Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 3,695

nessisonett

Final Fantasy II done. Not much longer than the first and still kinda w***. Made more bearable by the boost function for sure. As AVGN would put it, it’s one of those ‘where the f*ck do I go’ kinda games and I got lost despite having played it before. The soundtrack rules though.

Edited on by DreamlandGem

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

That’s FF3 done now. Not the best game I’ve played, and I suffered through the 3D version too. The addition of auto save makes this the best version of the game by an absolute country mile though, you not longer have the 2 hour slog at the end of the game.

nessisonett

Kinda steamrolling these now. That’s FF4 down. Great game made even better by the remaster, although it’s still pretty hard. New soundtrack is great for the most part but I might just prefer the SNES soundfont.

Voltan

@nessisonett Are the old FF games that short? I think V is the oldest one I played (but I barely remember it, other than the job system - if that was even in there) and VI was kinda massive for a SNES game.

Voltan

belmont

I have also started the platinum hunt on the Pixel Remaster games. I already have the platinum in FF1 to 5 and working my way in 6. I already have the platinum in 7, 7 Remake, 9 and 12. I may have to tackle 8 and 10 and 10-2 after.

To be fair getting the platinum in FF 1 to 5 was not that hard. I know those games by heart and the fast forward auto battles + boosters help a lot.

belmont

nessisonett

@Voltan Being able to turn battles on and off is an absolute godsend. Just grinding when you want and even cutting down the number of battles you need to level up is a brilliant addition. IV took me about 10 hours and was easily the hardest but the other 3 are quite short as they’re NES games. I played V last year but I’m going through it again and expect it to take me longer.

nessisonett

Final Fantasy V done. Quite a bit longer than the others and still a ludicrous grind even with 4x Job EXP. Probably the best gameplay wise out of the turn based games though.

LtSarge

I've been playing FFVII Remake for around a dozen hours now and I'm loving it the more I play. I'm falling in love with the characters (especially Tifa) thanks to the modern translation of them from the original game. Moreover, the music is still fantastic, the gameplay is solid and I absolutely love the upgrade/inventory management system. Granted, I feel like I'm spending way too much time in the menus rather than playing the actual game. But that's actually contributing to my overall enjoyment of it, as I've customised the characters according to certain styles. Tifa e.g. focuses more on physical attacks while Barret now has a combination of both ranged and magic attacks, which is super satisfying. Not to mention that whenever I play the game on PS5 after having played something like Zelda, I definitely get the feeling that I'm playing a next-gen game. The DualSense feels great, the graphics in FF are great, the load-times are super fast and it just feels like I'm playing a next-gen game, even though it originally came out on PS4. Absolutely loving it!

LtSarge

LtSarge

Aerith just joined my party and I honestly got a bit worried. Because in the original game, she was pretty much useless in terms of her basic attacks. Seeing as how the remake is more of a real-time JRPG, you have to use basic attacks more often. Fortunately, the devs seemed aware of this and actually made her basic attacks more useful. Instead of swinging a stick, she shoots magic from it and that's pretty dang cool. The attacks are fairly powerful as well. I need to use her more in battle but it seems like they've actually made Aerith really good in the remake. I might actually replace Barret with her seeing as how she's a ranged user as well.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge Aerith is definitely an upgrade on the remake compared to the original game, both in the usefulness in battle as well as just a character in general. She’s much more endearing and they fleshed out her personality so much better with the remake.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Th3solution I think that's the way with a lot of the characters actually. They come to life more when given a voice and more time to express themselves. It's hard to grasp who someone really is over text compared to actually listening to them. After listening to Aerith for a while, I got the impression that she's a very innocent girl. I don't really remember what I thought of her in the original game, but considering I didn't remember how innocent she is I'm guessing I didn't think like that back then.

As a side note, I'm starting to appreciate that Square Enix has expanded the game into multiple parts. It just feels fitting for FF7 given what an adventure it felt like compared to the FF titles that came before it. They're truly doing the game justice by going down this route. I genuinely cannot wait to play Rebirth.

LtSarge

belmont

I think that it is time to put my Final Fantasy Platinum hunt at a temporary rest. Within the last couple of weeks I got the Platinum in FF Pixel Remaster 1 to 6 and in FF8 while I have the Platinum in 7, 7 Remake, 9, 12, 13-2 and 15. In 7 Remake and 15 I don't have 100% though due to the updates that I did not all the trophies on and I don't think I will attempt 13 and 13-3 anytime soon since they never released the game in PS4. Someday I will tackle 10 and 10-2 (I really like both games) but maybe after 16.

@LtSarge I never liked Aeris in the original game. Her attitude got annoying fast and in the battle she died easily. She had some overpowered limit breaks but, well, you never had the change to grind for them.

This weekend I played the New Threat Mod. My opinion is somewhat mixed. They seem to have changed the story based on knowledge of the whole compilation of FF7 which is fine but I am not sure how much stuff was in the OG FF7s writers or was simply lost in the translation. The first time I played the OG FF7 back in the 90's I got the impression that Jenova was controlling Sephiroth's action and her is the actual main villain since he seems to carry her plan, although, since I replayed the game countless of times it is left somewhat vague. Hojo and Cloud clearly think Sephiroth is calling the shots though and the compilation of FF7 somewhat confirms it I guess.

belmont

nessisonett

@belmont I’ve always thought that everything after Nibelheim was Jenova. Like Sephiroth was just being used as a vessel rather than being in control.

johncalmc

Does anybody play Final Fantasy XIV?

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you play the game solo now? I know in one of the earlier updates - I have no idea which one - they started flirting with letting you go through dungeons with AI companions instead of humans. Is this more widespread now?

2. Is it easy to start the game over from the beginning and can you trade between your two characters?

I ask because I'm considering starting the game again. Pretty daft, I know, but I loved Final Fantasy XIV only I haven't played it for so long I can't remember anything that was happening or where I was or anything. I'm thinking of starting again with a fresh character and just dipping into it once a week or so to keep it fresh, rather than what I was doing previously of playing it for months straight and then not touching it for a year and having no idea what was happening.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@AgentCooper I am, but funds are a bit low at the moment. Cheers for the heads up though!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Matroska

@AgentCooper The problem is I want the pin more than anything they have for sale 😅
That Persona 5 black and red t-shirt would be cool without the P5 logo. Joel's shirt is cool too but it costs as much as a game. Oh well.

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

nessisonett

Ok that demo was very very good. I’m a big fan of how they’ve merged the classic fantasy with more modern grimdark tendencies in a way that doesn’t feel naff. The combat’s pretty good too. It’ll probably be a while before I play it though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic