2, Claymore, Full metal Alchemist brotherhood, Macross plus and Deathnote upto episode 8. Are the anime I have watched so far since the thread started. I don't have much time so only want the very best series to watch.

On that (death)note I have bought volumes 2,3 and 4. Yay. Light is quite dark...

Edited on by themcnoisy

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy: Ah, I see. I've watched all the animes you've mentioned before apart from Death Note which I've only seen like the first six episodes.

Jaz007

@themcnoisy: Were you serious about not liking less-serious animes or just joking? Or having you not tried one yet? If so, I'd recommend trying one before you pass judgement.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007: I'm open minded but much prefer the anime which is aimed at a more adult audience. Obviously fma had its fair share of funny moments - but they were based in a serious environment.

@WanderingBullet: Yup - I have previously watched legend of the overbeast, fist of the north star etc - but since this thread began I have made an effort to watch them when I can and that's the little list. All owned on dvd.

RR529

Last night was Toonami Saturday night! (I'll try to be a bit more opinionated this time)

DBZ Kai - Missed it.

Akame ga Kill - Missed first half. They're setting up a fight between Bulat & someone from his past, so next week should be a pretty exciting episode. I'm really starting to get into this one.

Michiko & Hatchin - Pretty decent episode. Focused on one of the supporting characters (she sort of mentored a young girl who reminded her of Michiko at that age). While a nice change of pace, hopefully we get back to the main characters next week.

Sword Art Online II - And apparently this series is now over. While this last arc was very good, it was a sad note to end the series on, and pretty darned anti-climactic in the grand scheme of things. There were some loose ends left open by the first arc of SAOII, and honestly I thought this arc was more of a side attraction, before getting back to that loose end. I guess it leaves things open for an SOAIII sometime in the future. Despite the mixed reaction some people have towards the series, I honestly think the whole SOA series is one of my favorites to air on the revived Toonami, and I'll miss it.

Naruto Shippuden - Hey, this show is finally starting to get me a bit pumped, and it's about darned time! Our heroes have launched a counterattack on the ones who killed one of their friends in a recent episode, and it's got me a bit giddy.

One Piece - A so-so episode, which I assume was filler. Pretty much, Luffy spent the episode helping a little girl find her pet.

Also, they had their first promo for Parasyte: the Maxim, which is taking the place of SOAII next week (doesn't look too interesting, IMO, but I'll give it a fair shake), and they also had a sneak peek at The Martian, which is hitting theaters next weekend (I actually really want to see this). Also, if my cable's info is correct, Kill la Kill is replacing Attack on Titan in the end of block "encore slot", now that AoT has ended it's second run (while I really liked KlK when they first aired it, I was hoping they'd choose InuYasha: the Final Act to get the next encore showing, and am just a tad disappointed).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

themcnoisy

@RR529: The Martian? Sounds spacey. I like the little round ups you do and I wont be going any where near Naruto or One piece as I cant dedicate the time to catch up, so its nice to get an overview. Is the channel you are referring to in the UK?

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy: Haven't heard of Legend of the Overbeast before, is it any good? Fist of the North is good but a little too violent for my liking.

@RR529: Kill la Kill is insane, it kinda reminds me of Gurren Lagann. Haven't watch Parasyte: the Maxim but my friends told me its pretty good. There's even a two part live-action Parasyte movie as well.

RR529

@themcnoisy

• It's the anime block of Adult Swim (Cartoon Network's late night). Not sure if they're in the UK.
  • Also, just for the record, The Martian isn't an anime (or even animated at all). It's a Hollywood flick about an astronaut who gets stuck on Mars, and has to survive until a rescue party can find him. They just promoted it during the block.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Well, I finally worked my way through the Ikkitosen manga (well, the 16 volumes I could find online, anyways). It's not the best fanservice laden martial arts series I've read, but it's not the worst, either.

On the plus side, the art is very detailed & looks great (I assume due to the fact it's a monthly series), the action is really intense (the detailed art helps), and it has you set if you like fanservice (which I don't have an aversion to, otherwise I wouldn't have read it).

The most neutral aspect is definitely the story. It's very loosely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms from Chinese history (with the generals being reincarnated as Tokyo highschool students for whatever reason, and their schools taking the place of the rivaling kingdoms), and it assumes you have a general knowledge of that history (which I'm sure is more common in Japan). It's never too much to follow, it's just that there's a lot of characters to pay attention to, so you have to pay close attention to keep all their alliances in check.

As for the negatives, there were just a few instances of fanservice I was a bit uncomfortable with. As a Seinen series, I understand it's going to go a bit further than what they'd do in Shonen, but it's just not okay to use a torture scene as "just another opportunity" for fanservice. It definitely has enough as to where they didn't need to do it in these few moments, and it also undermines what is supposed to be a very serious moment.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

Just bought guyver the bioboosted armour vol 1,2 and 3. £2 vol 1, 75p vol 2 and £1 vol 3. This was from CEX as I picked up fifa 16 for my kids. They have a designated anime shelf. Bleach volumes 2 and 6 were there bit I'm unsure if you need to watch volume 1...

RR529

Over the past couple days I read through Mazinger Otome.

It's a spinoff of the Mazinger Z series (a series about giant fighting robots), that features a cast of female cyborgs that have the abilities of the robots from the main series (the scientists that created them are fans of the main series, which is still just a manga/anime in their universe).

It's an action comedy, and since it was only 14 chapters long, I decided to breeze through it (be warned though, as there's tons of fanservice).

Now it's time to get into something more serious, with more depth.

@themcnoisy, as for Bleach, as it's a Shonen action series it's not too complicated, but yeah, it's probably best to start from the beginning if you're wanting to get into it.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet: Sold my Japanese subtitled movie 🎬 didn't even watch it. I bought it accidentally.

My second mix up with ebay...

Volume 2 is episodes 9-16. The box I bought had episodes 5-8 (which I've watched in vol 1) and 13-16.

So I'm stuck. What a crock. Complained to the seller and he's promised to send me the disc. I just want to see what happen next in Deathnote!!

Edited on by themcnoisy

Jaz007

So I started watching Pysco-Pass. It's pretty good. The concept of scanning someone's brain and labeling them a criminal is interesting and scary. What's makes it even more so with both is that it's not about fighting against the system, in fact it's about a member of the police.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007: That's right up my street. Psycho pass, is it a new anime?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic