Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,681 to 3,698 of 3,698

FuriousMachine

@JohnnyShoulder Right, so CC first is by no means a necessity, if I read you right? Setting aside story/world/continuity concerns, I would also like to get a feel for any QOL disparities. If it feels clunky going from one game to the other because one is an improved experience over the other, I'd rather play the "lesser" game first (as I do plan on playing them all).

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@FuriousMachine I hear some people say Crisis Core feels a bit of a step down from FFVIIR due to it being based on a PSP game and you would think also having a smaller budget.

I had to look up most the references to the original game in FFVIIR due to how long it has been since I've played it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FuriousMachine

@JohnnyShoulder Right. Will probably play Crisis Core first, then. Thanks for the input, mate!
(though, before I get to that, I have some a-Witchering to do)

FuriousMachine

JohnnyShoulder

@FuriousMachine No worries, keeps us posted on how you get on. Be interesting what you make of it when you are new to the series.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Voltan

@FuriousMachine Crisis Core Reunion was marketed as a remaster of the PSP game and while there's a bit more to it than that, you can definitely feel it's mostly an older game, definitely not on par with the new entries. A few months ago I'd even recommend to skip it unless you find yourself really into FFVII - but turns out it's referenced way more than I expected in Rebirth.
There's absolutely no need to play it before Remake though.

Voltan

Th3solution

@FuriousMachine It’s a really good question and one which I also wondered how to approach. My situation is a little different — I played the original back on PS1 and it’s an all-time favorite and was my first of what would become a long love affair with the series, but I never played Crisis Core (despite having a PSP back in the day). And in present times, I have played Remake, but not Rebirth yet.

When I played FF7 Remake, I did feel a tiny bit lost as to some of the secondary prior narrative events which are more thoroughly explored in Crisis Core. But also, it had been so long since my playthrough of the OG FF7 that details of the plot were vague anyways. Nevertheless, a few characters in the story have their origins told in Crisis Core and in the original FF7 it didn’t really feel like those details were essential, but in the Remake I felt like that context is now more important. Perhaps it’s because I’m older now and follow the narrative a little closer than when I was a youngster, but regardless, after seeing the direction Remake had taken things I gauged that Crisis Core would be nice to have under the belt before getting further into the new series. I have a feeling Square-Enix remastered Crisis Core for the very reason that it’s a more essential piece in this new reimagined storyline. And a few other players have recommended to me that it would be a good idea to play CC before Rebirth. However, I suspect that the vast majority of the 2+ million people who’ve played Remake and Rebirth have never played Crisis Core.

So my plan is to play CC before moving on to Rebirth; hopefully I get to both of them this year sometime (I’m feeling some FOMO with the Rebirth hype). What I do wonder is how it will feel playing it “backwards” (CC before Remake) from a game design standpoint. My understanding is that CC is a remaster with updated visuals to make it line up with the Remake’s art and character design, but that they kept the gameplay loop intact from the PSP game. So I fear it will feel like a large step backwards in how it plays. Also, it’s a game designed for a portable so supposedly is made up of smaller and shorter missions and ‘jump in, jump out’ type of game design. It will be especially interesting to see how CC sits with you as your first Final Fantasy game. The basic mechanics of FF and specifically 7’s materia system might feel foreign to you since the original PSP game was clearly designed as an expansion of the original FF7 and I think it assumes some fundamental knowledge of those RPG and battle systems.

So I guess what I’m saying is there’s advantages and disadvantages to doing CC first, but either way I’m eager to hear how you get along with all of these since you’re a FF noob. 😄

Also, don’t sleep on FF16. I think it’s a really good entry point to Final Fantasy. It’s very contemporary in its gameplay philosophy and is less niche as a result. Remake is also quite updated and plays better for a modern audience, but has more classic JRPG roots than 16.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

FuriousMachine

@JohnnyShoulder @Voltan @Th3solution Many thanks for some great and thoughtful insights on this, let's face it, weighty and important issue!
I will come back here and let you all know how I get on with the games; the first of which is currently planned to follow my first Witcher 3 playthrough (which will probably take quite a while, assuming I don't tire of it before completion... seems unlikely, but a huge game like this could overstay its welcome).
After considering all the responses and my own gut, Crisis Core will most likely be the one I start with.
I have FF16 in my backlog as well and I have considered beginning with that one (I also considered going all the way back with the pixel remasters), but I found I really wanted to get stuck in with the massive VII saga as soon as possible.

FuriousMachine

Th3solution

@FuriousMachine You’ve got some epic games on deck!
I’ve toyed with the idea of playing the pixel remasters too. FF1-6 are among the few in the series I’ve missed, along with FF13-3: Lightning Returns and FF15. And I never played the online multiplayer games 11 and 14, nor some of the supplemental stuff like Stranger in Paradise or FF Tactics. I’m usually averse to retro gaming but I might still go back to the pixel games one day.

Witcher 3 is another subject entirely, which I wouldn’t mind exploring (I’ll do so in the appropriate thread). Curious there too to hear a newcomer’s thoughts

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

FuriousMachine

@Th3solution Oh yeah, and there are oh so many more waiting for me further down the line as well. I'm not that into retro gaming either, I typically prefer the shiny new games over the pixelated older ones (or the pixelated new ones, for that matter), but I also know that if the gameplay and/or story is compelling enough, I can easily get sucked into an older game as well. I have both the full collection and the first game standalone on my wishlist waiting for a sale where the price is low enough for it to be a near risk-free purchase.

FuriousMachine

Th3solution

@FuriousMachine One nice thing about the older games is that they aren’t a very big time commitment, apparently. I think FF1 is like less than 20 hrs.

Voltan

Man, I'm doing the Brutal Challenges in Rebirth...
They're kinda brutal (I only have the last one left but it's insane).

Voltan

belmont

After torturing myself with the minigames on Rebirth I finally finished all of them. The final chapter on hard, the final two brutal challenges and the legendary ones are the stuff between me and the Platinum...

belmont

Fatewalker

@Voltan @belmont they indeed abused on the number of minigames and difficulty of some of them.. and also specially the brutal and legendary challenges.. got the plat last week after 200+ hours
I got though the last brutal and legendaries with some help of guides online.. they should have added one checkpoint at least, specially on the ones with 10 rounds.. it's a joke, way too much
that chocobo glide rank 3 minigame in cosmo canyon is also another joke..
Good luck!

Fatewalker

Voltan

I have beat the Brutal Challenges!
Now Legendary Bouts await lol

@Fatewalker I thought the glide wasn't too hard but there's a trick to getting the last one (you have to turn back to gain more altitude at one point)

Voltan

Fatewalker

@Voltan Yes, l've came across with that work around after wasting so much time trying to do it normally. It seems devs didn't test it out or simply a bad design, it doesn't make any sense having to go back, ppl like had to really find some ninja stuff to be able to complete it..
Good luck on the legendary bouts

Fatewalker

Jimmer-jammer

I’m really enjoying Echoes of the Fallen so far. It’s essentially just an extra quest as far as I can tell but it’s been a good one. I’ve now got about 180 hours into this game. When a game clicks it clicks, eh?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is actually a pretty short game if you skip all the optional stuff

Playing all the chapters in hard mode now, for the last couple trophies.
I've done all quests and challenges beforehand so now especially the open world chapters are quite funny, since you can basically go straight to the boss fight and that's it
Played for a few hours and I'm at the end of chapter 7.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic