Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,075

SteveButler2210

Also, if anybody knows where I can watch Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original series) that would be much appreciated. Looking around online all I can find at a reasonable price are the new movies (1.11, 2.22 etc). Can't seem to find any sensibly priced box set of the original series. I've been meaning to cross it off the list for a while, as it's one of the big hitters that I regularly see on "Must Watch" lists!

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

[url=http://psnprofiles.com/SteveButler2210][/url...

PSN: SteveButler2210

WanderingBullet

@SteveButler2210:

I wouldn't recommend the AoT live-action movie. It's terrible. :/

Sadly, I've stopped collecting mangas simply because I have no more room for them but thanks for the recommendation anyways. OMG, lol - I've collected Vagabond VIZBIG Editions in the past and even those were heavy and not pratical for long reads. Btw, was the anime exactly like the manga story wise? I thought both the story and animation quality (I really love the detailed backgrounds) were amazing.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

SteveButler2210

@WanderingBullet: from memory I believe the manga explored additional story elements that weren't seen in the film, although it was still largely similar.

Definitely worth a read though for any fan of the movie! Maybe as it's collected in one volume over here just buy it, read it, then sell it on? (You won't, because you'll love it too much, but best intentions and all that haha)

And that's a shame about the AoT movie, that had looked alright from the trailers!

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

WanderingBullet

@SteveButler2210: I see, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, they took too many liberties with AoT and most of them I thought were pretty poor choices.

The Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin live-action trilogy however I highly recommend.

AdamNovice

Having seen the recent Gravity Rush 2 trailer, the city with the tall, almost claustrophobic buildings reminded me of an anime that I can't remember the name of. I think it began with the letter T and was about two boys.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

SteveButler2210

@adf86: What a coincidence, that would be Tekkonkinkreet, which me and @WanderingBullet have been discussing above!

I do kinda see what you mean, but Tekkonkinkreet's city is much darker!

Edited on by SteveButler2210

Wish me luck!

AdamNovice

@SteveButler2210: That's the one, many thanks. Never had the chance to see it but I remember seeing images of it and it looked fantastic.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

WanderingBullet

@adf86: Yes it does. I've rewatched it quite a few times already not only because of the story but also because of how good the city looked.

WanderingBullet

Atlus is supposedly gonna produce a Persona 5 anime. No word on whether it's gonna be in a form of a series or a movie, yet.

Hopefully, its better than the Persona 4 series.

RR529

Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - Missed it, which is too bad as it was the one where Freiza revealed his final form.

Akame ga Kill - A couple members of our group run into a crafty new enemy, and in an absolutely stunning moment, one of our main characters is killed off. Imperial reinforcements ensure the culprit wins the day, and in a turn of events that can't bode well for our cast, an even more fearsome foe arrives in town as well.

Mitchiko & Hatchin - Mitchiko is bedridden, and when Hatchin tries to find help, she is conned by a "spiritual healer". They get things sorted out, and thanks to a newspaper article, they may have a new lead to find Hiroshi.

Sword Art Online II - While her days are numbered, Yuuki is able to experience the outside world once more. Thanks to a device Kirito & Asuna cook up, she's able to interact with the outside world from her hospital bed. Also, Asuna has a heart to heart with her mother about her plans for the future.

Naruto Shippuden - The Leaf Village mourns the loss of a long time character, and Shikimaru in particular has a hard time coming to grips with the reality. Once his mind clears, he gets together with his team to form a plan to get revenge on the culprit(s).

One Piece - While the gang recoups from their all night party, Luffy's mentor has a tense meeting with one of his biggest rivals.

Also, they reviewed Mad Max (PS4/XOne), and they gave it an 8/10.

Note: I usually do my Toonami recap on NL's anime thread, but as it's gone pretty much dead recently (especially after the departure of a certain user), I decided to move it to a more active thread (here).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

@RR529: The thing that impressed me the most about the Michiko to Hachin series was that both the main protagonists wore different clothes and at times had a different hairstyle on every episode. Apart from maybe One Piece, you rarely see that happened with animes simply because it requires a lot of work. The animation quality was pretty good as well.

RR529

WanderingBullet wrote:

@RR529: The thing that impressed me the most about the Michiko to Hachin series was that both the main protagonists wore different clothes and at times had a different hairstyle on every episode. Apart from maybe One Piece, you rarely see that happened with animes simply because it requires a lot of work. The animation quality was pretty good as well.

Yeah, I noticed that as well about Michiko & Hatchin (the clothes thing).

So far the show hasn't really gripped me, though. It does look nice, and I get a kick out of Michiko's personality, but I'm just not really into the show's world (I am interested enough though to see whether or not they find Hiroshi).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SteveButler2210

@RR529: not that anything in your post really fussed me personally, you might want to use spoiler tags in future. Don't really know the series, but the M&H and SAO ones seem like they could be minor spoilers.

Also, others might disagree with me here, but this thread is more for the discussion of anime and manga and I'm not really sure your post fits the bill, as it's a forum not a TV listings guide haha! It's all well and good asking if somebody saw something you wanted to chat about, but just posting a list of what was on seems a bit pointless?

Wish me luck!

RR529

SteveButler2210 wrote:

@RR529: not that anything in your post really fussed me personally, you might want to use spoiler tags in future. Don't really know the series, but the M&H and SAO ones seem like they could be minor spoilers.

Also, others might disagree with me here, but this thread is more for the discussion of anime and manga and I'm not really sure your post fits the bill, as it's a forum not a TV listings guide haha! It's all well and good asking if somebody saw something you wanted to chat about, but just posting a list of what was on seems a bit pointless?

Yeah, back when I first started doing it (on NL) it was supposed to be more of my opinion of each episode, rather than a general recap, but somehow it kinda changed into that (probably because I wanted to write something about each episode, even if nothing really struck me personally). I'll try to make it more about my opinion from now on, rather than a general recap.

Also, yeah, I'll start spoiler tagging if I write something that could be story compromising.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

SteveButler2210 wrote:

I don't know, his posted seemed perfectly fine to me here. He is discussing something Anime related after all. He's telling us his thoughts on each show, and that could start a discussion right there.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

WanderingBullet

@RR529: Yeah, I thought the series was alright but really not worth watching again.

Jaz007

I watched the first two episodes of "The Devil is a Part-Timer" on Netflix last night. Pure gold. The idea behind it is that the devil is sort of gets cast out of hell (though it's all fantasy stuff in that area), comes to the real, losing his powers, and has to get a part-time job McRonalds. It's lived up to all of its potential so far and uses the concept perfectly. I can't wait to watch more of it tonight.

Jaz007

SteveButler2210

@Tasuki: fair enough, maybe it's just me then. Just to me none of it really seemed like opinion, it was just straight up synopsis pretty much like you'd find in a TV guide.

Anyhoo, didn't mean anything by it, just that it would've been cool to hear more opinion on the shows rather than just a summary. Sorry if I came across a bit heavy-handed there @RR529, didn't mean to put you down or anything!

Wish me luck!

themcnoisy

Reordered Death note - ANIME.

Yay. Finally getting around to some of the original recommendations.

Good to see all you peeps know about this stuff. Without this thread I never would of watched full metal achemist which is up there for me on my relatively small list of must see / do / experience list. Hopefully I will get through DN and start watching some more. Being an adult sucks I have no time.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

I finished The Devil is a Part-Timer. Great anime. They better make a second season. It would be a crime for a such a great anime to not get a another season. The story and characters are both great. Definitely my favorite less serious anime (as opposed to Death Note and Brotherhood). I think with Mal (Satan), something is gonna have to give eventually if they continue the show. He's way too nice too quickly for the devil. I don't think he'll betray his friend, but I think eventually there'll be a play for power on his part. There were a few foreshadows of it too. The best of it being when Chi said how could that face try to take over the world, and he said "Yeah, about that" before he got cut off by an event. I like that will probably happen though.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic