Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 3,696

Voltan

@Thrillho I find it a little funny that fantasy settings are expected to use British accents every time, because somehow doing anything else "wouldn't be authentic", even if the world is completely fictional and has nothing to do with Britain.
To be clear: I don't mind it at all, just think it's funny

Also: the only characters you can count on being in the game every time are: Biggs, Wedge and Cid

Voltan

kyleforrester87

@Voltan but FF16 does obviously seem heavily inspired by middle ages europe though, both clothing and certain environments. I am guessing they'll use certain language (individual words or certain phrases) from that period too.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

johncalmc

Thrillho wrote:

Are we going to have Darren and Lauren joining Clive on his adventures then? I also look forward to the Scouse and Geordie accents I assume are in the game too then.

They don't let people from the North East on games or TV or movies. Nobody understands a damned word we're saying.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thrillho

@johncalmc Better than having the West Midlands accent just being used for the thicko peasants.

It was quite weird hearing so many Welsh accents in Elden Ring as well.

Thrillho

johncalmc

@Thrillho If I ever make a game I'm going to cast someone from the West Midlands as a nuclear physicist. Someone needs to stop this. It's not on.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc That’s why I was so happy with Mimir in God of War actually being intelligent. Scottish people in games are either angry shouty drunks or creepy merchants. Reminds me of that video where the posh news guy tries to get the bloke from Middlesbrough to say butter ‘correctly’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

I'm going to give XV a try, as it's free with PS+ on PS5. I'm confronted by a big list with things to install. Now, I kinda don't want to be overwhelmed, so I'm actually in favour of the bare minimum experience. Are the "Episodes" like DLC in that they are separate from the main story? And what about the ROYAL PACK? Does it improve the main game? Is it end-game stuff?

Will be my first FF game by the way.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Interesting that FFXV will be your first in the series. It’s actually one of the few mainline games I haven’t played, even though I’ve been a fan since the OG FFVII. I figured most long-time gamers have tried something in the FF series by now, but I also can see how it can be overwhelming to try and get into.

Of course the good thing is all FF games are completely independent of one another, as far as narrative. The carryover with gameplay is also minimal, with just borrowed terminology for the naming of the elemental attacks and summons being some of the few similarities.

As for your query, I don’t know but I have heard the base experience within the Royal content is a bit shallow and does feel incomplete. I think there’s is a reasonable ending without having to play the extra episodes, but most people were pretty disappointed with the overall story, if my memory serves. The extra DLC episodes were also very hit-or-miss on quality, so I don’t know that the extra content really solved the issue anyways. I seem to recall there was one or two particular episodes that actually added important narrative threads, but can’t remember which it was. In fact, I want to say there was other planned DLC that just never got released because the game didn’t perform well enough to support any more added content.

Maybe someone else with first hand knowledge can chime in, but I think the episodes are all post-game separate playable entities, rather than seamlessly integrated into the story, even though I think some episodes feel like they are probably chronologically concurrent or occur before the main story. I don’t know though.

If you like retro gaming, I think FF7-FF12 are on PS+Extra (minus the online only FF11) and they are all excellent in their own way, with my personal favorites being FF7 and FF12, but opinions are all over the map. And as with many old games, I hear that time hasn’t treated some of the ancient mechanics very well.

I’ll be interested how you end up liking FF15 as a first exposure to the series. I’ve had it in my backlog for ages.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Fight_Teza_Fight

So I’m thinking about finally starting FFVII:R.
It is the PS+ version so I haven’t got the Yufie DLC.
Is it available for PS4 now & if yes is it vital to the story?
I might just skip it if it’s not, as I’m usually not into story dlc.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

CJD87

@Fight_Teza_Fight
AFAIK - unfortunately no, the Yuffie DLC is not available for PS4 (only PS5 sadly).

However, I have played through both FF7R and the Yuffie DLC.... I can confirm it is a nice 'side dish' but certainly not essential to the story at all.

RE. Yuffie DLC - There is however 1 scene after the credits roll which is pretty interesting in setting up the rest of the 'Remake trilogy'. I would recommend you watch this end credits scene on Youtube, BUT only after you have beaten the main game FF7R!

So basically play through all of FF7R base game, then youtube the end-credits scene from Yuffie DLC.

Enjoy, its a cool game

CJD87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@CJD87 Thanks just about to start it. I was going to wait & play it closer to Crisis Core, but there’s a lot coming out soon.
Will watch the Yufie DLC on Youtube.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Thrillho

@Fight_Teza_Fight I hope you enjoy the Remake!

As said, the DLC sort of intertwines with the main story at points but isn't essential but does set up Yuffie for her part in the next game.

I was a bit indifferent to the DLC overall to be honest but I think that's because I came into it having replayed the main game as NG+ with all my top level materia so just waltzed through whereas with Yuffie's story I kind of had to learn how to actually play the game properly again.

Thrillho

Fight_Teza_Fight

Final Fantasy 7 Remake done. That leaves only 8, 9 & 11 from the mainline games.

Perhaps if DQ Offline does well FF11 gets an offline version so I can get that off the list.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

CJD87

@Fight_Teza_Fight I've not played 11, but I've done 8 & 9.

IMO - 8 is quite underrated, and is actually a pretty decent game. It had an impossibly difficult act to follow, in being released after the commercial behemoth that was 7....

9 is actually my favorite FF entry in the entire series, a simple but brilliant story + great/memorable characters. The battle system is pretty much my favorite also.

I understand 11 is contentious, I've personally not played, but seems to be a marmite game?

CJD87

colonelkilgore

I’ve mentioned many times that I’m a bit of a Final Fantasy noob, as well as someone who always struggles to enjoy turn-based action but… I’ve recently picked up almost all of the available FF games in the back catalog (just waiting on a decent sale price for Final Fantasy VIII).

For some reason (and I’m aware of how much this/these particular installment(s) are reviled), I’m feeling strangely drawn to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy and considering playing all three this year… am I mad? All I’ve heard is hate and I guess that has piqued my curiosity in some strange ‘glutton-for-punishment’ kinda way. Are there any fans of these three games out there and if so why?

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore Have you seen the recent Digital Foundry retrospective about those games? It might help you decide.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic